Duke/Baron Actual Weights

Had a delivery in today & thought I'd do a quick weight check using a set of digital postal scales that I know are accurate to a few grams either way.

I weighed 5 pairs of large & small Dukes and 5 pairs of large & small Barons, all fitted with 110mm brakes - so that's 10 individual bindings of each size.

The average weight per binding was:
    Large Duke - 1376g
    Small Duke - 1354g
    Large Baron - 1324g
    Small Baron - 1312g

Very little difference!

WTF? I just got some small barons, and now I feel like I just got kicked in the nuts.

What'd you expect, it's just the difference in weight between two pairs of springs. Maybe you should feel great because you paid $100 less for basically the exact same binding.

My understanding is that the baron has some plastic parts where the duke has metal, potentially compromising durability for some weight savings, not just $ savings. Had I known the weight difference was so meager, I would have gone with the dukes.

I could not find any difference between the Dukes and Barons except the spring. There was no plastic in the Barons, not in the Dukes, so for the $100+ savings and saving a few extra grams, I am happy going with the Barons. My debate was whether to go large or small, so with such a minimal difference I am glad I went large so others can use them if necessary.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Look carefully, the barons have more plastic for sure. If you feel the toe pieces they are different. They look the same but the Baron toe pieces (or wings) that contact the boot are plastic and painted to look metal. The wings on the Dukes are metal.

also, the main housing for the heel pivot is metal on dukes, plastic on barons.
    can't believe that's all the weight they saved! maybe it was more motivated by making it cost less.

not really sure what spyderjon was doing while making these comparisons but he is completely off on the baron weight. i just went to the post office and had them weigh each of my 2 new barons size large. each came out exactly at 1264.068 grams with the rubber band still holding the brakes up, so subtract a couple grams for that. this is exactly what the advertised weight is from marker.
    Last edited by duffski; 12-22-2008 at 04:25 PM.