Page 150 of 191 FirstFirst ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,726 to 3,750 of 4758
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Well, yeah, that's why you need man-made snow. Lift lines and cat tracks and even certain groomers get beat the fuck up.
    But I'm talking about the cat tracks and groomers that are covered in man-made snow. Whitefish made snow for most of a month, focusing 90% of their snow making capacity on getting a single run down the frontside open. And I guarantee that their snow making equipment is better than Snowbowl's. But despite blowing all of that snow, lots of areas were down to dirt by the second day the lifts were open.

That's amazing
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Supposed to rain to 7000' today...that should pack 'er down.
    Good for the base...

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    It is about economics. But not in the way everyone is thinking.

Every weekend that snowbowl doesn't open costs them money. You think they make their money on lift tickets? lol. They are terrified they won't be able to sell enough beer & food due to the pandemic -- which is where they make their money. They want to be open more than you want them to be open.
    The profit margin on food and drink is small compared to that of lift tickets. Snowbowl's profits for the year are primarily driven by the few days of the year when they sell large quantities of tickets. Big days of ticket sales (particularly during winter break and holidays) represent vast cash influxes with no additional overhead.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

That makes sense. It's a lot easier to make $50 on a single lift ticket than $50 from a dirtbag passholder at the LRI.

Got any idea how many tickets the Bowl sells on an average Saturday? What about the average 10" day? I have no conception of how many people ski at the Bowl on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Got any idea how many tickets the Bowl sells on an average Saturday? What about the average 10" day? I have no conception of how many people ski at the Bowl on any given day.
    I think they average around 500 skier visits a day. So you figure that's probably around 2,000 people on a busy weekend, and then plenty of weekdays with only 200-300. I'd bet weekends are probably 15% day tickets, maybe a bit more. And I'd bet a sunny, warm-ish Saturday sells as many (if not more) day tickets than a 10" pow day. And a holiday with decent weather probably sells more day tickets than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think they average around 500 skier visits a day. So you figure that's probably around 2,000 people on a busy weekend, and then plenty of weekdays with only 200-300. I'd bet weekends are probably 15% day tickets, maybe a bit more. And I'd bet a sunny, warm-ish Saturday sells as many (if not more) day tickets than a 10" pow day. And a holiday with decent weather probably sells more day tickets than anything else.
    I could see those numbers on a decent year. There's usually a crowd of regulars that go up on the weekdays.

Even the most manic days get pretty spread out though, once the opening line gets up Griz. So it's hard to gauge crowd sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Even the most manic days get pretty spread out though, once the opening line gets up Griz. So it's hard to gauge crowd sizes.
    Yeah, a quick search shows Griz + Lavelle move about 2400 people / hour (they're around 1200 people / hour each). The bottleneck always seemed to be Griz chair on a pow day when less people are interested in lapping Lavelle. But on a normal day, that bottleneck isn't much of an issue. And I would assume the TV mtn. chair helps spread things out even more.

Yeah, a quick search shows Griz + Lavelle move about 2400 people / hour (they're around 1200 people / hour each). The bottleneck always seemed to be Griz chair on a pow day when less people are interested in lapping Lavelle. But on a normal day, that bottleneck isn't much of an issue. And I would assume the TV mtn. chair helps spread things out even more.
    Yeah The new lift has definitely changed the dynamic on storm days, especially if patrol has to delay the bowl openings due to bombing.

It's on their website. Open tomorrow "mostly up top" and then more later. Hm, I have an appointment at 2:30 on North Reserve so hope I can ski down by 1:50. My back needs the PT.
    No longer stuck.

Usually the bottleneck moves from Griz to LaVelle after a couple hours, then moves inside for lunch, after which it disappears, because many "powder day" skiers burn out because they don't ski except on big days, and don't have the legs for a full day. The Snow Park chair has really changed things though, once the line has shifted up to LaVelle, Snow park usually has little traffic on powder days. So far, a relatively small number of skiers ski TV to Griz, and around. It's seems like about 40 minutes per lap, and the "Long Cold Road" makes it less attractive than spinning Bowl laps, no matter how awesome TV can be.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin
    It's seems like about 40 minutes per lap, and the "Long Cold Road" makes it less attractive than spinning Bowl laps, no matter how awesome TV can be.
    I wonder why this could be.

See you dirtbags tomorrow, unless Mrs. Rootskier goes instead.

No timing info on the website, are we up for the 10ish or the fabled noon opening?

I’m wanting to go, but am going to have to go through the process of getting my pass. Gotta be in Helena by the early afternoon, so might even just hold off for another day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

There is 1000% certainty that Griz will not spin promptly at 9:30am.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Snowbowl gets my vote for worst webcam in Montana. Right now the "timelapse" will bring you up to 4 pm yesterday, great. Plus what does it even show? A bad view of the hill leading up to Griz? wtf

ETA have fun up there today. Looking forward to coming over when we have more snow.

Interested if they ran snowpark lift today or rumors of when they will?

Also, if someone could let me know how the rope tow area is looking? 5 year old is itching to get out.

No Snowpark, guessing they need about 2 more feet, at least.

It obviously rained to the top yesterday. Skiing was upside down spooky at first and improved with traffic. I downloaded...patrol said Paradise wasn't going to open until last chair, if it all.

Bowls are looking extremely not fat.

Pray for snow.

Not bad, but there was a zipper crust, and no solid base yet, except heavy traffic areas, which is expected. There weren't too many people, and using my mask really didn't present any considerable problems with fogging. They have signs asking for masks in the lift lines. I rode the lift single. I saw a kid hit a back flip off a road cut on my first La Velle ride of the year. Good times

Great fun, other than some of that rain crust. I managed to not have to download. Paradise was rough. It wasn't that it was dust on frozen crust, it was dust on mogully crust, somehow. Had to be outta there by 2, but all in all, a good day on the hill and skiing myself back into shape.
    Glad I didn't have to download. That sounds terrifying, so props to patrol for getting that open.
    IIRC, last year Snowpark was always closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and yeah, wouldn't be looking for that to be open for a while.
    Say hi (or high) to Trey on lift ops. He's my longtime housemate. He's pretty stoked to be up there this year.
    Did they do a lot of sapling work up there? Seems like they really cleaned up Griz and Grand Slam. So that's awesome.
    And I'll admit it: I was wrong. Snowmaking would not have gone up high enough to get them open earlier. Might be something they wanna invest in if they wanna stay open with climate change. But oh well.
    No longer stuck.

Skinned for some low angle turns today. Topped out around 6800. Skied better than I thought it would and some how the 95 underfoot floated on dry new snow for about 1000 vert.

Looking warmer and sunny tomorrow, which is not good. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow morning cuz it might melt down till more snow hopefully this weekend.

Wind filled in skin track above 6000'. Beautiful sunny day.

Skinned up snowbowl today. Skied down East to angel face. Stuff in shade skied really nice, crust on snow getting sun.

That sounds...rocky
    No longer stuck.

Anybody go to LT today?

No but the Bowl is skiing pretty well. Not a lot open but the top is worthwhile.

I was with one of the kids today and didn't venture over but it seemed like Far East to Angel Face was open.