Page 54 of 191 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 4757
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    Hopefully this storm pays off. Also is it pretty easy to get a ride up to the bowl if you just show up at the parking lot at the Town Pump? My girl needs the car most of next week, and I'd like to get up there just about every day.
    It is very easy to get a ride from there, no matter how much gear you've got piled beside you. I'll pick you up if I see you. I've never driven past anyone standing on the roadside to Snowbowl, even on a powder day when I was hauling ass up for first chair (dude who got that ride, rode first chair with me too).
    Last edited by Rasputin; 01-13-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

hitch with a cardboard sign that says "Change for a nickel?" That would be hilarious. Maybe add a FKNA under that.

I mean, I'd stop for anyone with a sign like that.
    In other news, you can sense the impending storm. yes yesssssssss, my prescioussssssss
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 01-14-2012 at 12:07 PM.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Well, I'll confirm that Wednesday will be huge, as I have to report for jury duty at 8:30 am.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

*****vibes******

Stoke on, reminiscing on days past. Here's to a little snow next week. Baby steps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowbowlliftline.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	107816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ryancrop.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	107817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liftticket.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	107818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowbowl-2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	107819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowbowl2-1-11-8.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	107820

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    Stoke on, reminiscing on days past. Here's to a little snow next week. Baby steps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowbowlliftline.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	107816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ryancrop.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	107817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liftticket.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	107818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowbowl-2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	107819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowbowl2-1-11-8.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	107820
    nice shots.

Hi all

Fingers crossed for snow!
    would love to hear any stability reports from this weekend, so we all know what's down there after the new stuff comes in.
    had a fun windy day skiing sastrugi on gash point and sky pilot yesterday. wind was the main feature in the snowpack, with the new windslab coming off fairly easily 8-10 inches down. Deeper layer around 2 feet on a facet/crust surface was fairly bonded and took a lot of force to get moving, but sheared pretty cleanly when it went. facet layer near the ground was present but didn't really fail.

mainly, things felt pretty stable - scoured or sastrugi-ed up, no real collapsing, whoomping, or cracking.
    didn't seem to be any new surface hoar or facets, so hopefully the new stuff will heal up well!
    Range after range of mountains.
    Year after year after year.
    I am still in love.
    - Gary Snyder

they keep revising the snow forecast downward (typical, I guess). Lots of wind, too. Be careful out there.
    also, sometimes people put good reports here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170067662080/
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by lhs View Post
    Hi all

Fingers crossed for snow!
    would love to hear any stability reports from this weekend, so we all know what's down there after the new stuff comes in.
    had a fun windy day skiing sastrugi on gash point and sky pilot yesterday. wind was the main feature in the snowpack, with the new windslab coming off fairly easily 8-10 inches down. Deeper layer around 2 feet on a facet/crust surface was fairly bonded and took a lot of force to get moving, but sheared pretty cleanly when it went. facet layer near the ground was present but didn't really fail.

mainly, things felt pretty stable - scoured or sastrugi-ed up, no real collapsing, whoomping, or cracking.
    didn't seem to be any new surface hoar or facets, so hopefully the new stuff will heal up well!
    Had similar observations yesterday in the Moose Lake area. Windslabs to 12" on and near ridgetops though no results with ski cuts. I was most concerned about a rather meaty slab sitting on small grain facets above a thermal crust that you noted above. Failed moderate to hard in compression (CT17-21/Q2) though no propagation in ECT (ECTN). With further loading, this will need to be watched. Thin, rocky areas are faceted at depth too. With addtional snow covering this weak structure these areas will need to be avoided.

Overall, stability was good and surface conditions were great. We were comfortable skiing, non-windloaded steep open slopes.

Now let it snow...

they keep revising the snow forecast downward (typical, I guess). Lots of wind, too. Be careful out there.
    also, sometimes people put good reports here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/170067662080/
    It is typical for the NOAA forecast to be continually revised, that's what weather reporting is, observations of the changing weather. As is very common, the meat of the storm will hit later than initially expected, but Wednesday is now looking like the big storm day 14-22 inches! Don't be surprised if it becomes Thursday.

Today I blew off skiing to help my ex look for a house, but she hasn't called, and her phone is turned off. Oh well, I'll be back up there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    It is typical for the NOAA forecast to be continually revised, that's what weather reporting is, observations of the changing weather. As is very common, the meat of the storm will hit later than initially expected, but Wednesday is now looking like the big storm day 14-22 inches! Don't be surprised if it becomes Thursday.

Today I blew off skiing to help my ex look for a house, but she hasn't called, and her phone is turned off. Oh well, I'll be back up there tomorrow.
    yep. however i noticed today that theey have really increased the amount of snow we are to possibly receive here in the valley.

it also looks like it might get pretty interesting here if we do get a bit warmer at the end ofthe week and get the rain/freezing rain they're predicting on top of some substantial snow amounts.
    Last edited by Fear Of A Flat Planet; 01-17-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Dumping up there all day today. Pretty nice taste of whats to come. Looks like Lookout has gotten over 20" so far. Hopefully they send some this way.

well, I deflowered the Rubies.

Took the LD12s off my Pipe Cleaners. I'll put some something cheap on them for spring touring, maybe.
    Stuart Peak Snotel indicates a lot of snow. This time I think I'm actually going skiing. See ya, fuckers!
    No longer stuck.

absolutely nuking out right now.
    yee-fucking-ha

w00t w00t!

bowl was rad today. had first tracks down west ridge.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

move on people, nothing to see here...
    Carwash king is having beans today...

Nothing to see because it's snowing so heavy. w00t!

Props to The Bowl for grooming the Outrun, it would have turned immediately to bumps if they hadn't.

I was supposed to have jury duty this morning, but the case settled yesterday, so I managed to make it up for opening bell and tenth chair. There was a mad huge crowd today, but the lift lines didn't seem that bad. The parking was ridiculous, I seriously wonder if the plows were able to get out, since people parked on both sides of the road (which is illegal BTW). If they couldn't get out, then the road will be a ridiculous mess, since several inches have fallen on it since this morning's plowing.

w00t w00t
    No longer stuck.

It really has been nukin' in Missoula, so the tread title is relevant again!

It has officially reached pain in the ass levels for getting around in town. 30" at Lost Trail, but the drive would probably take 3+ hours.

Carpool to the Bowl, bitches.

You fellas want to send just a bit of that east? All of the Gallatin Valley has blue balls from this non-existent storm. mmkay? That would be great.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lumberg.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	108172  

yesterday at the bowl.

Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

It has been an awesome week at the bowl and is still dumping. This weekend I think I'll X-country to stuart peak and let the families have their shot. Hitchhiking has worked well. The undergrads that gave me a ride back this afternoon only finished 2 beers each and made me fear for my life a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    people parked on both sides of the road (which is illegal BTW). If they couldn't get out, then the road will be a ridiculous mess, since several inches have fallen on it since this morning's plowing.
    When i arrived it was single lane and just a shit show, but managed to park right up front. riding's been excellent, there was still plenty of fresh to be had off red bud - hopefully we'll be sticking in this mix for a while.