Page 143 of 191 FirstFirst ... 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 4757
    I haven't been up lately but please, for the love of god, let the air out or puncture the tires on all Sprinters with WA plates.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    I expect, now that the powder has become peanut butter/refreeze, the Sprinter locusts will fly away.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I haven't been up lately but please, for the love of god, let the air out or puncture the tires on all Sprinters with WA plates.
    You want them stuck there?

But if you're going to do it, do it in style:
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...e-core-remover

(bonus points for leaving them just loose enough to leak but not be visibly problematic)

Thanks for the info on Marshall.
    Definitely peanut butter at the bowl yesterday!!! Maybe a corn cycle beginning, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Saw four people pile into a little hatchback with WA plates. Maybe they were a polycule so it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I expect, now that the powder has become peanut butter/refreeze, the Sprinter locusts will fly away.
    A bout of high pressure would actually be a nice change of pace for this week. Wouldn't mind little bit of corn before the weather pattern shifts again.

In the mean time, the hiking is good enough to get your outdoor fix:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sentinel_hike.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	324307

I have a lot of road bike miles already. Kind of want to try some dirt but the trails seem crowded enough as is.

I think it might finally be time I got on the mountain bike.
    Stan, as far as I can tell, you can just walk/skin around the red gate and the owner seems ok with it.
    I finally did it a little while ago. I started early so was all by myself for awhile but on the way down I past a few people coming up the way I did and a lot of cars next to mine in the lot.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

With the weather change fast approaching, thought that I'd take advantage of the corn harvest today. Work delayed my starting time, but managed a good lap down Far East -> Angel Face.

Name:	IMG_7470.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	121.2 KB 
ID:	324804

Looked for my lost ski near Tree Chute, but no sign yet of any ski tip poking out.

Name:	IMG_7473.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	324805

Thank god this virus decided to show up during the spring and not in the dead of winter.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post

Looked for my lost ski near Tree Chute, but no sign yet of any ski tip poking out.

Name:	IMG_7473.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	324805

Thank god this virus decided to show up during the spring and not in the dead of winter.
    West Bowl entrance looks pretty healthy for this time of year. How are the other accessible spots doing around Missoula? Recovered to normal or still short?

Nice!
    Rain followed by 10+ inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Does the transition from warm to cold help or hurt from a safety standpoint?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    West Bowl entrance looks pretty healthy for this time of year. How are the other accessible spots doing around Missoula? Recovered to normal or still short?
    Normal-ish, I'd say. SWE is at or above normal, but depth may be at or even a little below. Warm winter. Lots of base building snow, but no deep days.
    Still, if Snowbowl hypothetically closed this weekend with at or near a 100" base, that would be good for summer.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by wordbird View Post
    Haven't actually been anywhere else yet. Working from home only gives me a couple hours to get away at a time, and the weekends are spent with the GF since we're the only social life we got right now.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how long the coverage has stuck around up there. Only bare spots I saw were on Griz chute, but they were in the obvious spots. The corner on the outrun was ever-slightly showing a thin spot, but hopefully this weekend's storm will keep it going for a while.

Nice!
    Rain followed by 10+ inches of snow in the forecast for tomorrow. Does the transition from warm to cold help or hurt from a safety standpoint?
    That's a tough one, and it depends on how the temps go. If it's right-side up (warm -> cold), then you'll have an easier time with potential storm slabs. Throw in wind though, and you'll have problems, which this system will have.

As for the deeper snowpack: lower elevations and southern slopes will be more isothermic. Higher elevations and northward slopes will still have deeper layers still in play. This week's temps have helped a bit, but we have not had that serious warm spell yet.

Nice!
    10+ is not safe under any almost any circumstances during and day after the storm on 30 degree slopes. Even without the wind it would be register as red on the danger scale in April sun on the faces that we have @ snowbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Haven't actually been anywhere else yet. Working from home only gives me a couple hours to get away at a time, and the weekends are spent with the GF since we're the only social life we got right now.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how long the coverage has stuck around up there. Only bare spots I saw were on Griz chute, but they were in the obvious spots. The corner on the outrun was ever-slightly showing a thin spot, but hopefully this weekend's storm will keep it going for a while.
    That's good. I'm hoping to ski a couple more days at beartooth pass late this spring if given an opportunity by the lockdown managers.

I've done some lectures, just looking for hands on specifics. I was already pretty sure the answer was Danger Zone.
    No longer stuck.

"Surviving in Avalanche Terrain" by Bruce Tremper

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Someone was firing a gun up in the bowls today. Apparently skiing isn't fun enough without gunfire.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Hey well a friend of mine just posted some wolf tracks he saw in spring gulch. Need to be prepared for an encounter.
    Last edited by jamal; 04-15-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Oh for fuck's sake.
    Did anyone return fire?
    No longer stuck.

Far East tomorrow, or stick to lower angle?
    No longer stuck.

Far East tomorrow, or stick to lower angle?
    Stability is fine and the place is pretty skied up. Be prepared for crazy crust and chop depending on aspect and elevation. Nice day for it though.

Blegh, might just take a walk. Skinning is really hard for me
    No longer stuck.

West Ridge this morning: top third- mostly soft and fun, middle third- a bit stiff but still enjoyable, bottom third- set up pretty firm, skiable but grabby. Not sure what the sun will do to the bottom third, but it might soften up enough to make turning easier, at least for an hour or so. It looked like Lavelle could be fun for a while, but didn't try it.
    There is a real possibility that the Forest Service may tell SB to shut down public access. Last Sunday was a bit much for the FS's comfort level, apparently.