Inspiration needed: Mountain wedding location

My fiancée and I have decided to dispense with a traditional wedding, in favor of a very small and simple ceremony. All we need is a celebrant, a photographer and location with a backdrop suitably fitting for the fact we both love being in the mountains. While we have a few ideas for locations, I'd love to hear some suggestions from the collective.

I'm from BC, and any number of locations there would be perfect, but the wedding has to be in the US and not as familiar with the options. We are temporarily stuck on the EC and will be traveling in any case, so location is not a big factor.

Jackson is a strong contender, but I'd love to hear specifics and/or more options (e.g. I wonder if we could do something small and simple at Mt Baker with Mount Shuksan in the background? That could be super nice)

I've been to a couple of weddings up at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. While the skiing leaves something to be desired, the lodge is pretty kickass for a wedding IMO. Plus, Mt. Hood isn't ugly. One of the weddings shuttled everyone up to the Silcox Hut where the ceremony and reception were held. People stayed down at the lodge but I think the bride and groom stayed up there. Anyhow, in case you haven't been there:

Lodge:

Google the rest...
    Last edited by Adolf Allerbush; 12-22-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Not being very helpful, but here are some pictures of ours at Steamboat. I Do.

If you do it on the hill, sending a keg to ski patrol really seems to smoth thing out.

We were married on top of Mammoth this year, Feb 29th ... see some pictures here ... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1045982845

The scenic turnout looking up Teton Canyon and the Grand on the west side of the Tetons. Totally free, one of the funnest weddings I have ever been to was there (Yay Fitzy and J-Nine!)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

advres Guest
    Do you want it to be this winter? On the hill with snow or just some cool scenics?

My cousin got married in the White Mountains in New Hampshire during the summer god know how many years ago. It was a sick ceremony. All the fam camped out the night before and the night of. The ceremony was in a wooded area with a clearing where we all stood in a circle around them (they were pretty hippie).

After the ceremony the kids went and played in the river a couple hundred yards away (this was what I did) while the grownups partied right there. I was maybe 11 at the time and thought it was the coolest thing. I am 30 and ALL of my friends have pretty much tied the knot and this was absolutely the best wedding I have ever been to.

So, I know it isn't Wyoming pretty but it was a great place for a beautiful wedding here on the east coast. Take from it what you will.

EDIT - And I have seen pictures from the "wedding tree" near Jackson. They were pretty nice.

If you want a winter wedding than I may be no help. If it's summer you seek you could try one of these http://www.huts.org I may know someone who works there.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

This will be a spring, summer or fall dealio -- lots of flexibility with respect to timing since it's very small and there's no specific pressure to have it done on a certain date. It will be very location dependent really.

Scenics are key, but we both mountain bike so we'll definitely be looking do some riding, as well as some scambling/hiking while in the area.

I'm getting married in CO in September, and we looked at a number of locations. Since you're planning something small, I'd recommend looking at the Maroon Bells Amphitheater outside Aspen: http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ma...ex=CampingSpot

The Maroon Bells are probably most photographed mountains in the lower 48 for their scenery. You can rent it for the day for groups up to 65 people, and since it's US Forest Service, it's only a $200 fee to do your wedding with the Bells as the backdrop. Our wedding's going to be bigger than that, so it was out of the question for us, but it looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by DerJaeger View Post
    This will be a spring, summer or fall dealio -- lots of flexibility with respect to timing since it's very small and there's no specific pressure to have it done on a certain date. It will be very location dependent really.

Scenics are key, but we both mountain bike so we'll definitely be looking do some riding, as well as some scambling/hiking while in the area.
    There is a nice little 2000 foot CX/DH that goes right to the Teton Canyon overlook...If you guys do make it here, I'd be happy to show y'all a trail or two. This would be the view the guests would be looking at in the background...

The site can accomodate ~200, and is totally free.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

No brainer - Our Lady of the Snows chapel at Alta.

Does the wedding need to be in the continental U.S.?

Alyeska is suitably scenic and has a good hotel at the base. A gondola ride (loading steps away from the hotel) takes you to a surprisingly good restaurant.

This is the (summertime) view from the bar:

We got married in the middle of Lake Tahoe last March, rented a boat. It had enough room for our few guests, and the views where top notch. Compared to all the other places we looked at this was the cheapest option, and worked out awesome.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

If you're on the EC, mt. major could be an easy one for people to hike to the peak (great views too), then you could have the reception anywhere in the lakes region (pretty).

Or have it on top of Mt. Washington and watch as the grandparents get blown away.

Quite a few really interesting suggestions here. Definitely digging into these a big more.

Anyone know if Glacier National Park would have any easily accessible areas that could work? Another thought was maybe Telluride.

If it's summer think about lake placid. They have a large range of accom. from the very expensive to the affordable and the weather there in late summer is just purely the tits.
    Ask around- lots of people know the area well and could hook you up with local deals-who to talk to and whatnot.

Mountain House

I'm getting married to a sweet and beautiful woman in Sept. We are gonna have the whole wedding event here:

http://www.mountainhouseadirondacks.com/

killer view of the Great Range of the ADKs as backdrop.
    Just breathe

I hereby claim Prima Nocta.

Seconded for Lake Tahoe.
    Lots of gorgeous views around the lake. Lots of wedding chapels in town there who will take care of everything.

Call the Fantasy Inn.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    No brainer - Our Lady of the Snows chapel at Alta.
    Seconded.