Page 17 of 190 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post

i love the mix of uber steeze and hunting gear, that only lookout offers up.
    true. one of the reasons i love LT and Disco as well.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Woot! It looks like Snowbowl will open LaVelle on Thursday, an informed source says around noon is likely.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Hey, cut them some slack. Brad is too busy trying to fix the bathrooms to worry about a morning opening.

Lolo Pass -- 29 inches, 8 new, just enough to cover the stumps and branches. You could turn, but it was not fun to be on the constant lookout for shit. Lots of collapsing and cracking -- surprised there was no avalanche warning here.

Web cam is on! I'll be sending everyone a fruit basket.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Web cam is on! I'll be sending everyone a fruit basket.
    If you are referring to Snowbowl's new web cam, I'm as baffled by this advancement as you. I was just looking at it, and confirmed that in spite of the rain in town, there is snow in the trees at the bottom of the mountain, and something is falling out of the sky.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Woot! It looks like Snowbowl will open LaVelle on Thursday, an informed source says around noon is likely.
    Yeah, like their facebook page AND website But with the bowl, the first day is always good for lots of standing around.

Looking forward to a report if anyone goes, Friday might be on my schedule if it's not too dangerous for some older knees that hate buried-knee-death-debris.

If you are referring to Snowbowl's new web cam, I'm as baffled by this advancement as you. I was just looking at it, and confirmed that in spite of the rain in town, there is snow in the trees at the bottom of the mountain, and something is falling out of the sky.
    30 degrees at the top of Stuart peak (as of 10AM), doesn't bode well. Bummer.

A few years ago they opened LaVelle without enough snow, and I was hitting bottom all over the place, but since then they seem to have been waiting until the coverage is really good. I expect it will be heavy and deeper than you want to get yourself dug in.

We were at lolo pass yesterday also, couple OK turns on the east side of the pass. lots of whoompfing on any wind affected stuff. last sunday at lost trail noticed a nasty nasty layer at northern aspects underneath the new snow. generally a big mess under the new snow..
    any tips on early season touring area that you can access without a sled at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryhg View Post
    Yeah, like their facebook page AND website
    O RLY?

From their website:

Snowbowl will be open daily starting Friday, December 19, 2009 through February 28th 2010 In true Snowbowl fashion, the date doesn't match the day.

Snowbowl has a Facecbook page? No way! You've got to be bullshitting.

The Sunday snowphone message mentioned Thursday as a possibility; on Sunday afternoon, I spoke with someone who is a party to the managers' meetings. Who said it was a strong likelyhood if the snow kept came as expected, I expect there's been enough already.

I couldn't find any mention of Thursday on their website, nor mention of a facebook page. Did you just make that up?

O RLY?

From their website:

Snowbowl will be open daily starting Friday, December 19, 2009 through February 28th 2010 In true Snowbowl fashion, the date doesn't match the day.

Snowbowl has a Facecbook page? No way! You've got to be bullshitting.

The Sunday snowphone message mentioned Thursday as a possibility; on Sunday afternoon, I spoke with someone who is a party to the managers' meetings. Who said it was a strong likelyhood if the snow kept came as expected, I expect there's been enough already.

I couldn't find any mention of Thursday on their website, nor mention of a facebook page. Did you just make that up?

Nope, here's what I see on the bottom of their ski report page:

--->Getting ready to open upper mountain--hope to open Thursday, December 17, later morning, then will be open daily, except Christmas Day. Check for updates later today.<----

Wouldn't it be perfect 'bowl form if they had multiple versions of websites! LMFAO! Yup, footface and all too, that's how I found out originally.

I've had way too many opening days, and opening weeks, in the last 10 years or so that are way too sketchy, and have brought significant injury to friends. I've been on the down-low for a few years, and hope to ski a lot again this year. It'd be nice if it is indeed skiable early. Hitting the bottom isn't fun, especially when your ski goes UNDER a hidden log!

Keeping fingers crossed, it's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by keksie View Post
    We were at lolo pass yesterday also, couple OK turns on the east side of the pass. lots of whoompfing on any wind affected stuff. last sunday at lost trail noticed a nasty nasty layer at northern aspects underneath the new snow. generally a big mess under the new snow..
    any tips on early season touring area that you can access without a sled at the moment?
    I imagine the WCMAA (later today, tomorrow?) advisory will be close to extreme right now. You saw a red flag, respect it! I went cross country skiing (Lubrect) with the dogs yesterday, safe, fun, and getting the legs in shape. Yeah, not rad, but it was nice to get out with them safely.

I predict it will rain to well above the bottom of Lavelle today, despite the new report posted at 3:45 that claims 30 at the base.

I'll probably skip opening day tomorrow...not worth it for how bad it will suck.

As far as the webcam...awesome placement, really.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I predict it will rain to well above the bottom of Lavelle today, despite the new report posted at 3:45 that claims 30 at the base.

I'll probably skip opening day tomorrow...not worth it for how bad it will suck.

As far as the webcam...awesome placement, really.
    UNBELIEVER! Your your imaginings are placing a stumbling block before you.

The LaVelle will ski well.

Heard it sucked. Bad. Hot and crowded...no snow.

Glad I stayed at home and didn't beat Rasputin to Lavelle.

totally sucked. i had to ride the chair with this tele hippie and some guy with a long beard. akward.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryhg
    I imagine the WCMAA (later today, tomorrow?) advisory will be close to extreme right now. You saw a red flag, respect it! I went cross country skiing (Lubrect) with the dogs yesterday, safe, fun, and getting the legs in shape. Yeah, not rad, but it was nice to get out with them safely.
    Thanks for the advice, but there's ways to ski even during high avalanche danger, and within the risk limits that I accept. You know, like low angle boring stuff? And yes the whoompfing was when we were skinning 'up' a nearly flat slope with enough anchors to make making turns impossible. It was just a heads up for others. With the warming up today and low temps during the night I think the snowpack will be stabilizing a bit I also doubt that things are going to be as extremo tomorrow anymore. Today would've been a good day to get in trouble though.

Went to Lookout Pass today, decent amount of new, heavy snow, and no-one seems to like skiing the trees over there. Snow turned really heavy on sun facing aspects by afternoon, will have a nice crust tomorrow. Was a lot of fun to be skiing decently deep soft snow with no stumps or rocks underneath to be afraid of..

Quote Originally Posted by keksie View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but there's ways to ski even during high avalanche danger, and within the risk limits that I accept. You know, like low angle boring stuff? And yes the whoompfing was when we were skinning 'up' a nearly flat slope with enough anchors to make making turns impossible. It was just a heads up for others. With the warming up today and low temps during the night I think the snowpack will be stabilizing a bit I also doubt that things are going to be as extremo tomorrow anymore. Today would've been a good day to get in trouble though.
    Gotcha, understood. I think they (WCMAC) do like to get reports such as yours posted here, if you are interested. First hand, fresh beta on conditions, is gold.

West Bowls obscured by clouds, there was still a bit of a glow on West ridge as I headed for the bar around three o'clock.

how is it up at the bowl? i havnt even been up there yet. maybe tomorrow. though more likely sunday as im supposed to work tomorrow.

I went to LT today. It was decent, found some good stashs and the snow was better than i thought it was going to be.

And what a disapointing Griz loss...

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    how is it up at the bowl? i havnt even been up there yet. maybe tomorrow. though more likely sunday as im supposed to work tomorrow.

I went to LT today. It was decent, found some good stashs and the snow was better than i thought it was going to be.

And what a disapointing Griz loss...
    Yeah, bummer about the Griz losing, however, Upper Griz opened today, as well as Il Cesso (aka Outhouse), and the other one off of the East side of Griz (Bear Paw is the traditional name for the area where this run was cut), and Spartan Headwall. Plenty of untracked heavy snow being turned into heavy chop.

Angel Face got poached heavily today. It will likely be opened tomorrow, according to the B(rad)IG M(orris)AN himself. I rode the chair with Dr. Snowbowl today, and conversed about plans for openings, as well as the master development plan.

Realistically, we need a couple more feet of snow before the bowls will be fully ripe.

Such a dissappointing loss.

I rode the chair with Dr. Snowbowl today, and conversed about plans for openings, as well as the master development plan.
    When do they plan to put in the new lift(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    When do they plan to put in the new lift(s)?
    Heh, you really think Brad knows? Certainly after the road widening is complete, and then there is the FS saying that guard rails need to be installed; apparently there are requirements to create anchors for the posts which complicates the process immensely. He explained that most forest roads in the west went in long enough ago that the guys with the practical experience in this area have retired.

When I mentioned Pat's belief that they will finish widening the road next summer, Brad suggested that he was less confident about that than Pat is.