Page 58 of 190 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 4750

Missions Mission

Made an attempt at East St. Mary's Peak on Saturday. Came up a little short but the skiing was still good and the views were fantastic!
    Pre-dawn
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	110048
    Fuck this brush, and this stuff wasn't that bad here. But jesus that is an eternal forest/bushwack from hell.

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	110049
    Lunch Break

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	110052
    Gray Wolf!

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	110050
    3500 vert ain't a thing

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	110051

The sun came out for a bit and saw some point release slides coming off the the south facing aspects. The coverage actually didn't even look that great on East St. Mary's either surprisingly. Lots of rocks poking out. Either way we decided to stick to the west aspect on the way down. Pretty great skiing, but seriously, eff that approach and exit in the Missions.

I am an industrial design student at Kendall College of Art & Design working on the research portion of my thesis project. I am researching snow sports equipment management, and need snow sports enthusiasts to take my zoomerang survey.

http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22EQHJPWSSE

…or….

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/Embed/WEB22ERUC6QWX8/"></script><noscript><a href="http://www.zoomerang.com/">Online Surveys</a></noscript>

Please pass on the link to anyone you know who enjoys snow sports such as skiing, snowboarding, etc. who might be willing to participate.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Hey, did anyone happen to find a pack with avy gear in the Snowbowl parking lot a couple weeks back (or hear of anyone who did)? Someone I know left his pack in the lot, it's a *Black Diamond pack, and it had a red Ortovox beacon, a probe, a leatherman, and other stuff in it.

There's a flyer about it posted on the bulletin board just inside the door of the Last Run Inn (I just saw it yesterday and talked to the brother in question).

It sucks that it didn't get turned into the office, but in case someone just forgot to, and it's been in someone's rig waiting for them to get around to doing the right thing, I thought I'd give a shout out here. Heard anything?

*Edit to get the brand of pack right.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 02-22-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Dang, that was a pretty good four inches up there today.

It was okay. Meadows is fucked. Patrol was saying it's really really sketchy in there, and they can't get it to break with ski cuts, and of course there's more snow and wind coming.

Showing up this morning without the key to my skipod = fail.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I was gettin' all ready to blow off a mountain of work and ski today, then I looked at the webcam. It appears to be pissing rain at the bottom (similar to in town). I figured it was probably great at the top, so I checked Snotel. It's over 31 degrees at 7400.

Bring your garbage bag poncho and report back with how awesome the top half is.

fuck, not even snowing at LT

http://www.losttrail.com/weather-snow/webcam/

^^^The LT webcam has been frozen since Monday. LT is reporting 14" and full on nukage.

This is the real webcam:

http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/scanweb/losttrail.shtml
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Exactly. Gonna be good at LT tomorrow.

2+" SWE and over 20" at Saddle Mountain in last two days. 1" SWE and 10" of snow in just the last six hours. Holy fuck.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/sn...ays=7&state=mt
    Last edited by RootSkier; 02-22-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Can anyone share a car ride?

Sent from my DROID2
    No longer stuck.

Or need a ride?
    No longer stuck.

Sweet rain at the Bowl today!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

lol, got a friend to come to LT with me. yay.
    No longer stuck.

Some very wet and windy conditions up there today and yesterday. I tried to capture the incoming fury of the storm, but really didn't do it justice:'

Btw good commentary by Karkanan on the SB sidecountry - Avy advisory

It’s time for my mid-winter rant about backcountry (I should say sidecountry) behavior. I was inspired Saturday when I watch three people ski an avalanche chute just outside the Snowbowl boundary together……at the same time. This particular slope had a large skier-triggered avalanche on it this year. I doubt these three riders read the avalanche advisory, so I’m aiming my comments at Snow Bowl parents who may have kids, teenagers or older, ducking the ropes or skiing out-of-bounds. Once you leave the ski area; you’re on your own. The areas just outside the ropes are backcountry. There is no slope management or patrol. You should be prepared to deal with a burial or trauma. It would be a major operation to extract someone from the Rankin Lake basin just outside Snowbowl. Folks are treating this terrain as part of the ski area. It’s not. Do you think people who would ski three at a time down an avalanche chute know when the snow is stable and when it isn’t?

--------->
    whoa lt crushin the snow totals w 36"
    wootwoot nukin at lost trail powder mtn...

went solo to lt.
    it was fuckin sexy time.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Pretty great skiing, but seriously, eff that approach and exit in the Missions.
    Whoa, I think we may have been discussing this mission last week at the end of the bar (alpine corner) at the last run inn. Great report BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Sweet rain at the Bowl today!
    Wednesday was a crazy one - no LaVelle at all but happy to get deep fresh wind settled on west ridge all day - saw you driving up when we were downloading and thought everything may have been shut down, sounds like you got a few runs in.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post

Way to keep the vid handy!

Thursday at the Bowl did not suck. The Bowls had a two day accumulation of heavy wind buff, since LaVelle didn't open Weds. It was very easy to ski very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Thursday at the Bowl did not suck. The Bowls had a two day accumulation of heavy wind buff, since LaVelle didn't open Weds. It was very easy to ski very fast.
    no. no it did not. Neither did today. Yesterday seemed like a ghost town up there considering the snowfall and it was Thursday. I guess LT took some traffic for us and that was just fine by me. Today had at least 2x as many people as we were still able to find a bunch of great lines left mid-mtn. Tomorrow will be my first weekend at the bowl in a long, long time. Gotta support our buddy hucking himself. :cheers folks.

Missoula maggots, I'm going to be in town from march 1st-10th. Starting off with a few days at Whitefish, then skiing the bowl or where ever gets snow. If anyone would care to meet up, give me a shout.

^^^cool.

What are the chances of lavalle being open in the high winds tomorrow?
    No longer stuck.

post in here closer to the date. I ski often during the week and would be happy to rally a few laps.

Quote Originally Posted by riokarma View Post
    I guess LT took some traffic for us and that was just fine by me.
    God bless those who choose LT over the Bowl, they'll never know how much their absence is appreciated.

One of the great things about Snowbowl, is that when it gets a "big dump", LT and Lookout get more, and all the number chasers run North and South, to limp down the low angle runs, slowly pushing mounting piles of snow in front of them.

Holy fuck the 22" overnight at BigMtn was most excellent yesterday. I've never seen it that deep on the groomers up here. Had to share. Fuck my legs are toast. Sunshine calls today so the legs will just have to take it....

This season is shaping up quite nicely.

Thanks to everyone who came to Snowbowl, but just watched and/or participated in the events.
    No longer stuck.