Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PSA How to drive on the snow in the PNW

I'm driving up to Crystal at 6 A.m. this morning its snowing and the roads are covered in Ice . What do I see 3 cars in ditches throughout the drive so I thought I would put up this Public Service announcement

Yes we live in Washington and it doesn't snow that much in the lowlands but people become dumbfounded when as little as 1 inch of snow falls on the ground here are a few tips to help you deal with it.

1. USE YOUR BRAKES AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. if you do pump them instead of slamming on them
    If you slam on your brakes they will lock up and chances are you will go into a uncontrolled slide.
    2. GIVE THE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU SPACE. If your tailgating someone and they have to take a quick turn you my friend are fucked. (please refer to step 1)
    3. DO NOT MAKE SHARP TURNS. Have your turn as gradual as possible as you will have less of a chance of sliding out of control.
    4.DO NOT DRIVE 20 ON A 60 MPH ROAD. I know your trying to be safe but unless visibility is 5 feet your going a little bit overboard and there will be a chance the people behind will shoot you.
    5. DO NOT ABANDON YOUR CAR ON A BUSY ROAD BECAUSE OF A FEW INCHES
    why do people do this.

Hopefully this will save a maggot from driving into a ditch
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

My first issue is starting my car. Then I worry about not crashing. If both go well, I'll see you Monday.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought if you have anti-lock breaks you should absolutely not pump them. they do that on their own, so by pumping you are reducing your breaking. if i'm wrong on this please let me know cause i should know this.

It seems like even in ski towns everyone forgets how to drive for the first few snowfalls. I was thinking of posting something similar, but realized I'd be preaching to the choir. If only there were more gaper Texan maggots who might prosper from this wisdom...
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

A couple more to add.
    -Control your speed in the straights ie.) don't brake around corners/ don't gear down around corners.
    -Use your gears to keep your speed under control while going down hill.
    -Look where you want to go if you start to slide, if u look where you are heading (like the ditch) you will go there.

Quote Originally Posted by todug27 View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought if you have anti-lock breaks you should absolutely not pump them. they do that on their own, so by pumping you are reducing your breaking. if i'm wrong on this please let me know cause i should know this.
    you are correct sir... however, even with anti-lock breaks you should still use your breaks as little as possible, especially in the middle of turn.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

I was under the impression that you shouldn't down shift on hills as much in the winter. If you down shift, you are only using two of your wheels for braking (assuming a 2 wheel drive vehicle). Using the brakes uses all four wheels, and also has the upside of anti-lock if you do start sliding. Unless you're going down something where you're concerned about overheating your brakes, it doesn't seem like down shifting offers any benefits.

however, even with anti-lock breaks you should still use your breaks as little as possible, especially in the middle of turn.
    completely agree. the controlling your speed on the straights and not during the turns was the best advice yet, imo.

gaper texan maggot here.

going to be road tripping to co for 3 weeks after Christmas. Im taking my z71 4x4. Got chains, got weight for the bed, got a tow rope, got a winter emergency road kit, got a snow shovel. Any other safety equipment yall recommend I have with me?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I was under the impression that you shouldn't down shift on hills as much in the winter. If you down shift, you are only using two of your wheels for braking (assuming a 2 wheel drive vehicle). Using the brakes uses all four wheels, and also has the upside of anti-lock if you do start sliding. Unless you're going down something where you're concerned about overheating your brakes, it doesn't seem like down shifting offers any benefits.
    Downshifting is the probably the best possible thing to do to control your speed without lossing traction and sliding in a car for downhill. Downshifting cause your car to "brake" by using the engine and not the brakes. Braking causes a much larger stopping force that breaks traction much easier, and thus your car slides.

Last word of advice comes from living in Bellingham (lots of people that can't drive in the snow when we get it). The best tip is to just STAY OFF THE ROADS. If you aren't driving you won't get in an accident, as simple as that. Oh and it leaves the powders for others

I meant it more in the sense that if you have your car in a lower gear you can roll down the hill slower without having use the brakes. If you are in a higher gear(or D with an auto) you will roll faster and have to be on and off the brakes to control speed.

Just saying this because it sounds like people thought i meant to use gears instead of brakes to slow down when your speed becomes to high.

Also if you do use a lower gear downshift before you are on the steep grade or patch of ice as the shifting down can cause the car or truck to go into a spin. Also look way ahead and slow down a bit. But these people that drive 9mph on the interstate probably cause accidents as the difference in speeds is more pronounced. Also I have seen so many people in Seattle that don't gather any speed before climbing a steep road then stop and leave their car stopped right in the middle of the hill where I loose any inertia I had. I live on a steep hill so this is a particular annoyance.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Also, consider not driving 30-35 mph on 410 when it's bare and wet.

Thank yew.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Also, consider not driving 30-35 mph on 410 when it's bare and wet.

Thank yew.
    Exactly it was a shit show last night.
    Last edited by Kyle Miller; 12-14-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

and please god stop slamming on your breaks when you are in a slide...

Quote Originally Posted by Bring On The Snow View Post
    -Look where you want to go if you start to slide, if u look where you are heading (like the ditch) you will go there.
    If this was true, half of the people that ditch it in Calgary would end up in their Blackberry

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
    gaper texan maggot here.

going to be road tripping to co for 3 weeks after Christmas. Im taking my z71 4x4. Got chains, got weight for the bed, got a tow rope, got a winter emergency road kit, got a snow shovel. Any other safety equipment yall recommend I have with me?
    Time. Take it. Leave earlier, and don't rush.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    If this was true, half of the people that ditch it in Calgary would end up in their Blackberry
    That right there made me laugh my ass off

Ps I'm writing this post on a blackberry

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    LOL!

I just turned on the local news in Portland and every road is full of PNW drivers playing bumper-cars. I'm glad I got turns in yesterday.

I do believe that there are a lot of places that offer winter driving courses (including a skid track) - X mass gift for the gaper jong in your life?

The biggest thing I focus on when driving in winter is being smooth. Not just because I picked up a hot hitch hiker on my to the hill, but because any rapid motion: sudden breaking, over correcting, dropping the cd you were about to load, spilling coffee, can result in you and your 4X4 going to ditch ville.

Look ahead and chill the fuck out. It ain't a race but it sure as shit ain't a parkin' lot neither.

It always amazes me that this annual event we call winter catches so many people by surprise.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I always suggest to those who are tentative with driving in the snow to go to a parking lot that's empty and start spinnin brodies. That's the only way to figure out what your rig will do in the snow. While it's a lot of fun, it helps you learn how to control yourself in loss of traction situations. Also, doing the classic "brake check" to see how well you can stop given the conditions is a good idea every time you leave the house. Going down the driveway, I always do it.

About anti-lock brakes and pumping, everyone is correct, they don't fully lock up like old school, traditional brakes. However, the pulsing that anti-lock brake systems provide aren't spaced far enough apart to allow you to gain traction on snow. You need to be off the brakes for at least a second to let the tires grab again, ABS systems pulse on and off much faster than that. Give it a try when nobody is around and you'll see what I mean. You'll be on the brakes and sliding, you can hear/feel the ABS kicking in but you're still sliding. Then let off the brakes and you'll be able to steer again. Repeat and eventually you'll come to a stop.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyj View Post
    gaper texan maggot here.

depends on what is in your winter emergency road kit...it should have a propane heater of some kind. matches..lighter fluid...blankets...jackets..boots. thats just for winter...you should always have food and water along with a first aid kit.

Make sure you have a windshield scraper too. make sure your washer fluid is rated for colder than 20 degrees...a lot of times down south you cant get it for much colder than that.

and remember if you have 4 wheel drive that is great, but it isn't going to stop you from careening out of control off the freeway once you start to slide. It often gives people a boost in confidence that it shouldn't. Once you start sliding, it doesn't matter how many wheel drive you have, you are going to have a hard time regaining control especially if you are still on ice.

On a similar note, dont go around driving in 4 wheel on dry pavement...not too good for the truck.

slow down, but not too slow, and give people space.

Quote Originally Posted by Railslider View Post
    I always suggest to those who are tentative with driving in the snow to go to a parking lot that's empty and start spinnin brodies. That's the only way to figure out what your rig will do in the snow. While it's a lot of fun, it helps you learn how to control yourself in loss of traction situations. Also, doing the classic "brake check" to see how well you can stop given the conditions is a good idea every time you leave the house. Going down the driveway, I always do it.

About anti-lock brakes and pumping, everyone is correct, they don't fully lock up like old school, traditional brakes. However, the pulsing that anti-lock brake systems provide aren't spaced far enough apart to allow you to gain traction on snow. You need to be off the brakes for at least a second to let the tires grab again, ABS systems pulse on and off much faster than that. Give it a try when nobody is around and you'll see what I mean. You'll be on the brakes and sliding, you can hear/feel the ABS kicking in but you're still sliding. Then let off the brakes and you'll be able to steer again. Repeat and eventually you'll come to a stop.
    Concerning ABS, I find this completely true. I can more easily control a slide without anti-lock on, as the pumps can be spaced further apart than the pulses mentioned above. Thankfully, most of the time i'm sliding it's on purpose.
    boy man god shit

What about downshifting with an automatic

Does it make any sense to shift from D to 3 or L before going downhill?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    What about downshifting with an automatic

Does it make any sense to shift from D to 3 or L before going downhill?
    yes....the retardant force applied while going down a hill in L is much more even than breaking.

as long as you are going slow when you downshift. if you are moving quickly downshifting can cause a jerk on the car that starts a slide. if you can get into 2nd 3rd or L and still have plenty of speed to keep from being rear ended by all means do it.