Review: Prophet 100

I know there have been quite a few reviews for this already but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents as well.

Prophet 100 - 186 - Mounted on the line with STH 14's.

Me: 6'1, 180, Skiing many years, fairly aggressive, although I have become slightly more cautious the last few years (i.e. very drops over 25 feet). I can ski nearly anything with confidence. Mostly ski Whistler/Blackcomb or else trips to Nelson area for resort or sled skiing.

Other skis I have liked: Volkl G4's 188 (really liked it, my old main ski, as long as you were pushing it was a great ski, needed some speed to come alive), Salomon Gun 18x's (really liked the shape, but a touch soft), Rossi Scratch BC 18x's (nice in chopped up stuff, not so much on groomers), Head mojo 90(ok, thought it was a little boring, no snap)

Location: Baker with about 5 inches of dry new snow, but still early season conditions, lots of exposed rocks and trees. Patches of the mountain were great, others not so much.

The Ski: My first impression wasn't too positive, I'd heard a lot of good things about these ski's so I had high hopes. I had gotten a good deal on them so picked them up before trying thinking they would ski like a tougher/faster Salomon Gun. I think the mounting point is what was really effecting my initial impression. The line is very far forward, in fact I had nearly an identical amount of ski ahead of the binding as a friend on some old school 170's. It took a lot of the day before i was comfortable with such a short tip. Finding the balance point on these took a bit of time, it wasn't as natural as some others I had tried. The ski didn't float as well as I had hoped, but it really came alive in certain conditions.

It was amazing in tight steep trees were you neede to make quick turns, I found I could fly through some really tight really steep areas.
    The ski was very solid landing jumps and drops. I hit a nice little 15' drop with some speed and felt total control on the landing. The Prophets spun nicely, I'm not a park rat by any means, but 3's were very easy. They carved really well for a 'wide' ski, although there was no ice to try. They went as fast as I wanted them too while still feeling very stable. I felt strange with such a short tip, but they still flew flew through powder and cut up powder effortlessly.

As it was earlly season condtions and I hit quite a few trees and rocks, some with a lot of speed, and only 2 scratches. One was pretty deep and at the edge, but the edge held up well (at the start of my first run too)

After reading my review it sounds like the ski is worse then it is. I actually liked it a lot, I just felt like I was mounted too far forward. I really liked the flex, it was quick side to side, turned really easily, very stable, handled chopped powder well, solid on landings, good at speed.

Now I'm left with a question, what do you think? Learn to ski with a centre mounting point or remount them back a bit? Also, will 1 or 2 cm's actually make much difference? When I see people saying +1 or +2 are they talking cm's or inches?
    Thanks for any responses
    p.s.
    Baker was fun, but really needs another foot or two before it's worth a trip. Bring rock skis if you're heading there soon!

If you compare the p-100's line to line's freestyle skis it is still a long way back of there lines or a centre mount. I went one back from the line and agree that at first it felt a long way forward but you soon get used to it. Pretty soon you won't even notice it, the deffinetley ski like a directional ski and have never really found myself wanting to move any further back or forward. They still charge pretty hard, and i think the forward mount gives them there blend of nimbleness and stability. +1 or 2 is cm's.

I've got mine at -1. They seem solid and nimble. Some days I wish they were on the line for tighter terrain and skied up stuff, other days it would be nice to have them -2/3 for deep snow. However, all told I'm getting used to them and they are quite fun.

I'd say learn to ski them where they are at. If you end up in deeper snow a bunch, you may try -1.5 or so, and yes it makes a big difference. So long as you don't plan on selling them, changing the mount is no big deal, often you can move just the toe if you've got some space to adjust the heel.

The Prophets take a couple of days to get used to but then WOW. I'm 6'2", 195 lbs, have the same ski mounted on the line and skied Baker 20+ years so hopefully I have a pretty good idea what and where you're skiing. You could remount but I'm a little heavier and taller yet have never had the tips dive even in waist deep Rockies blower let alone the denser stuff at Baker. Like h2h and guuniride said, give them a little time and you will quickly grow to love them esp. in things like Hairy Scary or the Chutes of the ridge

I am 5'11" 160ish and I have my 186 prophet 100s mounted at -2 (102cm from the tip). I really like the mount point there, but i still do not feel like they have great float in the pow. These skis have become my go-to ski for everything but fresh pow, but that is what I have my Praxis for. I'm not too sure if mounting the skis 2cm back of the line will solve all of your issues, but it will help.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to keep them where they are for a while. They may not have floated like a super fatty, but they still did ok. I wouldn't want to lose out on their quickness in tighter areas - they really impressed my in tight places. If they still feel a little strange after another couple days I'm going to try moving them back a bit, probably 1.5cm's behind the line. I'm sure I'll learn to find the sweet spot soon enough, I can't wait to get out again and go rip it up some more. These are a very fun every day ski, might have to pick up a real fatty too though and round my quiver out some more.

I'm 6'2" , 180. have my 186's mounted -1.5 and love it. I like the longer tip to plow over cut-up crap. In my opinion -1.5 does make a significant difference. My Line-junkie friend, has been skiing Line's since the first twin tip Darksides, and swears by the center mount, once you get used to it. I'll probably give it a try on my next pair...he did say that they feel quicker as you mentioned.

Also, an addition to the review which you started to touch on, is the bases/edges on these things are as bombproof as possible. I have hit many rocks early season, and yet to have a core-shot. Impressed by the durability of the Line bases.
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

I have had quite a few core shots on my 100's, i have the yellow ones with clear bases. I believe clear bases are the least durable type, which would explain itbut i might be talking out my .... Edges are solid though.

I have the same ones, 07-08's. core shots will happen to any ski, but i was more comparing them to other skis i've owned, they're def. better. just MO.
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

I'm not sure about the bases, I got a core shot right against the edge on my first run at low speed just sliding over the top of small drop. I did hit some more rocks going faster without much damage, but the deep scratch from low speed rock worried me a bit. In the one day I did a lot of damage but all on the same ski for some reason. The edges held up fine even with the core shot leading into the edge. Scratches happen and I expect them, but the bases on my Volkls seemed tougher.

damn i cant wait to get on my pair that i just got..i got 179's but im thinking about trading them for the 186's. Im only 5 10 160 but it seems like people like the 186's alot better

I've mounted mine all over, and yes 1cm makes a difference. I'm about 5' 10" and 165 lbs on 186s, I ski mostly front side, but screw around switch.

I've mounted at: +4, +1, +0, -1, and I think -2.

I think +0 to -2 is the money range. I'm on the line now by simple luck (I got new boots and needed to move the heal forward). I'm very satisfied on the line, but I think for most front siders -1 would be the best mount. At -1 they worked extremely well for me in all situations. For me, the floated well in powder with minimal backseat lean, I don't think that the -1 mount affected the turning characteristics, but it did make it feel a bit more stable at speed... It didn't become a comp ski but it did make them feel safer to pressure the tip. At +0 I notice I need to ski a centered two foot stance that takes a bit of getting used to. I'd suggest if you're any heavier than me mount -1 or you'll feel like there is no tip because even for me it feels like the tip is a bit of a phantom. With that said it still works very well for me, and when I kill these I think I will get another set.

I don't know if I like the +0 or -1 more. Get used to either and you'll be a happy little camper.

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

the base and edge of the mothership is indestructable. lines got their shit together. has for a while.

have skied mine both on the line and -1.2cm. Been happy with both but did notice them being slightly slower edge to edge w/ the -1.2cm mount but the better balance in powder has more than made up for it imho and that is where they will remain. me 6'1'' 225lbs.

-1 is the money shot, and yes, 1cm makes a difference.

The 100 is a good, all-around ski no matter what, but I cannot imagine having thes any farther forward then the -1 mark...it defeats the purpose especially if you go in front of the 0 mark.
    Last edited by PowTron; 01-10-2009 at 09:47 PM.

I took my ski's in for a coreshot fix today and decided to move them back to -1 from the line. I'll let you know what I think next time I'm out on them. Hopefully soon. It's crazy in Vancouver these days, we have more snow then in Whistler. I can't remember the last time this has ever happened.

Well I've had a chance to ride these some more after moving the binding 1 cm back from the line. I'm not sure if it's the new mounting point or spending more time on them, but I'm really starting to love my ski's. I do think I lost a small amount of quickness (very small) in tight spots, but gained a lot more. They were floating much better, absolutely slaying the groomers, still quick, great in bumps, and just felt better all around. They felt more natural.
    I can really now see why so many people were recommending these skis. I really love them and would highly recommend mounting them just back from the line.
    If you are looking for a do everything ski, this should be on your radar. Great quiver of one.

Jesse....how are you liking them now? I have same ski with Dukes mounted on the line. I skied about a meter of fresh at Castle yesterday and had to work to keep the tips up in gentler terrain. In the steeps and tight trees they were fine. I find the 186 skis really short. I am 6'3" 215 lbs. I am thinking of sliding them back as you have done.