Page 44 of 191 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 4758
    I got this picture from a friend. guardrails?!? hah no way.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Yeah they put them up Thursday and Friday, to the tune of $1.3 million. I think there are more to install, and they are putting them in places where inertia would never send anyone over the edge (along the edges where the curves were filled in the widening project). Thanks Forest Service, now the skiers get to pay for a useless "improvement" to the road.

However this is the last hurdle the Forest Circus required as a prerequisite to new lifts being installed. Now the comments on the EIS from the public need responses.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

I thought refrozen plough berms were good enough.
    And I would rather have a lift that didn't break down than ski on TV mountain. woohoo.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

my mother would be pleased to know this if i still lived in missoula. she somehow thinks the I70 shitshow i get involved with now is better. crazy woman. i would take snowbowl road any day over the 10 miles i have to spend on 70.

my first time going up there i was amazed that they didnt have guard rails there, only seemed dangerous with those super low snow years. few more times going up and putting them is didnt seem entirely necessary. that sucks if it means upped pass prices, they already seem kinda steep but what are you gonna do?

That picture says it all about rail placement. I love how it goes along the inside part of the curve all the way until the turn that will put you into the trees. Snowbowl road became a highway after the widening in 05 (not sure of the year). I went off the side three times before that (making me a prime test subject) and never again after. Problem solved?
    Get those TV lines while they're still prime and untouched. That lifts coming.
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

From what I've gathered, guardrails weren't part of the list of requirements for new lifts, until some idiot road engineer volunteered the idea at a meeting with the FS.

I asked Brad Morris about the timetable for the expansion, and it's still in the couple years range, same as has been the story ever since I've been skiing there.

Personally I'm ambivalent, I love The Bowl the way it is (and TV the way it is), but I would love to turn laps on TV, and the Bowls would see much less traffic once the TV lift opened, so it's a win for me either way.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 10-12-2011 at 12:21 AM.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

uh huh.

I suppose it's possible that if you went long and overcompensated you'd go off there. Or you could learn how to downshift instead of brake. God, it's like the idiot parade going up and down there. "Hey I'm driving up and down a steep, windy, icy hill, so I'm gonna ride my brakes the whole way." idiot. I'm from fucking NYC and I know not to do that.
    No longer stuck.

Little Ski Hills That Could

http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing...ki-hills-could

Little love for the Bowl. Miss that place.

Nice catch stalefish. A screen grabs for posterity sake.

OPENING DAY TOMORROW

Of big game season that is, hate to say it but it's nearly as good as those first turns of the season. I'm not alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowbowl.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	101991  

Yes, hudge backcountry lines after 10 minute hikes in every direction! Thank god for guardrails.

Heh, since the guard rails are only two ffeet high, I'm sure we won't see much of them this winter.

Many a Bowlhead out on the town tonight, MSP really delivered with Attack of La Nina, and "L3" was a veritable who's who for a while there.

Has anybody been to Lolo peak yet? Hiking up there on Friday and thinking of bringing my skis.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Has anybody been to Lolo peak yet? Hiking up there on Friday and thinking of bringing my skis.
    Was thinking of doing the same this weekend. The snotels in the area seem to be sucking ass with their reported totals. Sure looks like decent coverage on the false peak though....

^^^ By "false peak", I'm assuming you mean Mormon Peak; from town, it is often mistakenly called Lolo Peak.

TGR's One for the Road tomorrow night at the Roxy, two shows, I'll be at the late show. Anybody going?

some people I know skied of Carlton Ridge. One recommended knee and elbow pads. lol.
    No longer stuck.

I will be at the TGR flick.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

And with the pass prices they have and the lack of other improvements, I would hope someone was better than above water. Jesus. At least we have guardrails in the wrong places. Thanks.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    WelcomeoooR,

i haven't been skiing in months and months anywhere, but have been driving up mission valley the past few weeks for work.

lovely stoke and i'm a gametime decision on the movie

Looks soooo nice Loblaw. Got my ticket for the late show tomorrow. It's gonna be a great start to a long weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    WelcomeoooR,

i haven't been skiing in months and months anywhere, but have been driving up mission valley the past few weeks for work.

lovely stoke and i'm a gametime decision on the movie

uh huh.

I suppose it's possible that if you went long and overcompensated you'd go off there. Or you could learn how to downshift instead of brake. God, it's like the idiot parade going up and down there. "Hey I'm driving up and down a steep, windy, icy hill, so I'm gonna ride my brakes the whole way." idiot. I'm from fucking NYC and I know not to do that.
    Since it's going to be a big snow year, the prize dunderheads will be out in force, spinning, skidding and sliding, and rocking the all season tires (no chains of course) right into the ditch.

I will yet again be astounded by it, and also at how those who drive ridiculously slow, refuse to pull over to let the line of cars behind them pass. I call these folks hall monitors, they are out there to enforce their limit on the road, and then they're offended when you just blow by them on the straightaway.

winky indeed. I rock partially bald all-season and when I shift down to 2 my Subie feels like it has chains or something. It's awesome. Well, to an extent. I did the mailboxes turn a little too fast and 360'd.
    No longer stuck.

Just landed a job in Missoula for the next 6-8 weeks (and another 6-8 possible after that) - I'm headed up next week to start working, then back home for a few days over Thanksgiving weekend. Is there any reason to bring skis now? Or should I just snag them when I come back after Thanksgiving?

there should be some turns to be had. most mountains in the area had chairs spinning thanksgiving weekend last year.

stop by the shop when you get to town.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely swing by the shop, I'm strongly considering some MFD plates for my 138's too so I'll have to fondle those while I'm there.

I'm sure I'll get more info once I'm there, but if I'm working 8-10 hour days M-F with a flex schedule is Snowbowl my best bet for morning turns? Or is there some fairly easy access BC I can lap before work? No need to share any secret spots here if you guys don't want to - I'm just wondering if I should be considering a season pass to Snowbowl or not.

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'll definitely swing by the shop, I'm strongly considering some MFD plates for my 138's too so I'll have to fondle those while I'm there.

I'm sure I'll get more info once I'm there, but if I'm working 8-10 hour days M-F with a flex schedule is Snowbowl my best bet for morning turns? Or is there some fairly easy access BC I can lap before work? No need to share any secret spots here if you guys don't want to - I'm just wondering if I should be considering a season pass to Snowbowl or not.
    Snowbowl is 13 miles from downtown, not much more than a half hour from anywhere in Missoula, but doesn't open until 9:30am. I think it's closer than any comparable back country lines.

The Bowl:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whitewestaprilfools.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	103233  
    Last edited by Rasputin; 11-11-2011 at 01:21 AM.