Page 145 of 190 FirstFirst ... 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,625 of 4750
    Cool you found it. Much rust?

Maybe the best 'feel good news' of 2020.

Cool, was that how you found it? I'm surprised no one else spotted it through the summer.

Okay, so after running some inspection on the tension springs and the bindings, it would seem that it survived through the melt and spring weather. It being upside down was likely a life-saver for the skis. Going to get them cleaned up a bit before I have them looked at by a local tech buddy of mine. At this point the things have seen 5 seasons of non-stop action, so I think it is time to demote them to early/late season rock skis.

Was definitely a heart-breaker losing the ski this winter, as they have been the best pair of daily-drivers I have ever owned. On the lookout now for replacement, since they don't make that exact ski anymore. It's kicking off a long-needed update in the quiver though, which is a nice thing to look forward to.

Not sure how other small areas in MT will handle covid conditions this winter, but one thing for sure is that snowbowl sure as shit won't change unless forced.

/blog

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Not sure how other small areas in MT will handle covid conditions this winter, but one thing for sure is that snowbowl sure as shit won't change unless forced.
    Heh...I think they made that pretty clear last spring. But the Missoula County health department has shown it's a force to be reckoned with, so we'll see if they butt heads.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Heh...I think they made that pretty clear last spring. But the Missoula County health department has shown it's a force to be reckoned with, so we'll see if they butt heads.
    A showdown between the Missoula County Health Dept. and Pat/Ron would be quite something to watch, assuming that the Griz chair doesn't break down first.

Snowbowl could have spent the summer making changes that would make it better for the winter, like building some covered areas outside and installing propane heaters or something. Of course, they did nothing.

There is no pass party this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Snowbowl could have spent the summer making changes that would make it better for the winter, like building some covered areas outside and installing propane heaters or something. Of course, they did nothing.

There is no pass party this year.
    I mean, why have a cash bar outside with a fire and some seating under a big tent at a ski area during a La Niña year during a pandemic? That would make too much sense. It's not like they don't already have a giant porch they can just put an awning over.

Anyway. If we really get the 2' forecasted, does anyone wanna go with and we can be the first 2 people to hurt themselves on Paradise?

Being kinda serious. Like, what's under the trail there, mostly grass with saplings off to the sides or a lot of rocks and deadfall?

Anyone have an older rock touring ski/frame binding/skin combo I could buy from them?
    Only thing I have that can tour is in good condition and also heavy.
    And don't worry, I wouldn't go unless it really is at least 2 feet.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Foot of snow in Missoula in October. Old man giving a warm welcome to the new transplants.

Part of NWS discussion for posterity:

CLIMATE...After spending much time looking at previous winter storm
    cases in the month of October, one date in particular stands out:
    October 27-28, 1925. The storm setup was kind of similar with
    anomalous Pacific moisture overrunning arctic air in place
    associated with 1040 millibar high pressure over southern Alberta.
    Snowfall amounts were the heaviest along the I-90 corridor with
    widespread amounts of 6 to 10 inches between Lookout Pass and
    Missoula, and also in the Mission and Bitterroot Valleys. Amounts
    of up to a foot of snow were reported for areas east of Missoula
    towards Bearmouth and Philipsburg. We discovered a gem of
    information when perusing an old Missoulian article from that
    event: old-timers recall early winters in Missoula which started
    in October. In the winter of 1874-75 there was snow and cold from
    October on till the first of the year when a severe blizzard
    struck the country. The winter of 1879-80 was severe and started
    off with snow in October and November. In the winter of 1881-82 a
    severe blizzard struck Missoula October 11. It lasted one day and
    there was little winter after that until January. Other notable
    impacts from 1925 include: plumbers were quite busy helping to
    thaw exposed pipes, coal suppliers became very busy, farmers
    suspended vegetable shipping, deep drifts were reported near the
    old Bonita station near Bearmouth, 2 foot drifts formed near
    Corvallis and stockmen had to feed their cattle, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    Anybody in the Missoula area looking for some new (to them) alpine boots? I need to thin the stable. 27/27.5 Salomon S/Max 130 Carbon, 98mm last. PM me for details if interested.

Attachment 344445

Attachment 344446
    Fucking awesome boots.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Well, four and a half inches so far, and snowing steady. Seems a bit too early to get excited though.

For those new to the area. Please, stay off of Mount Jumbo.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Wally says "what's all this frozen white shit?"Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201024_094025.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	344695
    No longer stuck.

Solid 12 inches in town.

Stuart Peak Snotel clocking in at 26 inches for depth.

Potentially record-cold temps coming through tonight.

Ohhh yeah.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9040.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	347306

Another kiss from winter in town, with a solid smattering for the mountains once again. If the forecast pans out, we could see an opening or two this weekend.

Broke down and got a Snowbowl pass. At this rate it looks like a move is going to be put off until spring.

Got my copy of snowbowl "good times" a few days ago, they mentioned replacing the Lavalle haul line over the summer...I guess the splice wasn't good enough? Also sounds like they mapped out the frontside TV mtn runs and plan to cut 2021 summer.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Got my copy of snowbowl "good times" a few days ago, they mentioned replacing the Lavalle haul line over the summer...I guess the splice wasn't good enough? Also sounds like they mapped out the frontside TV mtn runs and plan to cut 2021 summer.
    Sigh, sounds like this will be the last great year on TV. Cutting runs on TV is so unnecessary, it will only serve to open the snow to sun. As it is, folks that don't have the skills to ski expert terrain are scared to go there, cut runs and they'll think "I bet I can get down that."
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

I may be wrong, but I believe the plan is to glade out the designated runs rather than clear-cut them. There is still going to be a lot of undisturbed terrain between the runs, no matter what they do. All is not lost!
    About Lavelle haul rope- I believe that it was scheduled for replacement anyhow, regardless of what happened last year.

That is what I was hoping for, just removing some under brush and down trees and leave all the older growth. But the mailing I think mentioned timber sale, so that made me nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Sigh, sounds like this will be the last great year on TV. Cutting runs on TV is so unnecessary, it will only serve to open the snow to sun. As it is, folks that don't have the skills to ski expert terrain are scared to go there, cut runs and they'll think "I bet I can get down that."
    Fuck, there is so much deadfall in there I am scared to go most of the time. Also, isn't the "front" side of TV the closest thing the Bowl has to north-facing?

That front face of TV has a nice pitch, I wonder what the actual angle is. Be interesting to see what they do with it.

I'm torn on TV mtn, especially when their original master plan called for actual glading on the frontside. Last few pages show 2-3 runs planned out.

The idea of just doing brush clearing seems like the best (and easiest option for them), and there are couple of areas that could use some deadfall cleanup (like the areas right above Second thought). Feels like the toughest section is always the last 100ft before the road.

But that front side is no joke. Feels like an impenetrable forest early in the season, but with a decent base things really can open up in there. Lots of old-growth trees, and a number of cliff bands that patrol was already roping off. Pretty freaky that they just let you have open access to it now from the top of the chair, as a person can easily get themselves into trouble if they are not being careful.

And those radio towers can provide a spooky entryway into that zone:

Fuck, there is so much deadfall in there I am scared to go most of the time. Also, isn't the "front" side of TV the closest thing the Bowl has to north-facing?
    This
    Would love if they just cleaned up some deadfall since I don't wanna just drop in myself and get fucked. Hey, one of you should show me!

Oh, and what about that tree down on the high Meadows traverse? Anyone do anything about that? I didn't get a copy of shit, but maybe it depends when you bought your pass (a few weeks ago?).
    No longer stuck.

As I said, "...folks that don't have the skills to ski expert terrain are scared to go there... "

I'm not opposed to clearing dead fall, or brush whacking either, but I have skied it a lot, and have seen the trees they have marked for removal, and removing many of those trees won't improve the skiing there. Have you guys skied "Il Cesso" or "Pressure Drop"? They used to be some of the best tree skiing on the mountain, now they are bump runs that get roasted in morning sun. They are prime examples of Snowbowl "glading".

The fact is that the best snow on TV is there because of the high canopy of old growth trees, more so than because of the aspect. Some of TV is aspected well, while much of it benefits from huge trees forming an uninterrupted canopy.

Anyway, they will do what they will do, I was just expressing how I will miss how it is now, after they do what they do. They want to market it to "cut run" skiers, people are less impressed by seeing the natural mountain of trees from the lift, than by runs they can look at.

^^Good points. Too bad they can't just clear the deadfall and leave the canopy trees to protect the snow.

Have to say I don't consider skiing deadfall to be expert skiing, just shitty skiing. But I understand what you're saying about bringing people into an area you had mostly to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Have you guys skied "Il Cesso" or "Pressure Drop"? They used to be some of the best tree skiing on the mountain, now they are bump runs that get roasted in morning sun. They are prime examples of Snowbowl "glading".
    True story.