Page 142 of 144 FirstFirst ... 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 3597
  1. #3526
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Forecast for Snowbowl looks interesting.
    Rain then snow. Does that fuck avy conditions, like would that make something like Far East a no go on Tuesday or Wednesday? Might be a good day to do that otherwise.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  2. #3527
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range Shitshow
    Posts
    21
    It'll be fine. It would take something pretty extraordinary to make the bowl an avy risk. And rain followed by cold looks everything up, like putting a snocone in a freezer.

  3. #3528
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Yes, but there COULD be 6" on top of the refrozen snocone by Wednesday
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  4. #3529
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range Shitshow
    Posts
    21
    6" of fresh well bonded to a rock solid base on a low 30s wouldn't bother me any, but we're all on our own out there.

  5. #3530
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Yes, but there COULD be 6" on top of the refrozen snocone by Wednesday
    It will likely sluff rather than slab... Bowl slides typically only slides after upside down snow. PWL's are managed by consistent skiing and patrol, and there is no real wind to speak of 99% of the time.

  6. #3531
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Cool, thanks duders
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  7. #3532
    Rasputin's Avatar
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    3,859
    I was at Snowbowl from 1 pm to 6:45 today, it did not rain. The storm front came in white and whipping, quickly obscuring visibility, it was a sight to behold. Temperature dropped rapidly within the first 45 minutes.

    The new snow came in wet and will likely bond well, but the lower mountain was affected by warm temperatures in the afternoon, and with the dropping temps, may leave an under crust down low. The upper mountain should be bomber, it was already very good.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

  8. #3533
    Rasputin's Avatar
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    3,859
    If you have climbing gear, get up to the mountain, it skied great from top to bottom, in fact, the best turns since the bullwheels stopped turning (and for some days before that). The new snow is floaty but loose, it's bonded well to the crust on the lower mountain, base crust was there but not an issue. It started snowing a steady 1/2-3/4" per hour around 11:15 pm through when I left at 1:15 pm.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

  9. #3534
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Niiiiiice.
    Haven't really gotten out of bed yet (new gf). Maybe go tomorrow or Friday. Going off how long it took me to do Marshall, I'm a little discouraged.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  10. #3535
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Missoula DMV
    Posts
    863
    ^ no need to feel discouraged. The hardest part is sometimes just getting started on the trailhead, but you feel better with each vertical foot you gain. You don't have to be a superstar athlete to enjoy hiking for turns (responsibly of course, no need to push the limit right now), and with how things are in other states, we are pretty darn lucky to ride out the storm in this state.

    The bowl was worth the effort today. Lots of cars in the turnout, but people stayed in their groups and had no trouble with dogs.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7402.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	323237

    East bowl was a bit tracked, so pointed over to the West bowl and crossed very few tracks.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7415.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	323238

    Keep it safe out there.

  11. #3536
    Rasputin's Avatar
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    ^ no need to feel discouraged. The hardest part is sometimes just getting started on the trailhead, but you feel better with each vertical foot you gain.
    Nail hit on head!

    Also, you don't need to hike all the way to the top. For those in poor condition, Second Thought all the way from the bottom is a very gentile incline, and one can drop in at Griz Chute, which should be skiing pretty good (I was told it was good on Monday). Even doing one hike, can have a surprising effect on your next climb.

    I'm in my mid 50s, have reactive airway disease, didn't hike all winter, and though I need to stop and suck wind frequently, I've skied around 14k since the Bowl closed (split up over seven days). Go get some.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

  12. #3537
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Thanks guys
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  13. #3538
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    35
    Leave your fucking dog at home.

  14. #3539
    Rasputin's Avatar
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    3,859
    Holy shit! I was up there from 11 am to 1 pm. Probably 150 cars up there, and at least twice that many hikers. If you could find untracked snow, the base was barely touchable on the upper mountain. Snow quality was as good as we get at The Bowl. Best turns since February.

    While I'm not a germaphobe, I wish people would keep their distance. I won't think less of you if you don't walk right up to me, I can hear you fine from six feet away, and being on the mountain doesn't mean corona virus can't be spread there. Some guy I've never met walked right up to me to ask me how long I've been growing my beard. Doood! Back off!
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

  15. #3540
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Holy shit! I was up there from 11 am to 1 pm. Probably 150 cars up there, and at least twice that many hikers. If you could find untracked snow, the base was barely touchable on the upper mountain. Snow quality was as good as we get at The Bowl. Best turns since February.

    While I'm not a germaphobe, I wish people would keep their distance. I won't think less of you if you don't walk right up to me, I can hear you fine from six feet away, and being on the mountain doesn't mean corona virus can't be spread there. Some guy I've never met walked right up to me to ask me how long I've been growing my beard. Doood! Back off!
    The shit is going to get shut down if it continues as it is. Bunch of people with shiny new gear that never fucking tour suddenly decide they are "backcounty" skiers because we got 8 inches of snow. Straight up mouth breathers. Cool, I'm glad you have three dogs...think it was a good idea to bring all these fucking corona vectors up here? If i see another fucking sprinter van with Washington plates...sorry, end rant.

  16. #3541
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bethel, Maine
    Posts
    722
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey2012 View Post
    The shit is going to get shut down if it continues as it is. Bunch of people with shiny new gear that never fucking tour suddenly decide they are "backcounty" skiers because we got 8 inches of snow. Straight up mouth breathers. Cool, I'm glad you have three dogs...think it was a good idea to bring all these fucking corona vectors up here? If i see another fucking sprinter van with Washington plates...sorry, end rant.
    Parachuting into the thread from across the country to say: take this shit seriously, because lots of places around here that had initially said, more or less, "be respectful, take care of yourself because we don't have patrol or grooming, you're on your own' have now said "no trespassing," in many cases due to pressure from local communities who don't really want hordes of out-of-staters acting like "work remotely and stay isolated" is "vacation time".

  17. #3542
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Definitely leave you dog at home. 2500' of vert. I know my old man can't do that. He could barely get back in the car after Marshall. What is that, 1000, 1500?
    Saturday looks to be fun in the sun, but now I'm scared to go up there if d00dz are mobbing the place. I suppose that's to be expected. Maybe me and my compromised immune system will do Lolo. Have they stopped grooming up there? Can bring a dog to Hangover Hill or whatever that is immediately on the right?
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  18. #3543
    Rasputin's Avatar
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    3,859
    I won't be posting any more conditions, because the levels of dumbfuckery going on up there is infuriating. Today some complete imbecile decided to park side to side with a car parked on the side of the road right outside the arch with the Snowbowl sign. In other words they parked IN the road, as if the road was closed and anything goes. This is exactly the sort of stupidity that will fuck up the scene for everyone.

    Pat has been cool since closing, but just because Snowbowl is not open for business, doesn't mean that people aren't working on the mountain, and use the road daily. Blocking a lane of a Forest Service road, that Snowbowl maintains, is just the sort of thing that will get the road closed by the Forest Service.

    I resisted the urge to vandalize the red pickup parked there, since it wouldn't move the truck to a place where it wouldn't be a problem.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

  19. #3544
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Oh for fuck's sake. That sucks.
    So, looking at Google Earth, I did about 1800' at Marshal, which makes Snowbowl a little less intimidating.
    Better question: How far can one drive up Butler Creek Rd? Near enough to the base of the new TV area? It doesn't say.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  20. #3545
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    537
    No more updates!!!! No more stupid questions! Leave your fucking dog at home and don't park like an asshole. I too saw that red truck... What an asshole

  21. #3546
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Missoula, MT
    Posts
    20,707
    Leave a note in the dust?
    Teletherapy throwing wrench in my works. Just a hike tomorrow afternoon lol.
    Oh well.
    I mean, I suppose theoretically I could talk while skinning. Lolz.
    No longer stuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

  22. #3547
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Missoula DMV
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I won't be posting any more conditions, because the levels of dumbfuckery going on up there is infuriating. Today some complete imbecile decided to park side to side with a car parked on the side of the road right outside the arch with the Snowbowl sign. In other words they parked IN the road, as if the road was closed and anything goes. This is exactly the sort of stupidity that will fuck up the scene for everyone.

    Pat has been cool since closing, but just because Snowbowl is not open for business, doesn't mean that people aren't working on the mountain, and use the road daily. Blocking a lane of a Forest Service road, that Snowbowl maintains, is just the sort of thing that will get the road closed by the Forest Service.

    I resisted the urge to vandalize the red pickup parked there, since it wouldn't move the truck to a place where it wouldn't be a problem.
    Saw that same scene when coming down around 2:30p, but mistakenly assumed that it was part of a small group at a nearby pickup. Who the fuck parks like that when there is so much space on the sides? As I walked past the gate, a worker literally drove up and unlocked it to get through. Saw one of cat's pushing snow around at the top of Griz to boot, so it should be clear that work is ongoing up there.

    Fewer cars around today vs Wednesday, but it was clear that the popular spots were heavily tracked from yesterday's bonanza. I'd be very curious how many views this thread even gets from non-posters. I always kind of thought that it was more of a minor thread on an obscure part of the Internet. My bet is that the idiots on instagram and fuckbook can't help themselves, and are drawing the crowds.

    Going to avoid Sat/Sun to help keep the crowds down. I hope to god people keep it under control and don't piss off Pat.

  23. #3548
    Rasputin's Avatar
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    3,859
    They've been running two cats all week, plowing the roads so they can drive trucks up to Griz, to start the maintenance that some people think they never do. I joked with the cat drivers when I passed them on their lunch break a couple days ago, saying: "As soon as you guys started plowing the snow started falling, thanks for that."
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

  24. #3549
    Rasputin's Avatar
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Missoula
    Posts
    3,859
    Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    Saw that same scene when coming down around 2:30p, but mistakenly assumed that it was part of a small group at a nearby pickup. Who the fuck parks like that when there is so much space on the sides?
    It was still there at 2:30? They were there when I got there at 11:15.

    The truth is that it's a bad idea to park up against that bank in the spring, rocks often come rolling down, sometimes big ones. Also, one year when we got a big storm, people who were parked on that side got buried when Pat plowed the road with the grader.

    Also, beyond people working up there, people live up there, besides Pat and Molly.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

  25. #3550
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    10
    Can anyone tell me if the gate at Marshall is open?

    Is there a procedure for asking permission there?

    Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •