Page 47 of 191 FirstFirst ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 4758
    Quote Originally Posted by lhs View Post
    hey all
    happy winter!
    conditions report so far: pretty deep instability at the ground (3.5 feet or so) up @ gash point on sautrday; failing first about a foot down at ~15, and then a few more to the full rip. hope it settles out before too long. be careful. that being said: FUN!
    also, a little less snow in the jocko (~3ft), but conditions were a bit more stable. still went at facets near the ground, and fairly cleanly, but it took quite a bit of pounding to get it to go (30+).
    anyone else have any reports?
    Great fucking post! Thanks for passing along your beta and hope you continue to do so.

I'll add the snow in my front yard has all melted, and I could rake again.

Meh! more and more reports of the lavelle gear box in pieces for the last month. Fuck it. I'm down if the open monday or later *weekday* love. I'm just pissed, not surprised that SB continually fails to even communicate with their customer base. Be cool, we'll be loyal rather than fuck em, we've got em by the balls. I'm still ashamed that my local hill was the only one who wouldn't work with me when I was in the industry. THE ONLY ONE. Fuck, they wouldn't even talk to me. It's all to familiar.

who is giving you this info?
    True to nature, that storm didn't really materialize. Did it rain up there?
    Fucking warm temps.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

as you know I was skeptical of the info I first read here. Then last night a friend who lives at at the Grant ck./snowbowl rd. junction told me it was word direct from Pat. I didn't offer the info to him, he did to me. I'm starting to see some credibility to the "rumor" which it still is.

I guess I'm not part of the "community" yet. not disparaging anyone, I only skied there 1 year. Pat is the mountain manager, yes?
    No longer stuck.

Yes, Pat is the Mtn. mgr. You are as much a part of the community as anyone else. There isn't a magic time stamp. You don't have to "put in your time". As long as you love the place, love to ski and contribute (hopefully positively) to the place you're as much "community" as anyone else in my eyes. All that territorial BS drives me insane. I've been here well over 15 years and I have no more right to anywhere than anyone else. Growing up in CO I quickly tired of the hate for newcomers and visitors. I mean fuck it, we've got a killer place (here or there) and of course I want it all to myself but, ya can't blame a guy for joining in. Shit, we've got the same taste and are here for the same thing. (hopefully). :cheers It's gonna be a goodie along with our broken chairs, poor management and all the other BS I still could not be more excited.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Bummer, still not enough snow, I was really expecting this last storm to put us over the top (or at least skiing on the top).

As far as hating new comers, I really haven't seen that at the Bowl, but there is plenty of talk about how Snowbowl's management "style" is an effective control of the numbers up there.

Last year there were unprecedented numbers up there, and I certainly grumbled and cursed at feeling overwhelmed by strangers, but I'm always gracious and outgoing enough on the lift or in the bar, we like having new people there if they love it like we do (though I hate not being able to find a place to sit at the bar).

Anyway, crap, I managed to get Saturday off from work, just so I wouldn't have to leave the hill early, and now they might not open. Boo hoo.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

ha. thanks. Definitely don't feel hated, just don't really know anyone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Bummer, still not enough snow, I was really expecting this last storm to put us over the top (or at least skiing on the top).

As far as hating new comers, I really haven't seen that at the Bowl, but there is plenty of talk about how Snowbowl's management "style" is an effective control of the numbers up there.

Last year there were unprecedented numbers up there, and I certainly grumbled and cursed at feeling overwhelmed by strangers, but I'm always gracious and outgoing enough on the lift or in the bar, we like having new people there if they love it like we do (though I hate not being able to find a place to sit at the bar).

Anyway, crap, I managed to get Saturday off from work, just so I wouldn't have to leave the hill early, and now they might not open. Boo hoo.
    Well said. I believe Missoulians on the whole a good people who treat each other well for the most part. And snowbowlers are a good lot too. It's pretty fuckin simple...be cool to each other and it comes back in spades pretty much. I mean I'm not all unicorns and rainbows all the time but, if I see that fucker I'm gonna ride in on down over the rainbow to my pot of gold and have a hell of a good time with the folks who are good to me. None of us want tracked out trees and no seat at the bar but, if the dude who just light up my line has a smile on his face and gives me a cheers when I pull up the stool next to him let it rock. Lord knows we are that guy more than the other way around.

I think I'm just all pent up after the lookout tease. I'm ready to ride! :cheers gentlemen

Yeah I'm feeling bottled up and cranky myself, didn't leave the house yesterday, and managed to put a big crease in my new Intuitions.

I suppose I just got ahead of myself thinking that Saturday was a lock (I should know better by now). La Nina, what a tease, she's playing hard to get.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

One of my ski buddies said he picked up his pass today at the downtown office, and he witnessed a TV news reporter attempting to interview Ronnie Morris; apparently all Ronnie had to tell her, was to check the website!

wow, the T-Bar will be open. Fuck.

When did they open last year? I can't remember. It seems like we're behind. Where did La Nina go?
    No longer stuck.

Last year they opened the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Last year was about the best start in Snowbowl's history, they usually don't open this early, and often only the T-Bar the first weekend, if they open this early at all.

The way this has played out (especially Ronnie's dodging the reporter's questions), I'm guessing that there is something to the LaVelle rumor, and that the gear box situation presented more problems than allowed for LaVelle to be opened. They've opened LaVelle before with less snow than they are currently reporting.

Back in 2007, Snowbowl didn't open until the 13th of December, and then it went on to be an epic snow year. Sometimes we have to wait.

The Bowl didn't have decent snow til almost January in '96 - '97. Lost Trail was really the only lift service skiin' prior in the region. Those who were in the region know what that year held!

Last year they opened the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Last year was about the best start in Snowbowl's history, they usually don't open this early, and often only the T-Bar the first weekend, if they open this early at all.

The way this has played out (especially Ronnie's dodging the reporter's questions), I'm guessing that there is something to the LaVelle rumor, and that the gear box situation presented more problems than allowed for LaVelle to be opened. They've opened LaVelle before with less snow than they are currently reporting.

Back in 2007, Snowbowl didn't open until the 13th of December, and then it went on to be an epic snow year. Sometimes we have to wait.
    No doubt. Lotta ski areas don't open till 1st week of Dec.
    No longer stuck.

I've been tracking the Stuart Peak Snotel and right now we slightly above average from '02-now. Early season snow doesn't seem to be much of an indicator for how the rest of the season turns out.

I guess I was wrong about the LaVelle, they didn't open it because the wind event (Friday?), scrubbed a lot of the snow off of the top of the mountain. The LaVelle was running today actually, but just for Patrol to mark hazards. Direct from Andy Morris, the heir apparent.

I live in Missoula, I ski 55-70 days a year, and I practically never to go Snowbowl. The distinct impression I get from even brief and casual interactions with management (and some employees) is that they would rather most people be elsewhere. I think a lot of people get that impression judging by the number of people who drive by Snowbowl every day on their way to smaller mountains 90 miles away.

Griz opening tomorrow. Variable coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Caray View Post
    Griz opening tomorrow. Variable coverage
    Wah wah. Oh well, at least we have confirmation Lavelle is running. Patience. Every year I try to convince myself that the bowl won't be ready until Jan. Hopefully, that way my expectations are exceeded. It just seems like the seasons have moved back 30-45 days in the last 2 or 3 years. Now if we could work out a late opener/later closer deal that'd be alright!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    I live in Missoula, I ski 55-70 days a year, and I practically never to go Snowbowl. The distinct impression I get from even brief and casual interactions with management (and some employees) is that they would rather most people be elsewhere. I think a lot of people get that impression judging by the number of people who drive by Snowbowl every day on their way to smaller mountains 90 miles away.
    I lived in Missoula 14 years, skied Snowbowl 50 times a year, and never had a problem with anybody up there. What's with all the angst? It's a great ski area, all things considered.

Well?

Quote Originally Posted by riokarma View Post
    Wah wah.
    No crying here! Had a great time today all things considered.

Ski report, amazingly, is being updated more than once at 6am now. Says Lavalle should open tomorrow, and weather says some snow. Well, I should stay home and make up my homework if I wanna pass stats
    Have a bloody and a faceshot for me.
    No longer stuck.

Thanks Snowbowl for delivering a powder and rock filled morning! They had all the lifts spinning but most of the bowl was closed. Far east was probably the best with some mandatory log jibs. It was a nice pause from the regular insanity that seems to be my semester and restored my hope in Ullr.

And no face shots... Unless you fell over