Black Diamond O1, G3 Ascent, or Voile Switchback

so ive got $300 of christmas money to blow and i need new tele binders. i want a bindings with a tour mode so its been narrowed down to the O1, Ascent, of Switchbacks. If anyones got any opinions or advice on these thatd be great. im 5'11" 165lbs on a 188 super stinx so i need a pretty burly binding to drive them. thanks.

There's a general concensus out there, so be a good boy and Search for it.
    Otherwise, you can pay me some of your christmas cash and I'll tell you the answer.

Here's a hint "Targa Ascent" (what could I possibly mean by that?)

Do the Super Stinx have the K2 inserts? If so, I'd stick with a four-hole pattern (the O1s are, the Ascents are not, and I don't know about the Switchbacks).

Other than that, I have no opinion yet, as I haven't actually skied on my Ascents, although I have skied on and enjoyed the O1s. My biggest problem with them is not having enough free-pivot bindings for all my tele skis, so it becomes a dilemma when the snow gets thin as to whether I go with rock skis (which suck for skinning) or good skis (which I don't like to ski on wet grass).

no the super stinx dont have the k2 inserts. the voiles are hardwire so they would probably be the stiffest and easiest to turn in correct?

The Super Stinx does not need a burl binding to drive it and anything based on the G3 Targa (that would be the Ascent) is a POS that has been blown out of the water by the last 10 years of rigid rod or plate bindings. If you're looking for a tour mode, that leaves the O1, the Switchback, and the Rotte R8 Tour (if you can find it).

If I had to buy one of these three bindings, I'd buy the Switchback. It's simple and light and low stack height. The Rotte and G3 have 40mm of stack which is awesome if you're carving zee piste, but gets finicky in variable conditions. The Rotte tour mode also has a bit of play and has gone into walk mode at the wrong time on me more than once. I haven't skied the O1 or the Switchback but the O1 is more expendo and weighs more (I think).
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Just landed my first pair of BD 01's, can't wait to get on them, I'll post what I find...

All of those bindings ski very differently. Search around on TelemarkTips, it's been discussed quite extensively over there.

I run two pairs of O1s and two pairs of Hammerheads on my skis.

I like the way the O1s and HHs ski. (I think the O2s ski slightly better than the O1s though.)

That said, if I was touring a lot on a specific ski, the Switchbacks are lighter. But again, they ski very differently. O1 is (from what I've heard) more active (i.e. flex resistance) than the Switchback, especially with rid. stiff carts. In terms of torsional rigidity, the Switchbacks might edge (pardon the pun) out the O1s, but I have no trouble railing hardpack with G3 Tickets and O1s.

Some people like Targas. I don't. Other G3 products are sweet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I bought a pair of the Switchbacks last year for a pair of 181 Work Stinx(switched from a Rotte R8), like the way they ski and they are definitely great for touring.

i've skied all of them. for a general purpose touring rig where weight is somewhat important, the switchback wins hands down. simple mechanism; mine have never iced up.

ttips has numerous reports of the BD O1's having issues (pivot slop developing, tour mode switch issues, and a weird trend of rear mount holes ripping out of the ski). they ski pretty well but are much heavier than the switchback.

G3 became an irrelevant tele gear company years ago. yes i'm aware that many ski them. many people drive crappy american sedans too. big deal. I cannot think of a single reason why anyone would want the Ascent over the Switchback. The whole 'convenience' factor of a tour mode binding is degraded if the mechanism tends to ice up. And the switchback skis better than the ascent regardless.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

how about 7tm tour ? Anybody who has kacked a tib/fib is generaly on or at least thinking about a releasable ... I have been on the all mountains since february 2002

I had a pair of O1s and thought they were heavy and too active (mid stiff cartridges). Active is good for hard conditions but bad for pow in my experience and I thought the O1 was terrible for that reason in backcountry/soft condtions. The added stack height of the O1 didn't help either, as noted.

I replaced them with switchbacks and couldn't be happier. Lighter, great pow performance, simple design, and good on hard snow as well. I think the O1 is more like the tele equivalent of the Duke/Baron - powerful and good for short tours but not really a true binding for longer backcountry tours. Personally I would rather have the switchback on the lifts, too, but that's just more my personal preference.

Of course I'm sure that plenty of folk go on big tours with the O1 but that doesn't mean they're ideal for the task. Of course, trying is the best way to know what you're going to like best.

all right well thanks for all ur info i think im gonna go with the O1s as im mostly doing on piste riding with a little touring every now and then. ill let you know how they workout once i get them and try them out.

Quote Originally Posted by sdf9235 View Post
    im mostly doing on piste riding with a little touring every now and then. ill let you know how they workout once i get them and try them out.
    O1s are perfect for that, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

just my 2 cents

went on a short hour tour yesterday and my 01's weren't working very well(ice in the switch plate deal) so went back to car and brought our the hippy stix and hammer heads. the HH are alot more work for hell it was better than a possible break on the 01;s and the HH were so much more fun on the way down

sparknotes: for long tours go with the light, side-country suck up the pair and enjoy the power on the way down