Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Wrestler

The Wrestler

It's supposed to be Mickey Rourke's comeback movie. Me being young and all I don't know too much about the backstory with him, but right now it's tearing up Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wrestler/ 52 to 0 fresh reviews, which is almost unheard-of. Now thinking of seeing it once it gets out in theaters on Friday.
    If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.

Pretty surprised to hear this. Figured he was left for dead years ago. Might have to check this out.

And if you want more Mickey Rourke, watch Barfly and The Pope of Greenwich Village.

he was also in Sin City, which was a pretty cool, very stylized movie. well worth checking out.

Haven't seen it yet, but based on the trailer it looks like a pretty amazing performance.

Don't be fooled. It is getting great reviews because Marissa Tomei plays a stripper in it, and she has nipple rings. I'll pay $10 to see that in the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Don't be fooled. It is getting great reviews because Marissa Tomei plays a stripper in it, and she has nipple rings. I'll pay $10 to see that in the theater.
    Someone who plays a stripper that actually takes their clothes off, this is what she should get an Academy Award for.
    Move along nothing to see here.

Demi Moore did that in Striptease.

Rourke's segment in Sin City was creepy as shit... the "bad guy" fucked with me for a while.

If you're into nekkid MT, then check out Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.

As for Rourke, the story goes that at the height of his career (i.e. after he broke out in Rumble Fish and Pope of Greenwich Village and Bar Fly) he fled to Europe and engaged in boxing, which f@#ked up his face and hands and all but destroyed his matinee idol good looks. That and a lot of other self-destructive behavior more or less led to his demise (there's a decent, quick-read interview with Rourke in a recent Entertainment Weekly that provides a Cliff's Notes run-down of what happened to him).

I always stuck him up there with Eric Roberts. They were both good looking dudes who had serious acting chops and for whatever reason they sort of took the self-destructive route. Both have been on the long road to come-back forever, as well (you can stuff Jan Michael Vincent into that list, except he was never able to recover from his tailspin).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    If you're into nekkid MT, then check out Before The Devil Knows You're Dead.
    That opening scene was GREAT! A little scary to see P.S.H. like that though.

It's not playing anywhere near philly...I've read the reviews and I want to see it just to see Rourke's performance which apparently is unreal. Also Tomei's performance (aside from the nude-ness) is supposed to be stellar...way to go Ritz theatres. Way to have 14 movies that suck and not have the good indy right now.
    BOOOOOOO

I'm definitely going to see this. Rourke is awesome. White Sands with Defoe was great, and don't forget Angel Heart either. Also, while horribly cheesy, I have a soft spot in my heart for Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

HD&TMM was dopeness. I saw that in the theaters when it was first released, i think even opening day.

Just watched Body Heat, which has a young MR in a small cameo. Plus it had Kathleen Turner when she was smokin' (and William Hurt when he had hair).

Year of the Dragon.

I'll be seeing this movie both for Rourke and Marissa Tomei's nipple rings.

You're all fucking high, and probably gay, if you choose HD & TMM over 9.5 Weeks.

The best film of his from a Cinema Snob POV was Rumble Fish.
    Last edited by Tippster; 12-19-2008 at 08:33 PM.

"Motorcyle Boy was here."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    And if you want more Mickey Rourke, watch The Pope of Greenwich Village.
    I hope this is a joke. Eric Roberts produced what could possibly be the absolute worst acting performance in the history of acting. I kid you not. So if you don't mind sitting through shitty acting, go see Pope.

The Wrestler is dope.

I saw it the day before Christmas Eve.

Rourke kills it.

MT is HOT.

The acting and characters are rich and help elevate the somewhat cliche storyline above standard fare. Really, it's Rourke who steals the picture.

And while I am not WWE fanatic or super fan, they seemed to nail a lot of the insider nuances of the sport/entertainment (wrestlers talkinga bout their bits before the matches, hiding the razor blades for the cuts, etc). They also quietly touched upon what happens to old wrestlers when their day is up (which is something that is seldom spoken about).

Loved Rourke in Sin City. Great movie. No love from the academy, which is a shame.
    Will be getting Wrestler asap.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    And while I am not WWE fanatic or super fan, they seemed to nail a lot of the insider nuances of the sport/entertainment (wrestlers talkinga bout their bits before the matches, hiding the razor blades for the cuts, etc).
    They also quietly touched upon what happens to old wrestlers when their day is up (which is something that is seldom spoken about).
    These speak volumes...

1) http://www.tmz.com/2008/09/15/jake-the-snake-implodes/

2) And after that same show, maybe?
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

ANyone read the review in Esquire? Few times have I read an article that both totally pwnd a dude and sucked his cock at the same time.

Wait - you mean she has nipple rings for real, not just in the movie??

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Wait - you mean she has nipple rings for real, not just in the movie??
    My boner thinks they look pretty real (vid NSFW)....
    http://rapidshare.com/files/17775655...e_Wrestler.avi
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

rourke had a great little roll in a pretty bad movie awhile ago where he was a meth cook. i think the movie was called spun or tweek or something. kinda a nothing movie, but i remember thinking. "fuck man, rourke can still act with his eyes, even though his face looks like cottage cheese."

anyways, he then did a great job in sin city. as soon as i heard of this film i was happy for him. it seems like his optimal role.

i think Darren Aronofsky is a good film maker. requiem was haunting.

going to this soon.

^^ spun.

i need to go watch rumble fish.

Rourke took the golden globe. Can't wait to see this.