Page 117 of 119 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 2973
  1. #2901
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    411
    New to town, stumbled upon Conflux last night. Good food and beer (had a tasty IPA)

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

  2. #2902
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    Gild is a good one. And technically not a brewery. If it's nice, you can sit outside with the dog, have a taco, drink however much or little you want.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  3. #2903
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Retardbumville
    Posts
    584
    Lolo peak brewing, food. Wildwood, Victor. Up the root, no IPA? but organic offerings . Wear white ,pick the ticks off. Draught works and Imagination in Missoula for IPA

  4. #2904
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    2,276
    Anyone know if the Reservation divide trail or W fork Fish cr-Straight Cr(great burn) have been cleared? Looks like Delta just dropped extra fee for bike bags, so might be bring the mtb next week.

  5. #2905
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,096
    An intriguing job opportunity for me at the university. This is all quite preliminary, trying to decide if I should even apply, but seems worth posting in this thread to start my investigation.

    I know absolutely nothing about Missoula. Nothing about skiing and mt biking near there, the town vibe, what it's like to raise a kid there (ie quality of schools and general kid friendliness), etc.

    I live in Boulder and it is WAY too fucking big for me, way to expensive too. Lived in Burlington VT for a couple of years and that was closer to my speed, but the weather sucked. Lived in Durango for 6 years before that and that was right on point for me, but I couldn't afford to live an adult life there. I'm not a super aggro skier or biker, but I do like to do both quite regularly, and I'd certainly hope that access and crowds improve compared to Boulder.

    So throw some insight my way.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  6. #2906
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    1,304
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Anyone know if the Reservation divide trail or W fork Fish cr-Straight Cr(great burn) have been cleared? Looks like Delta just dropped extra fee for bike bags, so might be bring the mtb next week.
    Seems unlikely, but I don't know for sure. Reservation divide starts out in some dense lodgepole and the first like, 1/2 mile - mile has trees down on it even right after it's been cleared. But then you get higher up and out in the open later on. Some friends tried straight creek a few years ago and did not have a good time. Not clear and difficult to even follow the trail.

    Sheep mountain, 1513, mineral peak, are all cleared as are mill creek and carlton ridge. And I do really want to get back out to the heart lake trail (near fish creek/straight creek) this summer but don't know what that trail is like right now.

    Did you do any of 313 last year? Been on warm springs ridge or the trails off that that are part of the lost trail bike fest? Also black pine ridge outside philipsburg is clear.

  7. #2907
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    An intriguing job opportunity for me at the university. This is all quite preliminary, trying to decide if I should even apply, but seems worth posting in this thread to start my investigation.

    I know absolutely nothing about Missoula. Nothing about skiing and mt biking near there, the town vibe, what it's like to raise a kid there (ie quality of schools and general kid friendliness), etc.

    I live in Boulder and it is WAY too fucking big for me, way to expensive too. Lived in Burlington VT for a couple of years and that was closer to my speed, but the weather sucked. Lived in Durango for 6 years before that and that was right on point for me, but I couldn't afford to live an adult life there. I'm not a super aggro skier or biker, but I do like to do both quite regularly, and I'd certainly hope that access and crowds improve compared to Boulder.

    So throw some insight my way.
    Montana Snow Bowl is the most underrated ski area in the West.
    It does occasionally suffer from it's low altitude and I'm sure it gets more crowded than it used to, but it's got some great terrain.
    Lost Trail is close enough for some variety as is Discovery by Philipsburg and Lookout Pass.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  8. #2908
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about Missoula. Nothing about skiing and mt biking near there, the town vibe, what it's like to raise a kid there (ie quality of schools and general kid friendliness), etc.
    missoula is a great town, college town so has that vibe. great selection of breweries, some with food and others with resident food trucks, decent entertainment (top hat/wilma/kettlehouse amphitheater draws good talent), good bars, good eats and relatively easy to get around for a small town that has grown a bit and has a kinda weird layout to begin with. traffic can and does get quite jammed up in areas during rush hour but you've never really that far to go anyway. great town for biking and walking (downtown and university anyways)

    it is pricey for housing, like mid to upper six figures (+) for the university district. north side is the cheapest but the most blighted part of town (its getting much better). rattlesnake is desirable suburby type living but again, pricey. coolest and easiest place to live is near downtown or university, after that it gets urban sprawley and commercial (tiny boxes on the hillside shit) to the south

    cheaper housing options start in florence (south), frenchtown (west), bonner/e. missoula (east)...

    can't say much for kid raising there, i'm sure its fine. i have heard schools are decent, at least haven't heard anything horrible

    buster's got the insight to skiing pretty much nailed down, i'll just add whitefish (2.5 hrs north) kinda outta daily trip range but worth it for a long weekend

    rattlesnake will be your default for mt biking/hiking, lots of single track up/down in there

  9. #2909
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,040

    WOOT WOOT! Nukin' in Missoula

    Danno, For comparison Bozeman is Montana's version of Boulder, although it is smaller. Missoula is less yuppie and has way more soul. It would be a great place to raise kids. Winter inversions can mean gray skies though, so you've got to get up skiing to get the sunshine. Awesome place in the summer. It is generally very liberal but not pretentious.

  10. #2910
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    I would say Missoula is more Montana's version of Boulder. And if you liked Burlington, you'll like Missoula.
    The skiing and mountain biking isn't world class, but SLC, Denver, etc are a 2hr flight. Big Sky or Whitefish are about 3 or 4 hr drives if you wanna go for a weekend.
    If you're up here, pm me. I'll buy ya a beer.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  11. #2911
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,096
    Thanks y'all.

    Hoping someone with kids can chime in, because that is super important. I get that the lifestyle is probably good for kids, but the actual quality of the schooling is very important too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  12. #2912
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Retardbumville
    Posts
    584
    It's better than Idaho Falls. There are a few private schools to piss away $ on. Well funded Public schools. Most bars are kid friendly. Tons of activities and venues geared toward youth. Things are tough @ UM. Are you a scientist?

  13. #2913
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,096
    Not a scientist. A lawyer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  14. #2914
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,096
    Won't have the $ to piss away on private schools, so if public schools aren't good, the move isn't happening.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  15. #2915
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bozeman
    Posts
    1,040
    I have never lived in Missoula with kids so I have no personal experience, but I hear their schools are second best in the state after Bozeman. I live in Bozeman and have kids in public school and our schools are excellent. Bozeman High is considered a top 5% school nationwide, public or private. If Missoula schools are even close that would make them quite good.

  16. #2916
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Retardbumville
    Posts
    584
    The UM Law school seems above the fray. Kids from- all -parts of the District seem to excel. On a State level the head of OPI is Devos like, her term is almost over.

  17. #2917
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    summit county
    Posts
    225
    would rather live in missoula than boulder

  18. #2918
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    21,096
    I've figured out enough to know that in a vacuum I would too. But I've been here for almost 20 years, have good friends all over the state, have family nearby, have a kid, etc, making the decision not one that can be made in a vacuum.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

  19. #2919
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    I don't think the public schools are bad. There's a lot of them, the school bonds always pass, etc.
    I get the impression parents are pretty involved, and the schools as a whole are good. Even though it's a red state, they're good about funding primary schools and keeping the religious shit out.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  20. #2920
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    Would any local bicyclers be interested in a brand new pair of PI X Alp canyon shoes? 10.5/45.
    they look like this:
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  21. #2921
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Not a scientist. A lawyer.
    School of Law, or Office of Legal Counsel? MIght have some insights - pm me
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
    Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

  22. #2922
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,809
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I've figured out enough to know that in a vacuum I would too. But I've been here for almost 20 years, have good friends all over the state, have family nearby, have a kid, etc, making the decision not one that can be made in a vacuum.
    Danno, I have two little kids and I've lived here for over 20 years now, though my kids haven't started at the public schools yet.

    That said, the public schools are great with the caveat that the elementary school districts are TINY so you have to pay very close attention when deciding where to live, because it makes a huge difference. For example, there are two elementary schools about 6 blocks apart that are generally considered two of the best in town, one has a spanish immersion program and the other does not.

    And while people claim the housing is expensive, even the most cursory review will show that it is like half the price of Boulder for comparable properties. From the places you'd want to live, you can definitely get to singletrack without getting in your car.

    PM me if you want to discuss more, I am happy to talk on the phone, too.

    FWIW, and I cannot wait until CountryFunk chimes in, but I still fully agree with Buster that Snowbowl is one of the--if not the most--underrated ski areas around. And it MIGHT even have a new lift this year, which will help spread everyone out. Biggest upside is that I leave my downtown office, change, and be on the lift in less than 30 minutes.

  23. #2923
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Hugh's Mom's House
    Posts
    11,809
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Gild is a good one.
    Agree. Gild makes great beer and you can get a pretty damn cheap meal if you get two trendy tacos at $3.50 each.

  24. #2924
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    19,978
    real goat.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  25. #2925
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Danno, I have two little kids and I've lived here for over 20 years now, though my kids haven't started at the public schools yet.

    That said, the public schools are great with the caveat that the elementary school districts are TINY so you have to pay very close attention when deciding where to live, because it makes a huge difference. For example, there are two elementary schools about 6 blocks apart that are generally considered two of the best in town, one has a spanish immersion program and the other does not.

    And while people claim the housing is expensive, even the most cursory review will show that it is like half the price of Boulder for comparable properties. From the places you'd want to live, you can definitely get to singletrack without getting in your car.

    PM me if you want to discuss more, I am happy to talk on the phone, too.

    FWIW, and I cannot wait until CountryFunk chimes in, but I still fully agree with Buster that Snowbowl is one of the--if not the most--underrated ski areas around. And it MIGHT even have a new lift this year, which will help spread everyone out. Biggest upside is that I leave my downtown office, change, and be on the lift in less than 30 minutes.
    Geez, ya harsh on a ski area once, after a couple of really crappy snow years in a row, like a decade ago, and some people can't let let it go ...
    Truth be told, I don't know Snowbowl all that well and I have a couple of credible ski buddies who talk it up constantly, perhaps suspiciously so. I'd like to get a tour this winter and be proven wrong, will buy beers and/or bloody marys, right or wrong.
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations
    Well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •