Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Question Girl Summit dilemma

You guys have probably had to work with communicating with women about skiing. I have a "woman skiiing communicating" problem.

There is this girl Kelly. Sweet as she could possibly be. One of the nicest chicks I know. She wants to come to the Summit.

Now you guys all probably think I suck total balls, but I believe I could fend for myself reasonably well in Jackson, and so could my two friends who are coming with me.

However, I'm not sure of the girl's skiing ability. None of us have ever skied with her and have not been able to evaluate her. What I really don't want is to get to Jackson (with intentions of totally ripping the whole time and never slowing down) and having to wait around for her the whole time.

People here don't know what "there are no friends on a powder day" means. I guess the same thing kinda goes at a pretty hard mountain, or at least that's what I figure.

Anyway, here's where it all gets REALLY juicy: her mom works for United and she can fly for free. Also SHE CAN GET US CHEAP TICKETS. I am flying with skymiles and so is my friend Adam, but Patrick would be left out in the cold if he didn't have some help. United flights are like 600 bucks from here to Jackson, but with Kelly's help he could get a ticket for 150 or 200 bucks.

So the questions are: 1) do we let her go without knowing how well she skis? 2) what do we do if we get there and she can't keep up for shit? 3) is it worth the sacrifice so that my friend patrick can go (he probably can go anyway, but he would have to work a lot harder to afford the extra bucks on the ticket).

This seems like a relevant question... haven't heard much about this, so I'm pretty much clueless as of now. I have yet to get a room or a flight, so I'm open to any options (except for "Max, all of you should stay home, blah blah" I'm coming DAMNIT!)
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Shoot the Hostage.

1. how well do your friends ski?
    2. are you willing to give up a day or two to ski with her if she sucks?
    3. Is there anyone else you can find to ski with her during the day if she isn't very good?
    4. What if she's better than you?

Girls hate being left alone, but you gotta make time for them at some point. Why don't you ask her about her abilities? For all you know she could be a closet skiaholic who uses her free air tickets to go to CO and UT all the time.

If she gets plane tickets and has the look, I'm sure she won't spend much time getting all lonely.

Originally posted by splat
    If she gets plane tickets and has the look, I'm sure she won't spend much time getting all lonely.
    whats age of consent in wyoming?

Dude, bring her. 1) She is a friend. 2) She is getting you cheap plane tickets. 3) Given the absurd number of extremely lonely maggots desperate for female companionship, I'm sure one or five of them will jump on the grenade and ski with her if she is slowing you down. 4) If she is willing to come and hang-out with this crew of misfit jack-asses, her interest in skiing must be stronger than her desire to avoid the horrendous odors produced by goofy internet dorks. Isn't that what is all about?
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

ditch your friends and bring the girl
    fine

Well she's 8th in the state in golf, has surfed for like 6 years, runs like a 5.0 40 and has about the most athletic ability of any girl I've known. She says she skis "all the black-diamonds," but I"m really not sure about the verity of this claim. And I don't know WHICH black diamonds.

She's really athletic, yes. But she sucks total ass at slalom skiing. We tried to teach her and she didn't catch on really at all. Keep in mind that there are different types of athletic. I'm just getting at that it's hard to judge a girl's skiing ability by her ability in other sports because skiing is so much different from anything that goes on around here (cept waterskiing, which is my best gauge, I think).

Would you suggest me and my friends take turns skiing the days with her? Split up into 2 and 2? That's all well and good if the conditions are the same for all of us (meaning one doesn't get stuck skiing with her on a 2 ft freshies day while the other 2 are rippin the Hobacks with unremovable grins) but one of us probably will end up having to bite the bullet in early Feb.

My friend Adam is pretty close to my ability level, and Patrick is probably a little better than I am. I just have more gear and more experience . All in all, we would all be comfortable skiing the 3 of us together on pretty much anything at Jackson (cept the obvious no-no's for jongs, such as corbet's and alta chutes, etc.)

And if the girl is better than me... well... I think I might just have to get on one knee .

splat: "the look"? Could you clarify?

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Originally posted by Greydon Clark
    Dude, bring her. I suck too and need to get laid

I'll look after her.

Not everybody charges hard all the time.

Usually there's several packs of maggots diverging and converging during the day.

She wouldn't slow the pack down because nobody waits anyway.

Don't follow Alex "steep and icy is fun" P. Keaton on the "warmup" run.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

1.) Just ask her how she skis. I think you will be able to get a good impression of how good she is if you just ask her. Ask her what she sets here DIN to, and if she says, Huh?, then you are in trouble.

2.) If she can't keep up then just set aside a day that you can ski with her, and explaining nicely to her that you will need a day to rip it up.

3.) Only you can answer that question. How good a friend is he?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

shit, just stay home and just send her.
    fine

Oh, and she doesn't put out. Sorry to disappoint.

And if you guys start talking about date rape and shit, it's gonna make me pretty pissed off. I wouldn't have a problem with trash talking a normal girl, but this girl is really really cool, so it would be just totally wrong to do that. Get whuddamean?

I never considered the maggot factor. That could be an important thing to keep in mind...

why don't you ski with her before the summit and then make a decision. No need to ponder this now. Oh, and if what's his name doesn't get the cheap ticket, oh well. Like you said, there are no friends on a powder day. Jackson's a big mountain, won't be too hard to "mistakenly" end up on a different lift.

Like Chappelle's take on the "Real World " this is beginning to sound........

Ask her what she skis on... bindings and boots give you a better idea alot of the time than skis

And I still don't understand why Alta Chutes are placed on the same "level" as Corbets...

Edit:

And if you guys start talking about date rape and shit, it's gonna make me pretty pissed off. I wouldn't have a problem with trash talking a normal girl, but this girl is really really cool, so it would be just totally wrong to do that. Get whuddamean?
    Dude. Prepare to be "pretty pissed off". You posted it on this board. People will joke about it. There is no alternative.

Originally posted by Max Gosey
    Oh, and she doesn't put out. Sorry to disappoint.

sounds like a job for superpunani

My friend Adam is pretty close to my ability level, and Patrick is probably a little better than I am. I just have more gear and more experience .
    Luckily for you and your buds, Jackson does have the following terrain to suit all that you can ever handle:

I'm sure there's double-greens in there too.

yeah, ask her some basic questions about her gear (DIN, sole size, binders, etc), and that'd probably give you some idea of how serious she is. i'd take her with, though - if you get there an find out that her ability on the mountain isn't all that good, spend a couple days with her to nail the basics down and then just let her gain her own experience... ok, now read that last sentence again and think about skiing...
    Last edited by The Jackamo; 08-02-2004 at 12:55 PM.
    "...And my quarter is ruined. My business lost about 200K in revenue.

On a positive note, I did save some money on car insurance by staying with GEICO..."

First of all, my friends don't even have their own gear. Thus they know nothing about DIN or binding placement or anything, but that doesn't mean they can't ski.

I don't know that much about Jackson's hardest stuff. What I know is from the trail map and from the bits and pieces I have picked up here. Alta chutes are not on the same level as Corbet's, but they are probably still out of my leage (at least for the first 3 or 4 days )

Ski with her before the summit?!!! How do I do that? I'm the only advocate of "earn (fiscally) your turns" in this town. To all my friends, more than one ski trip a year is absurd.

But as long as I keep in mind that there are several horny maggots (edit: where you at, akpm ) waiting with baited breath to take the hand of a lost little athletic girl, I can sleep eaiser after I give her the go-ahead on coming.

That IS assuming that you guys might help me out and a couple of you would just meet her (us) and maybe ski with her a run or two...

If you kick her ass all over the mountain, maybe she'll kick your ass all over the bedroom. Don't believe that she won't put out, they're all sluts.
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

So what you're saying is that you have a line on some really cheap tickets to Jackson but couldn't figure out any other way to tell us, right?

PM sent.

And if you guys start talking about date rape and shit, it's gonna make me pretty pissed off.
    fine

Originally posted by The Jackamo
    yeah, ask her some basic questions about her gear (DIN, sole size, binders, etc), and that'd probably give you some idea of how serious she is.
    Not every good skier is a total gearhead, though. Just because someone doesn't know their DIN setting doesn't mean they can't ski for shit [EDIT: I see Max beat me to this point]

Take her along Max. You don't need the excuse that she can get you cheap airfare. She claims she's a competent skier, so take her at her word. Just make sure she realizes you're going to ski and ski hard, and if she doesn't keep up she might be on her own. As others have said, not everyone at the summit is going to be a total ripper, so she'll find her niche regardless of her ability--unless she's a complete novice.

I never considered the maggot factor.
    not too brite then max. all you are going to get are requests for nekkid pics and innuendos. duh.