Page 134 of 190 FirstFirst ... 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 4750
    Good to hear they got it fixed so quickly - that's impressive. Thoughts and prayers for all the human load testers in the next few weeks.

So...anybody get on Lavelle today and live to tell about it?

My roommate did. I'll probably go tomorrow morning, if not all day.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I did and happened to be on the chair right around where it was fixed ( the cable was missing 3-4 chairs in front of me) The splice job is a little rough around the edges... similar to the rest of the infrastructure at the bowl. Rode the snowpark lift the other day and got a kick out of the bent halos on towers 1 and 2 along with the pink ribbons on tower 3... Fucking classic!

Quote Originally Posted by MTslackcountry View Post
    I did and happened to be on the chair right around where it was fixed ( the cable was missing 3-4 chairs in front of me) The splice job is a little rough around the edges... similar to the rest of the infrastructure at the bowl. Rode the snowpark lift the other day and got a kick out of the bent halos on towers 1 and 2 along with the pink ribbons on tower 3... Fucking classic!
    This is why whenever anyone other than ski patrol who works for/owns Snowbowl says they are doing things that are for my safety I laugh in their face.
    Glad they got the lift back open before February though.
    No longer stuck.

Don't really know, but I would think their insurance rates would be lower if they had safety bars.

^^^They already get a HUGE discount on insurance for requiring snowboarders to have leashes. More than covers the increase for chairs falling off. Safety 3rd!

Also the ski shop makes thousands every year by selling $10 leashes to exasperated snowboarders.

Quote Originally Posted by mb9fdb View Post
    Don't really know, but I would think their insurance rates would be lower if they had safety bars.
    If the insurances savings ROI was anything remotely near-term, you'd see a lot fewer chairs without bars; many, if not most, of the chairs out there without them could be retrofitted. Better-capitalized places (e.g. Big Sky) could certainly pull off the cost, but their accountants must not see it as being particularly worthwhile to retrofit existing lifts, in contrast to outfitting new lifts with bars.

That you don't see that suggests that the safety improvement (at least in terms of insurance payout dollars) isn't all that big.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    ^^^They already get a HUGE discount on insurance for requiring snowboarders to have leashes. More than covers the increase for chairs falling off. Safety 3rd!
    A patroller friend was just telling me about a gnarly accident he encountered years ago. Runaway snowboard caught air and hit a guy traversing below. Full decapitation. Through the spine and everything. Patroller said as gory as it was, it was almost easier than some of the other incidents he's come across because the guy clearly died immediately. There wasn't anything patrol could have done to save him - it was just shitty luck. Of course, not sure a leash would've prevented that.

^brutal!

I have seen several run away snowboards at snowbowl(and other mountains). All have been someone took off the board(and leash) and tried to walk down the mountain, slipped and dropped the board. In the event of bindings ripping out of the board, the leash doesn't do anything...so I guess it is if binding latching fails on both feet(or 1 if on chair)? I don't really care, just another one of those only at snowbowl rules that I find funny.

That and yelling at tourist who attach the wicket incorrectly.

Yikes.

Anyway, anyone one notice it says 120% terrain open? Righteous.

Oh, my buddy got Burton's new Step On boots and bindings. A leash may actually serve a purpose for those. I'm told they work well, and he's a good rider so he'd definitely notice if anything about them sucked.
    No longer stuck.

Gonna come ski da bowl tomorrow if the roads aren't too horrendous....green Marmot coat, black helmet, ask for change.

About to head up for my 'lunch break' to take a couple laps. Brown jacket, Blue pants and black helmet.

Anyone ever find the extra 20%? Is it for low tide?
    No longer stuck.

^ That extra 20% is definitely out there if you're willing to go search for it.

Was getting heavy at the base area when I showed up (32F), but seemed to hold during my few laps. The 2" new was very dense, which helped to cream up the whole mountain. Made it easy to ski across older tracks, while anything untouched skied like PNW schmoo.

Finally dipped over into Tree Chute to have a look, and found it skiing very well:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB_1-23_01.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	312049

Name:	SB_1-23_04.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	312050

Name:	SB_1-23_03.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	312051

Overall it was fun conditions, but a freeze on the lower mountain might create garbage conditions for this weekend. Better hope we get some more accumulation before then.

Good shit.
    No longer stuck.

Yeah the cream cheese made for fine skiing today, far exceeded my expectations. Great day following longtime ski bud senior researcher around through the new Snowpark runs and then a few bowl laps. Turns seemed pretty effortless on the schmoo. SR still rips!

Bowls look way better than I thought they would.
    Did SR attack anyone with green skis? I heard that's his thing.
    No longer stuck.

WOOT WOOT! Nukin' in Missoula

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    A patroller friend was just telling me about a gnarly accident he encountered years ago. Runaway snowboard caught air and hit a guy traversing below. Full decapitation. Through the spine and everything. Patroller said as gory as it was, it was almost easier than some of the other incidents he's come across because the guy clearly died immediately. There wasn't anything patrol could have done to save him - it was just shitty luck. Of course, not sure a leash would've prevented that.
    I think maybe possibly ur friend selling a bogus tale. Google has nothing and a death like that would be all over...just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I think maybe possibly ur friend selling a bogus tale. Google has nothing and a death like that would be all over...just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    [Shrug] Maybe. He's not really the type to make that sort of thing up though. And this would have been quite a few years ago, probably before literally every event on the entire planet became google-able. I'd also imagine that, given the nature of the accident, news stories regarding the death would have been low on details, and probably wouldn't have lead with a "man decapitated while skiing" type headline.

Especially if the poor schmuck was on snowlerblades or, god forbid, Raxskis.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Sadly I've seen a couple snowlerbladers this season, and what's worse, it was on a weekday!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

stuck gets out when he can, so credit where it's due.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Sadly I've seen a couple snowlerbladers this season, and what's worse, it was on a weekday!
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    stuck gets out when he can, so credit where it's due.
    I never ride a pair of skis longer than my beaver tail.
    No longer stuck.