Page 116 of 190 FirstFirst ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 4750
    Quote Originally Posted by lotharofthehillpeople View Post
    likely-less-than-crowded campground down towards Hamilton for Labor Day weekend?
    For real?

No. Everywhere will absolutely fill up. Your best bet is trying to reserve something ASAP. Maybe at Lake Como?

Quote Originally Posted by clarkee View Post
    Awesome, we have a few hours for a walk and a meal.
    If you are still looking, I'd check AirBnb. There are lots of serviceable places for less than $75.

For $75 you can pitch a tent in our backyard. BYOB though

Can you camp at the Bass Creak rec area or is that day use only?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yes Bass creek has camping. It's basically right at the end of the pavement down in the canyon, like 2mi from the highway, but a little more shaded and cool than something out in the bitterroot valley. There are two campgrounds there, one is for big groups and I assume you need to book in advance. But that's north of stevensville, not sure where he's trying to be. Bass creek/larry creek does even have some trails you can ride on a bike, and then the road goes way up high to the st joe trailhead.

It might already be too late, but you could try reserving a forest service cabin or lookout. I've stayed at the east fork cabin outside of sula a few times as well as the woods cabin on como lake. East fork cabin itself is small but there's a huge area, multiple firepits, a covered pavilion, etc. The como lake place is big, has gas and running water. I think you can book 6 months in advance and chances are everything is full that weekend though.

Anyone wanna ski Lolo Saturday morning? I can pay in beer for showing me the ropes route wise.
    No longer stuck.

Anyone wanna ski Lolo Saturday morning? I can pay in beer for showing me the ropes route wise.
    Obvious route is obvious, just go up.

From Missoula, go south on 93 then west on 12. After 3 miles left on Mormon Creek Rd. Go 9 miles to trailhead. Go up trail to scenic overlook. Go around the lake either direction, then just keep going up. The route is super obvious.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Drive to the Beartooths. Kick.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Drive to the Beartooths. Kick.
    Drive to the Beartooths. Ski with mags

Thanks Jamal, stuckathuntah, s_jenks for the offer, and rootskier for the reality check. Good to know. Much appreciated! We might end up going dispersed and just hiking into something off the beaten path. I'll try to bring Heady Topper as currency.

Quote Originally Posted by lotharofthehillpeople View Post
    Thanks Jamal, stuckathuntah, s_jenks for the offer, and rootskier for the reality check. Good to know. Much appreciated! We might end up going dispersed and just hiking into something off the beaten path. I'll try to bring Heady Topper as currency.
    Hwy 12 is your best bet for shady dispersed camping. Painted rocks area might not be too bad either I think there is a good density of roads & trees in a NF there as well if you need to around Hamilton area. Bitterroot roads end where NF begins for the most unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Obvious route is obvious, just go up.

From Missoula, go south on 93 then west on 12. After 3 miles left on Mormon Creek Rd. Go 9 miles to trailhead. Go up trail to scenic overlook. Go around the lake either direction, then just keep going up. The route is super obvious.
    Lol, I've hiked up there before in July, I know WHERE it is.
    Don't really wanna go alone. Also, really really don't wanna tell my parents I did it alone, as they only had 2 children and are now short 1.
    What's a good time to get to the trailhead Sunday morning (looks like the day) for conditions and tagging along with other parties?
    Can an athletic but old dog handle it?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    Hwy 12 is your best bet for shady dispersed camping. Painted rocks area might not be too bad either I think there is a good density of roads & trees in a NF there as well if you need to around Hamilton area. Bitterroot roads end where NF begins for the most unfortunately.
    I've actually never been down to painted rocks/como area. I don't have a boat. My friends don't have a boat. It seems....out of the way. Or is it paved all the way there?

Lots of pull offs and forest roads with pull offs on 12. Don't even have to go far. Consider Elk Meadows Road. There's also shit in the Sapphires outside Stephensville, but I forgot which road it is, lol.
    No longer stuck.

Road to painted rocks is all paved, went there from Hamilton and back on a road bike a few years ago. I want to go up there and take the fire roads over to that hot spring in idaho sometime. Como has singletrack all the way around it that's pretty fun plus there is some new stuff they're working on down there.

As I was just in there and looking at some maps, I noticed there are a couple of campgrounds up the burnt fork, to the east of stevensville. Gold creek, cutoff gulch, and burnt fork campgrounds. Those might be a little more out of the way and possibly have spots? Also up that way you can get to the sapphire divide trail.

Hm, maybe today was the day to ski Lolo. Snuggling with the dog was important this morning. He doesn't get really snuggly much.
    So, it looks like it'll still be cloudy tomorrow. Does that mean I don't have to be at the trailhead at 6am?
    No longer stuck.

Hm, maybe today was the day to ski Lolo. Snuggling with the dog was important this morning. He doesn't get really snuggly much.
    So, it looks like it'll still be cloudy tomorrow. Does that mean I don't have to be at the trailhead at 6am?
    Nah tomorrow can be good too. If the pup can hike you should take him along. I'd still suggest an early start, mainly because you'll feel awesome once you're on the trail that early, but also because you'll be back home by early afternoon. At the very least you'll have a fun time seeing the burn area and exploring Lolo peak proper.

I think I'm just gonna go for a bike ride if the only option is solo.
    I wish my friends weren't all so lame, lol.
    No longer stuck.

Heading to Lost Horse to boulder with the old lady this weekend. Any breweries that we need to hit on the way through Missoula? We're interested in IPA's so any suggestions are appreciated. Good lunch spots?

Also, are the hot springs near Lolo worth it for a quick soak on the way back through?

Go to imagine nation for the NEIPA's, since they brew some delicious stuff and they are right on the river near downtown.

I love GILD for a smaller-scale scene. They make some awesome small-batch beers and then you can walk across the river to downtown. Bonus points for eating a slice of bridge pizza.

Tamarack is dt and has decent beers and you really can't go wrong with the dinner menu.

Conflux is newer, and while I was meh about them at first they have added to their menu and offer some good stuff to go with their food.

If you are mobbing through town on a schedule, then hit up the highlander off reserve st, real nice place that slides under the tourist radar. Pizza and creekside beers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

New to town, stumbled upon Conflux last night. Good food and beer (had a tasty IPA)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Gild is a good one. And technically not a brewery. If it's nice, you can sit outside with the dog, have a taco, drink however much or little you want.
    No longer stuck.

Lolo peak brewing, food. Wildwood, Victor. Up the root, no IPA? but organic offerings . Wear white ,pick the ticks off. Draught works and Imagination in Missoula for IPA

Anyone know if the Reservation divide trail or W fork Fish cr-Straight Cr(great burn) have been cleared? Looks like Delta just dropped extra fee for bike bags, so might be bring the mtb next week.

An intriguing job opportunity for me at the university. This is all quite preliminary, trying to decide if I should even apply, but seems worth posting in this thread to start my investigation.

I know absolutely nothing about Missoula. Nothing about skiing and mt biking near there, the town vibe, what it's like to raise a kid there (ie quality of schools and general kid friendliness), etc.

I live in Boulder and it is WAY too fucking big for me, way to expensive too. Lived in Burlington VT for a couple of years and that was closer to my speed, but the weather sucked. Lived in Durango for 6 years before that and that was right on point for me, but I couldn't afford to live an adult life there. I'm not a super aggro skier or biker, but I do like to do both quite regularly, and I'd certainly hope that access and crowds improve compared to Boulder.

So throw some insight my way.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Anyone know if the Reservation divide trail or W fork Fish cr-Straight Cr(great burn) have been cleared? Looks like Delta just dropped extra fee for bike bags, so might be bring the mtb next week.
    Seems unlikely, but I don't know for sure. Reservation divide starts out in some dense lodgepole and the first like, 1/2 mile - mile has trees down on it even right after it's been cleared. But then you get higher up and out in the open later on. Some friends tried straight creek a few years ago and did not have a good time. Not clear and difficult to even follow the trail.

Sheep mountain, 1513, mineral peak, are all cleared as are mill creek and carlton ridge. And I do really want to get back out to the heart lake trail (near fish creek/straight creek) this summer but don't know what that trail is like right now.

Did you do any of 313 last year? Been on warm springs ridge or the trails off that that are part of the lost trail bike fest? Also black pine ridge outside philipsburg is clear.