Page 71 of 191 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 4757
    Well that storm was a total lie.
    I didn't even bother leaving the house.
    Oh well.

And Snowbowl's webcam isn't working with Chrome, but they probably don't care.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

And who knows this skier that had to be rescued yesterday 1/2 MILE from the area off the backside?!?!

It wasn't me, I haven't moved much in a week.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    And who knows this skier that had to be rescued yesterday 1/2 MILE from the area off the backside?!?!
    People end up down on hwy 93 with some regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    People end up down on hwy 93 with some regularity.
    http://missoulian.com/news/local/sno...ment_form=true

This person actually went off the Grant Creek side. The trees out past North Dakota (skiers left) get some gaper traffic. Its got a weird fall line back there and its easy to get sucked down into the gully. If you don't go into the gully you end up on steep talus. Its a tough spot. Most people cut back onto the area before the the second traverse road on paradise. This guy must have missed it.

A similar thing can happen to people trying to ski Pet Rock if they miss the traverse. Then you usually end up at the lake. Maybe better than in the ditch. At least then people touring off of point 6 will see you.

Didn't somebody die in a similar spot in 2004 or so?
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

Quote Originally Posted by inthemtns View Post
    http://missoulian.com/news/local/sno...ment_form=true

This person actually went off the Grant Creek side. The trees out past North Dakota (skiers left) get some gaper traffic. Its got a weird fall line back there and its easy to get sucked down into the gully. If you don't go into the gully you end up on steep talus. Its a tough spot. Most people cut back onto the area before the the second traverse road on paradise. This guy must have missed it.

A similar thing can happen to people trying to ski Pet Rock if they miss the traverse. Then you usually end up at the lake. Maybe better than in the ditch. At least then people touring off of point 6 will see you.

ah. we used to tour back there pretty often. If you hit it right, you can get a decent north facing run with a pretty easy skin back up to paradise.

Someone gets lost in Grant Creek every single year. Me, I got lost way the fuck out by Murphy Peak, but I had a good excuse.

I was just thinking how logical it would be to just hike back up.

And i think the guy you are thinking of pretty much committed suicide. From what i remember it was determined that he skied down to the lake, built his own final resting spot, and went to sleep never to wake again.

Going to be in town tomorrow evening. Anyone available to ski snow bowl thursday and lost trail friday. Shoot me a pm if you want to link up and make some turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    I was just thinking how logical it would be to just hike back up.

And i think the guy you are thinking of pretty much committed suicide. From what i remember it was determined that he skied down to the lake, built his own final resting spot, and went to sleep never to wake again.
    The guy I am thinking of spent two nights in woods before he died. It was snowing really hard out and that slowed his rescue. I think they did find him in a snow shelter of some sort. They put a bunch of "Have you seen this guy" pictures in the bar. It was a bad scene.

As a guy that cut his backcountry teeth off the backside of snowbowl I can tell you that it is extremely frustrating to boot pack up that backside. Over by the lake isn't bad. At least there you can try and walk on the skin track (sorry, I only did it once). Further down grant creek you are better off just trying to side hill it down the drainage to the first house you see. That can be brutal in new snow.
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

Speaking of brutal, today was pretty special in an epic refrozen coral reef with 4" on top sort of way. Wow.

Skied Snowbowl on Saturday. What was the story with the LifeFlight heli landing at top of the Grizzly chair about 11am ?
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Woot.

Anyone else playing moving slalom with all the kids up there today?
    No longer stuck.

when is last day? tryin to plan a trip to missoula around it and Snowbowl's being typically coy

what's it lookin like? any potential they'll be open the 13th and 14th? TIA

can someone give me the lowdown on skiing conditions/access in the whitefish area right now. heading there next week and gonna bring my gear. i know big mtn is shutting down but not interested in resort skiing anyway

Question for the Missoula mags...

Anyone got a line on a one or bedroom house with a yard that would be available starting in mid May. She has 2 cats and a dog and is very responsible. She's also have a horse but would board it if need be. She's found a couple places that would allow her to keep the horse with her but so far nothing that's great.

My cousins got a job lined up as a vet in the area but is having a bit of a hard time finding a place.

Shoot me a PM if you know of anything or anywhere she should check outside of the usual places.

Thanks.

Another classic Snowbowl dick move...groom the snow off the outrun to keep post season skier away. Goddamn they can be cock suckers. Snowbowl just gave you firm "Fuck You" to Missoulians...FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey2012 View Post
    Another classic Snowbowl dick move...groom the snow off the outrun to keep post season skier away. Goddamn they can be cock suckers. Snowbowl just gave you firm "Fuck You" to Missoulians...FYI.
    How far up did they do this "grooming"?

Just up to the corner on the outrun. Simply to have it melt out sooner and discourage folks from a late season tour. Not a huge deal to have to dirt walk a bit, but why waste the diesel just to be dicks? They surely don't waste diesel for grommer during the season.

Also, the last thing you want to do is push a bunch of snow/ice in Bulter Creek, constricting the channel prior to high flow. Particularly when Butler Creek flows under all your infrastructure. Again, classic....

I should clarify what I mean when I say "grooming". All they did was use the blade on the groomer to push the top 2 feet of snow off the outrun. Not "grooming" by any stretch.

That is amazingly douchie.
    Some lady I was talking to on the lift said their son was bitching her out for drinking on the porch at LRI. What a fucked up bunch of people. I hope they all wind up poor and alone and sick.
    No longer stuck.

That is amazingly douchie.
    Some lady I was talking to on the lift said their son was bitching her out for drinking on the porch at LRI. What a fucked up bunch of people. I hope they all wind up poor and alone and sick.
    While I agree, I think the joke is on us. They are going to retire fat and rich.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    You guys are idiots, they are not trying to discourage post season skiing. Pat is not only friendly toward post season turns, he once gave a friend of mine a ride to the top on his snowmobile. They plowed the bottom part of the Outrun to gain road access to where they are putting in zip lines. They want to get them finished in time for summer ops.

As for people bringing their own beer and drinking it on the deck of the bar, name any other bar that would allow that. Honestly, it's amazing that they turn a blind eye to it as often as they have. The Last Run Inn, though there is a really relaxed atmosphere, is still a business on private property (though the mountain is on National Forrest), no one has right to bring their own beer to drink there (not that I haven't on many occasions).

The ignorance and prejudice here is ridiculous, what a bunch of barking bitches.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    You guys are idiots, they are not trying to discourage post season skiing. Pat has never had any problem with post season skiers. They plowed to gain road access to where they are putting in zip lines. They want to get them finished in time for summer ops.

As for people bringing their own beer and drinking it on the deck of the bar, name any other bar that would allow that. Honestly, it's amazing that they turn a blind eye to it as often as they have. The Last Run Inn, though there is a really relaxed atmosphere, is still a business on private property (though the mountain is on National Forrest), no one has right to bring their own beer to drink there (not that I haven't on many occasions).

The ignorance and prejudice here is ridiculous, what a bunch of barking bitches.
    Have you even been up there yet? What they did makes no sense to gain access to this supposed "zip-line". Whatever the case maybe, they didn't put much thought into it consider how much post season use that portion of the NATIONAL FOREST get used.

Your quit the company man "Rasputin"...