Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I've only ridden Fooses, Agate and Starvation, but it's hard to have a bad time on MC with nice weather.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I've only ridden Fooses, Agate and Starvation, but it's hard to have a bad time on MC with nice weather.
    First time I rode it was 6 years ago...on this bike. While it wasn't a bad time....that trail on a 26er hardtail with v-brakes was a trial of physical and mental endurance.

Name:  1382258_10101383636368764_4724734779256183968_n.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  138.5 KB

It's now my bar/coffee bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239473815_10102504119072130_5665876130634450491_n.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	340.6 KB 
ID:	383248

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Rainbow is only worth doing once to just say you did it, otherwise fuck that trail.

IMO of the descents I've done, Fooses is the best, followed by Starvation, then Silver. Lots of people say Greens is up there with Fooses. Word on the street is that Fooses is getting rebuilt next year, so ride it now before they fuck it up.
    Agree on Silver/Rainbow. Also forgot how much shitty jeep road riding there is to get across to Silver.

I've never descended Fooses but did go up it when I rode the Colorado Trail last month. I ran into the Colorado Trail crew boss at bottom of Fooses who was hiking in to a work site where they were re-routing a section. He confirmed they will be re-routing some of the steepest parts of Fooses including the very top part, with sustainable grades and switchbacks. If you're an Endurbro maybe that ruins it for you but remember Fooses is part of the Colorado trail and sees a ton of bikepacker and thru hiker traffic in both directions. As someone who's hauled his bike up that upper part I can confirm it fucking blows and I'll be glad to see it "ruined" if that's what the 'bros are going to call it. Did you hate the smooth bottom couple miles of Fooses? That is what the upper steep part will become more similar to, but with more turns. FWIW most of the riders I saw dropping into Fooses were hiking their bikes down the steep entrance.

The CT org isn't IMBA. The trail crew on that section is led my MTBers. I'm confident they will build fun trail, they have done a great job on other sections that have been re-routed.

Ride Greens and Agate if you think Fooses is ruined. Both of those are endurbro approved.

Yeah, I wanted to do rainbow because I'd never done it (have done Agate and Starvation) but not in a hurry to do it again. Those damn drainage crossings and HABs have me feeling it today.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Agree on Silver/Rainbow. Also forgot how much shitty jeep road riding there is to get across to Silver.

I've never descended Fooses but did go up it when I rode the Colorado Trail last month. I ran into the Colorado Trail crew boss at bottom of Fooses who was hiking in to a work site where they were re-routing a section. He confirmed they will be re-routing some of the steepest parts of Fooses including the very top part, with sustainable grades and switchbacks. If you're an Endurbro maybe that ruins it for you but remember Fooses is part of the Colorado trail and sees a ton of bikepacker and thru hiker traffic in both directions. As someone who's hauled his bike up that upper part I can confirm it fucking blows and I'll be glad to see it "ruined" if that's what the 'bros are going to call it. Did you hate the smooth bottom couple miles of Fooses? That is what the upper steep part will become more similar to, but with more turns. FWIW most of the riders I saw dropping into Fooses were hiking their bikes down the steep entrance.

The CT org isn't IMBA. The trail crew on that section is led my MTBers. I'm confident they will build fun trail, they have done a great job on other sections that have been re-routed.

Ride Greens and Agate if you think Fooses is ruined. Both of those are endurbro approved.
    Like.

The top 1/4mi of Fooses probably should be re-routed, I can't argue with that. I can't think of anything else on that trail that I thought was unsustainable though.

A few beaters walking down doesn't change the fact that the current trail is steep, technical, 100% rideable, and fun. It's safe to say that whatever they build will not be as steep, and most likely won't be as technical, even if it is fun. So if you like steep and technical descents then you should go ride it now before it gets rebuilt.

I've done Silver, Starvation, and Fooses. snowaddict is correct, no water for along the crest, plenty of water after the initial drop-ins on all of the descents I've done. I'm sure Greens and Agate are the same.

Rainbow is only worth doing once to just say you did it, otherwise fuck that trail.

IMO of the descents I've done, Fooses is the best, followed by Starvation, then Silver. Lots of people say Greens is up there with Fooses. Word on the street is that Fooses is getting rebuilt next year, so ride it now before they fuck it up.
    I think rainbow is a lot of fun. The descents are fun and the uphills aren't bad at all. If you are expecting all downhill after you leave the crest, you will be disappointed, but if you understand what it is you will have fun. If you are really tired, skip it but if not it is completely worth the bit of added effort.

Jordan

The top 1/4mi of Fooses probably should be re-routed, I can't argue with that. I can't think of anything else on that trail that I thought was unsustainable though.

A few beaters walking down doesn't change the fact that the current trail is steep, technical, 100% rideable, and fun. It's safe to say that whatever they build will not be as steep, and most likely won't be as technical, even if it is fun. So if you like steep and technical descents then you should go ride it now before it gets rebuilt.
    Yup. Definitely go ride it now if you like the trail as-is. I didn't have time to shuttle it so the loaded climb is my only impression of it. The re-route they were working on was sort of in the middle on a steeper pitch (both trail grade and sidehill) where the trail gets rockier in a meadow. Not sure exactly how much will be re-built, but the trail boss guy did mention it will take several years. It is just one volunteer group doing the work, not hired out as far as I could tell. If you're a local and ride the trail a lot I'd suggest reaching out and volunteering so you can help make sure it stays fun to ride.

You don’t have to be a “bro” to lament, or even feel some frustration over potentially significant and negative changes to a trail you’ve enjoyed for a long time, regardless of the reasoning for the changes.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Fooses is wack anyways. Greens FTW.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The top 2 miles of Fooses is being re-routed into 3 miles, so it'll obviously become way more mellow, and also more sustainable at the same time. For me, the top 1/4 mile really depends on the conditions... I've ridden it when it's tacky and packed in, and is absolutely amazing. But I've also ridden it when it's totally blown out, rutted and loose, and it kind of sucked.

And FWIW, my favorite descents in order are Greens, Agate, Fooses, Starvation and Silver Creek.

TR: Monarch Crest

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Greens FTW.

I should go ride Greens today.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

carried water but saw the spring and easy on silver creek. Next time will just filter. Don't understand the dislike for Rainbow. Why ride 9 miles of road when yo can ride 11 of single track. Had to push some but found most of the trail to be fun riding. Only encountered one dirt bike and he was stopped.
    off your knees Louie