Page 36 of 190 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    And I'm stuck being responsible at work. 10-16 inches today at 7200 feet

Don't worry, tomorrow will be the epic day.

For standing in line.

A preview for tomorrow morning.

+10 points for anyone other than Root or Rasputin to name the dude in the sweet tie-died coat (asterisk denoted).

*****, and mrs. rootskier is in that picture, too. Oh wait, so am I....and we are both in front of you, like I would be tomorrow under normal and better circumstances.

see you boys in the morning lineup tomorrow.

did lavelle run at all? by noon it still wasn't spilling.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

What? Lavelle wasn't running today? Oh my word.... I'm stuck in meetings tomorrow and the bowl is going to be go off the hook.

Wife was up today, yup Lavelle spun up some crazy goodness

Holy hell it's dumping.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    A preview for tomorrow morning.

+10 points for anyone other than Root or Rasputin to name the dude in the sweet tie-died coat (asterisk denoted).
    I do believe that is stu of ace hardware fame. I'm not real stoked that I won't be there until 1030 tomorrow. Oh well, I'll be there. Do you think it's unprofessional to go to my first staff meeting at a new firm in my ski pants and fleece. Well, too bad. It's gonna happen. Have a great first lap. I'll be shortly behind.

got there at 12:30 today, and should be able to do the same tomorrow.

Line of the year was from the lifty at 4:30: No, it's 4:30, but ski patrol hasn't come down yet, so we're still loading.

Now which of you to tools had a head on with the ski bus on the way home?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by riokarma View Post
    I do believe that is stu of ace hardware fame.
    dammit - beat me to it

Now which of you to tools had a head on with the ski bus on the way home?
    classic! reminds me of the afternoon last season that we saw brad's rig off the side and garland was first on the scene on his way back up after running his afternoon errands at hooters.

wind up at point 6 is 43, gusting to 62 right now..

Special Update for February 7, 2011
    This entry was posted on Monday, February 7th, 2011 at 3:24 pm
    Hello! This is Steve Karkanen with a special update to the West Central Montana Avalanche Center’s backcountry avalanche advisory for Monday, February 7, 2011. This update was issued at 1530 on February 7, 2011.
    Current Avalanche Danger
    On wind-loaded slopes steeper than 30 degrees, the avalanche danger is HIGH. Natural avalanches are likely and human-triggered avalanches are very likely. Large avalanches are possible wherever wind slabs have formed especially at the higher elevations above 5000 feet..
    All other slopes above 5000 feet and steeper than 30 degrees have CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger. Natural avalanches are possible and human-triggered avalanches are likely.
    Areas of concern are steep slopes recently wind-loaded where sensitive wind-slabs have formed or where it is possible to trigger large sluffs. While these loose snow avalanches can usually be managed with careful skiing and riding technique it is possible to be knocked down and carried into trees or other terrain traps if you’re taken by surprise.
    On all slopes below 5000 feet, the avalanche danger is MODERATE. Natural avalanches are unlikely, human-triggered avalanche are possible. There are heightened avalanche conditions on some terrain features.
    Weather and Snowpack Analysis
    This special update to the avalanche danger is based on the heavy load of new snow and high winds received across the advisory area today.
    This heavy new snow is being deposited on a layer of weak layer of cold light snow and in some areas, faceted snow that formed during the cold temperatures last week.
    SNOTEL sites throughout the advisory area have picked up an inch or more of Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) the past few hours and it is expected to keep snowing through the evening. High W-NW winds are present at the higher elevations and easily moving snow around. The Point Six RAWS station recorded a wind gust of 62 MPH this morning before it shut down.
    We received a report of remotely triggered avalanche activity in the southern Swans on both south and north aspects. These slab avalanches propagated over a long distance about a foot deep. The southern Swans picked up about a foot of new snow this past weekend prior to the current storm.
    Weather Forecast and Avalanche Outlook
    A cold upper level trough will move over western Montana Monday delivering snow while an Arctic air mass spills over the continental divide bringing strong easterly winds and wind-blown snow.
    Snow begins to taper off Monday night but the combination of very cold air and wind will create dangerous wind chill values. Tuesday through Wednesday a northerly flow aloft will maintain the cool influx from Canada but the pressure gradient will relax allowing winds to diminish. Some moisture is expected to make it’s way over the top of this ridge with the potential for light accumulation of snow.
    Temperatures will begin to moderate but remain below the seasonal average.
    Expect avalanche conditions to remain HIGH for the next several hours until the snowpack has a chance to adjust to this new load.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    see you boys in the morning lineup tomorrow.

did lavelle run at all? by noon it still wasn't spilling.
    Wrong! La Velle opened before noon, I got on the lift around 11am, and did only one lap on Griz before La Velle was open. They didn't bomb today (or groom methinks) so they closed Meadows from China Bowl to the South end of the cliffs, and were doing control work without bombs.

The report today said 4 inches. The white board (ski patrol calls the new total in just before opening) said 7 inches. Then it snowed all day, probably picking up another 8 inches up top. So subtract around 11 inches from what Brad says tomorrow to get the snowfall that came after close.

I might make it for opening, but I don't get off work until midnight, so I might just sleep in.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Snowbowl pro patrol can only handle 7" if it is in their ass.

super fun day, and sunny. i'll try to put together an edit soon.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Snowbowl pro patrol can only handle 7" if it is in their ass.
    Heh heh heh......
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Yet another great day of bomber skiing, this is the best week of the season so far, and more to come.

gotta disagree with you 'bout it being the best week so far there 'sputin - only because the base never really settled till mid January and many days could be spent entirely on area skiing fresh, not that there's far to go for untracked

but definitely psyched for more to come

Sunday looks like it could go either way. Staying tuned to the weather.
    Who's up for continuing to ignore me? Ya know, none of you are cute enough or have big enough tits to keep getting away with it.

Rasputin, next time you load the chair right before me, and don't even say hi, I'll have some beard clippers ready.
    No longer stuck.

That was a joke.
    No longer stuck.

Yer supposed to ask for change JONG!

BTW, I have infections in both ears, and can't hear very well at the moment, so if you tried to talk to me from behind, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Great day today, though it got pretty warm; there will likely be some manner of crust on the lower mountain tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Yer supposed to ask for change JONG!

BTW, I have infections in both ears, and can't hear very well at the moment, so if you tried to talk to me from behind, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Great day today, though it got pretty warm; there will likely be some manner of crust on the lower mountain tomorrow.
    lmao. I did ask for change.
    Feel better.
    No longer stuck.

lmao. I did ask for change.
    Feel better.
    Oops! Heh, that's funny. Yeah, everything external has been heavily muffled sounding lately.

Edit: Ooh, post 900, this thread sure has lasted longer than I expected when I started it.

Well...how was it today? Might try and make it tomorrow.......