Page 117 of 190 FirstFirst ... 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,925 of 4750
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    An intriguing job opportunity for me at the university. This is all quite preliminary, trying to decide if I should even apply, but seems worth posting in this thread to start my investigation.

I know absolutely nothing about Missoula. Nothing about skiing and mt biking near there, the town vibe, what it's like to raise a kid there (ie quality of schools and general kid friendliness), etc.

I live in Boulder and it is WAY too fucking big for me, way to expensive too. Lived in Burlington VT for a couple of years and that was closer to my speed, but the weather sucked. Lived in Durango for 6 years before that and that was right on point for me, but I couldn't afford to live an adult life there. I'm not a super aggro skier or biker, but I do like to do both quite regularly, and I'd certainly hope that access and crowds improve compared to Boulder.

So throw some insight my way.
    Montana Snow Bowl is the most underrated ski area in the West.
    It does occasionally suffer from it's low altitude and I'm sure it gets more crowded than it used to, but it's got some great terrain.
    Lost Trail is close enough for some variety as is Discovery by Philipsburg and Lookout Pass.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I know absolutely nothing about Missoula. Nothing about skiing and mt biking near there, the town vibe, what it's like to raise a kid there (ie quality of schools and general kid friendliness), etc.
    missoula is a great town, college town so has that vibe. great selection of breweries, some with food and others with resident food trucks, decent entertainment (top hat/wilma/kettlehouse amphitheater draws good talent), good bars, good eats and relatively easy to get around for a small town that has grown a bit and has a kinda weird layout to begin with. traffic can and does get quite jammed up in areas during rush hour but you've never really that far to go anyway. great town for biking and walking (downtown and university anyways)

it is pricey for housing, like mid to upper six figures (+) for the university district. north side is the cheapest but the most blighted part of town (its getting much better). rattlesnake is desirable suburby type living but again, pricey. coolest and easiest place to live is near downtown or university, after that it gets urban sprawley and commercial (tiny boxes on the hillside shit) to the south

cheaper housing options start in florence (south), frenchtown (west), bonner/e. missoula (east)...

can't say much for kid raising there, i'm sure its fine. i have heard schools are decent, at least haven't heard anything horrible

buster's got the insight to skiing pretty much nailed down, i'll just add whitefish (2.5 hrs north) kinda outta daily trip range but worth it for a long weekend

rattlesnake will be your default for mt biking/hiking, lots of single track up/down in there

WOOT WOOT! Nukin' in Missoula

Danno, For comparison Bozeman is Montana's version of Boulder, although it is smaller. Missoula is less yuppie and has way more soul. It would be a great place to raise kids. Winter inversions can mean gray skies though, so you've got to get up skiing to get the sunshine. Awesome place in the summer. It is generally very liberal but not pretentious.

I would say Missoula is more Montana's version of Boulder. And if you liked Burlington, you'll like Missoula.
    The skiing and mountain biking isn't world class, but SLC, Denver, etc are a 2hr flight. Big Sky or Whitefish are about 3 or 4 hr drives if you wanna go for a weekend.
    If you're up here, pm me. I'll buy ya a beer.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thanks y'all.

Hoping someone with kids can chime in, because that is super important. I get that the lifestyle is probably good for kids, but the actual quality of the schooling is very important too.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

It's better than Idaho Falls. There are a few private schools to piss away $ on. Well funded Public schools. Most bars are kid friendly. Tons of activities and venues geared toward youth. Things are tough @ UM. Are you a scientist?

Not a scientist. A lawyer.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Won't have the $ to piss away on private schools, so if public schools aren't good, the move isn't happening.

I have never lived in Missoula with kids so I have no personal experience, but I hear their schools are second best in the state after Bozeman. I live in Bozeman and have kids in public school and our schools are excellent. Bozeman High is considered a top 5% school nationwide, public or private. If Missoula schools are even close that would make them quite good.

The UM Law school seems above the fray. Kids from- all -parts of the District seem to excel. On a State level the head of OPI is Devos like, her term is almost over.

would rather live in missoula than boulder

I've figured out enough to know that in a vacuum I would too. But I've been here for almost 20 years, have good friends all over the state, have family nearby, have a kid, etc, making the decision not one that can be made in a vacuum.

I don't think the public schools are bad. There's a lot of them, the school bonds always pass, etc.
    I get the impression parents are pretty involved, and the schools as a whole are good. Even though it's a red state, they're good about funding primary schools and keeping the religious shit out.
    No longer stuck.

Would any local bicyclers be interested in a brand new pair of PI X Alp canyon shoes? 10.5/45.
    they look like this:
    No longer stuck.

Not a scientist. A lawyer.
    School of Law, or Office of Legal Counsel? MIght have some insights - pm me
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

I've figured out enough to know that in a vacuum I would too. But I've been here for almost 20 years, have good friends all over the state, have family nearby, have a kid, etc, making the decision not one that can be made in a vacuum.
    Danno, I have two little kids and I've lived here for over 20 years now, though my kids haven't started at the public schools yet.

That said, the public schools are great with the caveat that the elementary school districts are TINY so you have to pay very close attention when deciding where to live, because it makes a huge difference. For example, there are two elementary schools about 6 blocks apart that are generally considered two of the best in town, one has a spanish immersion program and the other does not.

And while people claim the housing is expensive, even the most cursory review will show that it is like half the price of Boulder for comparable properties. From the places you'd want to live, you can definitely get to singletrack without getting in your car.

PM me if you want to discuss more, I am happy to talk on the phone, too.

FWIW, and I cannot wait until CountryFunk chimes in, but I still fully agree with Buster that Snowbowl is one of the--if not the most--underrated ski areas around. And it MIGHT even have a new lift this year, which will help spread everyone out. Biggest upside is that I leave my downtown office, change, and be on the lift in less than 30 minutes.

Gild is a good one.
    Agree. Gild makes great beer and you can get a pretty damn cheap meal if you get two trendy tacos at $3.50 each.

real goat.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Danno, I have two little kids and I've lived here for over 20 years now, though my kids haven't started at the public schools yet.

That said, the public schools are great with the caveat that the elementary school districts are TINY so you have to pay very close attention when deciding where to live, because it makes a huge difference. For example, there are two elementary schools about 6 blocks apart that are generally considered two of the best in town, one has a spanish immersion program and the other does not.

And while people claim the housing is expensive, even the most cursory review will show that it is like half the price of Boulder for comparable properties. From the places you'd want to live, you can definitely get to singletrack without getting in your car.

PM me if you want to discuss more, I am happy to talk on the phone, too.

FWIW, and I cannot wait until CountryFunk chimes in, but I still fully agree with Buster that Snowbowl is one of the--if not the most--underrated ski areas around. And it MIGHT even have a new lift this year, which will help spread everyone out. Biggest upside is that I leave my downtown office, change, and be on the lift in less than 30 minutes.
    Geez, ya harsh on a ski area once, after a couple of really crappy snow years in a row, like a decade ago, and some people can't let let it go ...
    Truth be told, I don't know Snowbowl all that well and I have a couple of credible ski buddies who talk it up constantly, perhaps suspiciously so. I'd like to get a tour this winter and be proven wrong, will buy beers and/or bloody marys, right or wrong.
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

I feel you man. this is what has kept me in summit county and not moving back to montana or anywhere else really. well minus family nearby and kids but ya know.

I have family in Missoula and they have been very happy with the public school system . If you live in the U district you'll be surrounded by like minded folks and only 15 minute drive to Snowbowl which is a fun local hill with touring opportunities. It's a small town with a liberal twist(by Montana standards) that's influenced by the University. If you own in Boulder currently I would think that could make your housing transition very favorable. You'll have world class outdoor opportunities every weekend year round. If Boulder is too big and you have a job that can sustain you in Missoula it's a great place for an outdoor enthusiast.

An intriguing job opportunity for me at the university. This is all quite preliminary, trying to decide if I should even apply, but seems worth posting in this thread to start my investigation.

I live in Boulder and it is WAY too fucking big for me, way to expensive too. Lived in Burlington VT for a couple of years and that was closer to my speed, but the weather sucked. Lived in Durango for 6 years before that and that was right on point for me, but I couldn't afford to live an adult life there. I'm not a super aggro skier or biker, but I do like to do both quite regularly, and I'd certainly hope that access and crowds improve compared to Boulder.

So throw some insight my way.
    My son was born in Missoula and is now 7. Overall it has been a good place to raise a kid.

We live right in town, which is nice and walkable. There are tons of free activities for kids year around. The town is safe, and I feel fine about letting him ride down the street or adventure on his own. There's a good group of friends who are not tied to online gaming, and it's easy to mesh outdoor learning into everyday activities.

All or most of the schools have been recently or soon will be rehabbed thanks to a series of bonds. His school, Lewis and Clark, is a great environment, though I would have felt the same about Paxson as well. Washington Middle is near our house and I volunteer there a lot -- it is a good place to learn. I am also at Sentinel, and Hellgate highs a lot and feel fine about them.

One of the great differences I think you will find between Missoula and Boulder is the vast amount of open space families can roam in. Every weekend you can take your pick from hundreds of lakes, campgrounds, mountaintops, and trails, and it is almost guaranteed you will be the only one there. There's a real freedom you can feel as a family that I have not felt elsewhere, and that is priceless.

There are a few negatives to mention. Montana is basically 100 percent white, and your kid will not have any exposure to anyone who is not white unless you go on a determined expedition to find a random minority.

The other set of negatives I found for kids is what adults would call positives. Almost all of the trails, whether for hiking or biking, are really steep -- you don't get the sort of rolling small ups and downs here that you can find on the front range, and that can sap the motivation from even determined groms.

The other negative is Snowbowl -- we've skied as a family at almost every hill in Montana, Idaho, Washington, and British Columbia, and I can't think of a worse place to take your kids to ski than Snowbowl. Sure -- a new chair is planned which will have intermediate terrain (though no promise it will ever be groomed) -- and of all the used chairs in the world Snowbowl could have got, they got a fucking Riblet. Ever loaded a four year old on a Riblet? It will scare the shit out of you, even if Snowbowl's chairs don't break down as much as they used to.
    Last edited by cloud cult; 07-25-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    The other negative is Snowbowl -- we've skied as a family at almost every hill in Montana, Idaho, Washington, and British Columbia, and I can't think of a worse place to take your kids to ski than Snowbowl. Sure -- a new chair is planned which will have intermediate terrain (though no promise it will ever be groomed) -- and of all the used chairs in the world Snowbowl could have got, they got a fucking Riblet. Ever loaded a four year old on a Riblet? It will scare the shit out of you, even if Snowbowl's chairs don't break down as much as they used to.
    Yeah the bowl isn't really in the business of coddling beginner-level riders. If they can get used to it, then they will most certainly learn to become great skiers.

Just be sure to tell everyone else that snowbowl sucks and to stay away from this town.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Yeah the bowl isn't really in the business of coddling beginner-level riders. If they can get used to it, then they will most certainly learn to become great skiers.

Just be sure to tell everyone else that snowbowl sucks and to stay away from this town.
    Just go to Disco and on your death bed regret the extra 3 hours you wasted each trip...........

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Just go to Disco and on your death bed regret the extra 3 hours you wasted each trip...........
    I make the drive simply so I can have a crack at those chocolate-chip cookie mounds they bake at the lodge.

Would love it if they plowed the road to silver chief chair in the winter. Not having to drive up to the reservoir would be tits.