Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Dr. Seuss question

What is the relationship, if any, between Horton's Whos and the Grinch's Whos?

I think they're the same.

In Grinch, they live in a snowflake instead of a piece of dust. Summer/Winter, Yin/Yang, the duality of Whos, etc etc.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

There is a who inside every snowflake... don't let the folks at PETA know about this or we will be highkjacked by activists and not allowed to ski!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

In Grinch, they live in a snowflake instead of a piece of dust. Summer/Winter, Yin/Yang, the duality of Whos, etc etc.
    Agreed. Coincidentally, I just had this conversation with someone about 3 days ago.

Horton is riding the Grinch's DVD coat tails,the bum!
    Calmer than you dude

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post

Damn. Its never even crossed my mind.

I think the who's in the grinch are a snowflake in the who's speck of dust...

195 Lab Swallowtail
    186 Moment Donner Party
    182 Moment Reno Freebird
    180 Moment Tahoe

I'm gonna live forever if the good die young

Life is a suicide mission

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdownhiller View Post
    I think the who's in the grinch are a snowflake in the who's speck of dust...
    Mind=Blown

advres Guest
    The real question is, are you a plain-belly or star-belly Sneetch

One has Roger Daltry and the other one does not. I forget which is which.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Damn. Its never even crossed my mind.
    Well you need small particles to make snow...

Who??????

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

When I was a kid I loved On Beyond Zebra about made up letters that weren't in the alphabet. I think what I liked most about it was laughing when my mother tried to pronounce the funny names.

The young narrator, not content with the confines of the ordinary alphabet, reports on additional letters beyond Z, with a fantastic creature corresponding to each new letter. For example, the letter "FLOOB" is the first letter in Floob-Boober-Bab-Boober-Bubs, which have large buoyant heads and float serenely in the water.

In order, the letters, followed by the creatures for which the letters are the first letter when spelling their names, are YUZZ (Yuzz-a-ma-Tuzz), WUM (Wumbus), UM (Umbus), HUMPF (Humpf-Humpf-a-Dumpfer), FUDDLE (Miss Fuddle-dee-Duddle), GLIKK (Glikker), NUH (Nutches), SNEE (Sneedle), QUAN (Quandary), THNAD (Thnadners), SPAZZ (Spazzim), FLOOB (Floob-Boober-Bab-Boober-Bubs), ZATZ (Zatz-it), JOGG (Jogg-oons), FLUNN (Flunnel), ITCH (Itch-a-pods), YEKK (Yekko), VROO (Vrooms), and HI! (High Gargel-orum).

The book ends with an unnamed letter that is substantially more complicated than those with names. A list of all the additional letters is shown at the end.

6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways

Six Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published because they "portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong," the business that preserves the author's legacy said.

The titles are:
    "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
    "If I Ran the Zoo"
    "McElligot's Pool"
    "On Beyond Zebra!"
    "Scrambled Eggs Super!"
    "The Cat's Quizzer"
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    When I was a kid I loved On Beyond Zebra about made up letters that weren't in the alphabet. I think what I liked most about it was laughing when my mother tried to pronounce the funny names.
    How did you ever manage not to grow up to be a raciest bigot?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

The young narrator, not content with the confines of the ordinary alphabet, reports on additional letters beyond Z, with a fantastic creature corresponding to each new letter. For example, the letter "FLOOB" is the first letter in Floob-Boober-Bab-Boober-Bubs, which have large buoyant heads and float serenely in the water.

In order, the letters, followed by the creatures for which the letters are the first letter when spelling their names, are YUZZ (Yuzz-a-ma-Tuzz), WUM (Wumbus), UM (Umbus), HUMPF (Humpf-Humpf-a-Dumpfer), FUDDLE (Miss Fuddle-dee-Duddle), GLIKK (Glikker), NUH (Nutches), SNEE (Sneedle), QUAN (Quandary), THNAD (Thnadners), SPAZZ (Spazzim), FLOOB (Floob-Boober-Bab-Boober-Bubs), ZATZ (Zatz-it), JOGG (Jogg-oons), FLUNN (Flunnel), ITCH (Itch-a-pods), YEKK (Yekko), VROO (Vrooms), and HI! (High Gargel-orum).

The book ends with an unnamed letter that is substantially more complicated than those with names. A list of all the additional letters is shown at the end.

6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways

Six Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published because they "portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong," the business that preserves the author's legacy said.

The titles are:
    "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
    "If I Ran the Zoo"
    "McElligot's Pool"
    "On Beyond Zebra!"
    "Scrambled Eggs Super!"
    "The Cat's Quizzer"
    Those first three were childhood staples. I had never heard of the last three until today.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    How did you ever manage not to grow up to be a raciest bigot?
    yeah well.... I do remember two instances where I need a "correction" from my parents for repeating something I'd heard but it didn't come from Dr. Seuss.

Not sure what is wrong with On Beyond Zebra. Haven't been able to find an article that mentions it but I think it might be the alphabet itself. I don't think I have a copy of the book anymore but I might as I have an extensive collection of children's books.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	books.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	365580

From Wikipedia:

Judith and Neil Morgan, Geisel's biographers, note that most of the letters resemble elaborate monograms, "perhaps in Old Persian".[2]
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

yeah well.... I do remember two instances where I need a "correction" from my parents for repeating something I'd heard but it didn't come from Dr. Seuss.

I always recall an experience in middle school when I referred to the Japanese by a shortened name that carries a derogatory connotation developed from World War II. We weren't discussing World War II at the time, but the teacher snapped at me that I couldn't use that word. I retorted, that "Well if we can call the British the 'Brits', then why can't we call the Japanese....." I was probably too naive to understand it at the time, but that experience always irked me because I didn't have a negative intention with the word, it just felt like a natural shortening of the name.

Oh well, society sometimes dictates what's acceptable and what's not. That was just one of those learning experiences.

[Dr. Seuss] remains popular, earning an estimated $33 million before taxes in 2020, up from just $9.5 million five years ago, the company said. Forbes listed him No. 2 on its highest-paid dead celebrities of 2020, behind only the late pop star Michael Jackson.
    Seuss is getting cancelled yet MJ is ok.

Alrighty then...

Oh I thought this thread was about Phish lyrics.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

growing up in the deep south...

What's funny is that by far my favorite books growing up were andrew henry's medow; (who knows were that was set) -

Bought a few 10 years ago on ebay. As magical as I remembered.
    "Can't you see..."

I don't think we are permitted to like Dr. Seuss are we? He was officially cancelled by Biden.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I don't think we are permitted to like Dr. Seuss are we? He was officially cancelled by Biden.
    Oh just fuck right off.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Fake news.
    But on national reading day, Biden omitted mention of Theodore Giesels birthday. So yeah there’s that.

Most of the cancellations are for illustrations. Not for dr Seuss words. So just change the pictures and republish.

This shit makes me want to get a pancake platter at little black sambos.
    . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	books.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	365580
    FREE CANDY

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post

What's funny is that by far my favorite books growing up were andrew henry's medow; (who knows were that was set) -
    Is that the one on Waldron Island?

Also, ‘Scrambled Eggs Super’ was in heavy rotation at our house. Saw all of those others except the Alphabet on -> sounds fun!