Flylow vs. Arc'teryx - Ski Pants

Need to buy a new pair of ski pants. I'm sick of buying cheap ones and having them fall apart.

I do 40% backcountry, 60% resort. Live in Colorado. Don't want a bib. Want venting.

Was taking a look at three different pants:

1. Arc'teryx Scorpion
    2. Arc'teryx Sidewinder
    3. Flylow Chemical Pant

Comments? Suggestions>

A friend of mine just got some new flylows. He's stoked on 'em and they look burly. That's all I've got.

I have scorpions and like them quite a bit.
    The vents do a nice job, but all in all they are probably warmer than the sidewinders.
    One Negative: No skuff guards on the ankle. I have a few slits, but nothing that causes concern
    One Positive: The gore softshell is soft and quiet.

No Experience with the others.

I've got the flylow Drop Kick pant. Primarily use this pant for touring. Same as the Chemical but softshell material instead of the hardshell on the Chemical pants. Both have burly reinforced knees, and reinforced inner ankles. Huge vents on the outside of the legs running up to the waist. Smaller inner vents (about half the size). Cross flow works really well for venting. Just got them this season so can't attest to durability, but no problems so far. Think the chemical pant would be a good choice. Local CO company to boot.

One drawback I have noticed is that my knee sweats a little under the reinforced fabric, right on the kneecap. Weird I know, but true. Only negative I've seen so far.

i have been helping the flylow guys out a little bit this season and have to say that they are a solid group that make quality stuff.

i really dig my chemical pants. super bomber (ie. i would be shocked if you were to get severe edge cuts), waterproof material that has great venting. no-nonsense stuff at a great price.

its BC gear for those that don't want to look like a euro-freak.

feel free to stop by my shop or hit up sir dobish-alot @ bent gate.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Arc'Teryx Scorpion... Best pant I have ever had and I have several pairs of Arc'Teryx pants and have used many others. As pointed out it does not have a scuff guard per say, but the cuff itself and the protection around the bottom is the most bomber I have owned. The fit is really relaxed compared to other Arc'Teryx pants but definitely not steezy. Although I will say I have not tried the flylow.
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Got a few days on my Fly Low Drop Kick pant and I love them. Super comfy and the materials look like they will last a long long time - plus they have a ton of vents which is super nice for the BC. And like someone said, its nice to support a CO company.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    feel free to stop by my shop or hit up sir dobish-alot @ bent gate.
    Looking for a softshell pant ,if I left now I would be there by saturday so maybe you could answer a fit question on the Dropkick instead ?I take a 30/32 inseam waist , small or medium ,I don't need to show off my boxers just a reasonable fit ?

For B/C, and if you sweat for yr turns, may I highly recommend the Mammut Castor if you want a lightweight, Schoeller softshell.

Agreed on all points above on the pants, but haven't tried Flylow. A'T makes quality gear, pick the pant that fits.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    ..... and have to say that they are a solid group that make quality stuff.

i really dig my chemical pants. super bomber (ie. i would be shocked if you were to get severe edge cuts), waterproof material that has great venting. no-nonsense stuff at a great price.

its BC gear for those that don't want to look like a euro-freak.
    My sentiments exactly- my favorite ski pants so far. Room enough for knee pads/ body armor without the "Newschooler" look. Me thinks that they will last a long, long time.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Looking for a softshell pant ,if I left now I would be there by saturday so maybe you could answer a fit question on the Dropkick instead ?I take a 30/32 inseam waist , small or medium ,I don't need to show off my boxers just a reasonable fit ?
    I have a 30 inseam and 31 waist and the small is good for me.

thanx Raps sounds like the small would be good for a 30/32 if I can find one on-line

Thanks guys. I didn't realize the Scorpion was a softshell and did not have scuff guards at the ankles. Thansk for the heads up, Xtrpickels.

Definetly need scuff guards. Kind of sounds like the flylow gear is more my style. I want something a little more baggy.

Another vote for the Chemical pant...

Very quality gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

how's flylow for the 35" inseam crowd?.....one reason i went with the arcteryx minuteman bib (tall sizes avail)

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    how's flylow for the 35" inseam crowd?.....one reason i went with the arcteryx minuteman bib (tall sizes avail)
    You will prob be right on the edge. FYI- I am 6'4" tall with a 34" inseam and they fit me nice- not too long and not too short (as if that helps) They definitely come down to the top of the boot and crease- barely.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

I use the FlyLow Drop kick

I love this softshell pant, Skinned in damn near rain for two hours and didnt get wet. they have bean Bomb proof so far other than i broke one of the silly zipper pull thingies. My only real complaint is i have to pull the belt out of my jeans and put them on the ski pants everyday( i know i need to buy another belt ). At first i wished there was something guarding snow from getting in threw the leg vents while hiking in deep snow, but then i realized i could adjust or put on my knee pads much easier because of this.

My roomate saw the construction and functionality of my dropkicks.... this was enough for him to purchase the Chemical pant. He hasnt complained yet.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Go with the smalls. i am the same size and have them... plenty of room and super comfy, seriously i feel like i am wearing sweat pants in my livingroom.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

don't overlook the patagonia pants. the goretex (patagonia version) rubicon is hella burly and has similar cut / style as the flylows, and a super nice wicking liner.

for touring, the patagonia light smoke works great. hardshell butt/knees/inner calves, softshell everywhere else, and also has the steezy non-euro-fag cut.

and since patagucci will repair or replace the pants 10 or 50 years from now, you'll never need to buy another pair again.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

PROPS TO FLYLOW CHEMICAL PANT

First time wearing these pants was recently on a cat skiing trip up in Canada. These pants were bomber. Waterproof and durable. Had to do some bushwacking through trees and alder. They peformed great. Happy with my purchase.

I like these late entry follow-ups.

flylow is a good company. a friend of mine is in tight with them. all his gear is really nice. support them, good people with good gear.

You don't see Flylow up here and I would rather Buy something I can try on ,Thot I would see more selection in Banff but NOT much product in a tourist ski town that would fit me

I ended up with the Arcteryx Fury AR pant found in of all places ... Williams lake at Redshreds bike & board shed ,bro cut me a deal too

I forget when I have them on ...I figure that must be the sign of a good product

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Norrona. At 6'5" it's the best cut I've ever owned.

hear hear

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I like these late entry follow-ups.
    dido...props for what ends up being a reveiw of sorts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...