Page 32 of 114 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Live over in Great Falls and never been to snowbowl. Looks like I've missed out. Of course you guys probably don't want anymore people tracking it up anyway. Looks like som fun billygoating. Are ANY of those areas open?

Here is the general idea. You can traverse into this area from lookers right or take the lookers left chute right next to the boundary.

I am sure no one has ever skied any of the permanent closures.

Back when I patrolled at the Bowl in the 70s there were no closures in any of the cliff area. We bombed and controlled it and let people ski it if they wanted. I remember the first time I returned after being gone for 5 years, I did the Long Chute with an old buddy.

When I was there about 10 years ago there was an access point where the flat skating section ended and the run began on Paradise, which got you around the south end of the cliffs, but when I was there last week they had it obstructed by a snow fence and a permenant closure sign. I did not go hunting in that area, but it appeared the only access was from Far East.

My wife and I had two great days at the Bowl, despite the fact that one of the regulars said it was the "worst day of the year." Even with icy condtions we had a blast, and it did not seem to slow any of the locals down in the least. Unfortunately, we had to split right before the dumpage started, but we did arrive in SLC to 16" new on our trip home to Durango. Even on good roads it is a 7.5 hr. drive from SLC.

I am always amazed at the quality of the terrain at the Bowl, and it has to be a US record for the most acreage of steep terrain accessable from just 2 chair lifts. I will be back sooner this time!
    Gravity Junkie

The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer

If you have any other stories or pictures or anything to share from that era, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear more.

As far as the fenceline on Paradise, it's definitely moved downhill since I started skiing the Bowl around '98 but it really doesn't seem to prevent access to any terrain, except maybe a small little buttress that I can picture gapers tomahawking down. You can still traverse as high as the bottom of the cliff bands will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    If you have any other stories or pictures or anything to share from that era, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd love to hear more.
    agree...

Yeah I got a few stories, but telling them makes me feel like an old man. I was there sharing the red bud when that run got its name . . .

If you want good stories you should ask around the Bowl because there are several from those days still skiing there, in fact I took some runs, had some beers, and shared some stories with a few of them just last week. Now their kids are ripping it up and making the stories.

I'd rather come back to ski and make new stories. The Bowl really does have some of the best terrain you can find anywhere. As my long gone friend Dave Doer used to say, "The three best areas in the Country are the Bird, the Hole and Bowl." I tried to hit all three on my trip this year, but only got two. Fortunately, the Bowl was one of them. I had forgotten how much I love that place.
    Gravity Junkie

The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I was there sharing the red bud when that run got its name . . .
    That's both cool and awesome, thanks for popping in! I'm heading to the top again here now, and then either East or West

see y'all out there.

Mmmm....windbuff. I have been waiting for that.

I left at 2 today, legs just beat down from so much skiing. It was coming down pretty good when I left, still coming down at close? Webcam = busted.

P.S. Thanks for all the offers of gear donations! Looks like we got him styled out.

ditto RS, so much leg smash but still great off the top - and being socked in up there keeps things interesting

webcam = webphoto from before noon

Quote Originally Posted by word929 View Post
    Ski is found. I went back today with a metal detector, but ended up seeing it like 500 yards further down than we expected. It was damn near Jenny Lake. It was a bitch of hike out, but I was grinning the whole way because I had found the MIA ski. Thanks to all you missoula folk who offered help and spare skis.
    i am famous for finding friends skis downhill from the crash. i've found one of my own and 3 for other friends. you will never see tracks but its down below. never fails. glad you found your boards.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Another great day at The Bowl; hero snow, and, in spite of the many cars in the lot, I saw very few people on the slopes.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

'Sputin, was it still pukin' last time you were up top? Good to see you and Albert at the griz today, hopefully the next 30 hours don't fuck us up too bad with these temps :fingerscrossed

Bob-
    Great name. Duh, I didn't get it until I said it out-loud to my SO tonight. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    'Sputin, was it still pukin' last time you were up top? Good to see you and Albert at the griz today, hopefully the next 30 hours don't fuck us up too bad with these temps :fingerscrossed
    I'm with ya...Being a weekday warrior I hope we are back to the really nice cycle we've had so far. You going tomorrow? Yesterday was great but, had to skip today. May not make first chair in the AM but relatively early if ya wanna car pool.

Pissin in town, 31.5 degrees at 7000' at 6am, I think I am gonna sit this one out. Don't forget your garbage bags, boys.

no doubt. Should be good tomorrow. Baby sitting dad. Give a shout to the moron in plaid pants and a red jacket.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Wow, soggy bottom bowl! (speaking of which I better hang up the pants now).

Honestly though, the rain was become snowish by 3:30pm.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

anyone up for a 'root tour tomorrow or bowl laps sunday? haven't met any of you fools yet and would love to tip pints.
    Carwash king is having beans today...

i'll be up tomorrow. wearing all black, this year's obsethed with neon yellow clamps, orange boots, yellow gloves. give a shout if you see me, would love to meet some new folks and take some laps.
    Carwash king is having beans today...

Any suggestions on the best place to get a new pair of boards ground in town? i usually get my work done in whitefish when i head up to visit the parents, but realized this morning my new boards really need to be ground so that i can get the proper bevels. i know Gull can do it but wanted to see if there are any recommendations?

Gull or the Trailhead. Gull is probably 2/3 the price and they'll get it done twice as fast.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 01-11-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Who's going to the Kettle House Missoula Avalanche benefit? Hopefully my dad's flight isn't canceled going to NY tomorrow, and I can make the storm skiing by about 12:30.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Who's going to the Kettle House Missoula Avalanche benefit? Hopefully my dad's flight isn't canceled going to NY tomorrow, and I can make the storm skiing by about 12:30.
    Thanks for the reminder, will head to N-side K-hole after skiing :needabeeremoticon:

Edit for IDs - i'll be wearing a black US Highway 61 ballcap if you want to ask for change for a nickel
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-12-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Free refills,Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by MELSNOW View Post
    i'll be up tomorrow. wearing all black, this year's obsethed with neon yellow clamps, orange boots, yellow gloves. give a shout if you see me, would love to meet some new folks and take some laps.
    i change up my gear too often but i am always wearing green/brown full tilt boots, black/white checkered poles, and a black bern helmet. I'll prob be at the bowl tomorrow with a blue and yellow jacket.

i'll also be at the k-hole tonight.

Travis
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier