Page 20 of 191 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    ^^^but was it soft and light, or a frozen mess?
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    ^^^but was it soft and light, or a frozen mess?
    It was good in most places, great in many. Another great day at the Bowl.

The aspects that got the strongest sun, started to set up into a crust rapidly in the later hours.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Rasputin - Old Guard - SnowBowl Ski Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I met with a couple mags today in the Last Run; Boomer, and Mongo. Mongo is a ski builder who's skis drew much interest in the bar tonight, mostly awe at the sheer size of them. However, a certain resident curmudgeon shouted out "Fat skis are bullshit!", among other such cogent statements .

I suggested that they work very well indeed for the purpose they were designed for, but that was met with the suggestion that I didn't know how to carve a turn on 203 pencils, because I "muscled" my turns (heh, heh ), and, I shit you not, A CHALLENGE TO A SKI OFF ON 203s!

He demanded that he could outski me in any conditions on the aforementioned 203 straight skis; I was in stitches, and I suppose egging him on, by first suggesting spring corn, which are the conditions I've seen him ski most often, however he again asserted that he can out ski me in any conditions on 203s! I am cracking up at the absurdity of an actual call-out for a ski-off in real life, and say, OK, why not in the worst possible conditions? How about dropping into West Bowl on a coral reef refreeze morning (which I secretly love, being somewhat masochistic). He once again loudly expounds on how I cannot carve a turn! Gold!

I will not mention the name of the involved party, but I will bust out my 203 Salomon F9.1 2S when the snow gets wicked again, and see if he's up to his talk, it will be good for a laugh.
    To all those parties myself and Boom Heir encountered at SnowBowl in the past 72 Hours, we thank you for a remarkable experience.

Having only limited knowledge of Rasputin, and a chance meeting at The Last Run Tuesday evening, his hospitality and graciousness led us to fantastic last day in Missoula. Paradoxically, our then proximity to the lift caused us a roughly 19 minute delay in meeting the first bell. Bless the SnowBowl patrol for their 9:18 A.M. initial bomb.

In closing, many thanks to Rasputin, the Old Guard, the New Guard, Lot 2, SnowBowl patrol, and the irately angry cat groomer at approximately 2:50 A.M. Wednesday morning. We are currently in Whitefish for the hell of it. It was great meeting the community, and hope to be back soon. Here are a couple of pics of skis I build and good times in Lot 2. A 190 Explosiv is there for ref.

THATS RAD! WAY to have a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    To all those parties myself and Boom Heir encountered at SnowBowl in the past 72 Hours, we thank you for a remarkable experience.

Having only limited knowledge of Rasputin, and a chance meeting at The Last Run Tuesday evening, his hospitality and graciousness led us to fantastic last day in Missoula. Paradoxically, our then proximity to the lift caused us a roughly 19 minute delay in meeting the first bell. Bless the SnowBowl patrol for their 9:18 A.M. initial bomb.

In closing, many thanks to Rasputin, the Old Guard, the New Guard, Lot 2, SnowBowl patrol, and the irately angry cat groomer at approximately 2:50 A.M. Wednesday morning. We are currently in Whitefish for the hell of it. It was great meeting the community, and hope to be back soon. Here are a couple of pics of skis I build and good times in Lot 2. A 190 Explosiv is there for ref.
    It was good to meet you guys, too bad I didn't get to give you the full tour. Perhaps next time you shouldn't buy the bar's entire stock of PBRs.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

heading out tonight to ski lost trail tomorrow. looks for bros and a blue jacket.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Saturday: Crystal Amplitheater

Skied Pillow Line with the Porterette. Soso. Snowed lightly all day and as coming down the canyon at 4 pm snow changed to rain at 4200 feet and stayed rain until 3900 feet, then stopped. Then 18 degrees at the mouth of the canyon in Lolo. Weird.

Sunday: G-spot

Snow got so thick turns were accompanied by grunts, and I gave up trying to tele and just paralleled.

Non-propogating release atop a crust about a foot down on the ECT, fourth pat from the elbow.

we need some snow! I really hope this rain that has been coming down tonight is snow up at the bowl.

I had fun lapping groomers on lavelle today but then I took paradise down to leave and it was death.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post

I had fun lapping groomers on lavelle today but then I took paradise down to leave and it was death.
    Well it serves you right for wimping out and not skiing the bowls!

Serial, East Bowl, Far East, Angel Face, and Chicken Chute, all skied better than Paradise, which was, indeed, wicked bad.

Oh, and yes, we need snow badly.

Really fucking badly.

the one inch posted on the web was actually a half inch which seemed more like a quarter of an inch. skiied far east today and it was faacked. I mean, I love icy bumps.

Im probably going to skip out on skiing tomorrow morning in order to ensure my A on my wintersession final. then hope for better things this weekend into next week.

Winter session classes at UM are the worst idea ever. Any day at the bowl is better than one on the oval! Besides, how are you going to strech your degree out to six years if you keep taking extra classes during the ski break?

You take a gamble on shitty skiing in January so you can have fewer classes during spring semester, you dumb JONG. Tuesday and Thursday only schedule KILLS and is easy if you take an intersession.

Clearly Leshphilling made a wise choice this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    You take a gamble on shitty skiing in January so you can have fewer classes during spring semester, you dumb JONG. Tuesday and Thursday only schedule KILLS and is easy if you take an intersession.
    Points! Esp because Feb is when it actually snows.

Quote Originally Posted by mercuryhg View Post
    ...... Feb is when it actually snows.
    Um, yeah, that's the ticket, and this is my wife, Morgan Fairchild.......

Seriously though, what is needful to draw snow from the heavens is to learn to crave the chicken heads and ice bumps, and at such a point as you do, Ullr will become jealous for your desire, and unleash his fury.

Wow, it was sweet how my skinny skis were biting the crust today!

Quote Originally Posted by inthemtns View Post
    Winter session classes at UM are the worst idea ever. Any day at the bowl is better than one on the oval! Besides, how are you going to strech your degree out to six years if you keep taking extra classes during the ski break?
    while I would normally might agree I have very good reasoning this time around. This is my last college class, the class doesnt start until 1:30 (leaving a decent amount of time for morning riding), the class is only 2 weeks as apposed to the normal 3 weeks, and it is a super interesting class with a badass prof. Crown of the Continent with Rick Graetz, and I beleive its only offered durring wintersession. Ive been learning lots of cool things about the mountains, wilderness areas, and wildlands/ wildlife just to the north/ northest of us. I seriously reccomend the class to anyone who would happen to need 3 upper division credits. plus its pretty easy.

Man, there are some sweet ice bumps and chickenheads at the Bowl! Keep those edges SHARP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Um, yeah, that's the ticket, and this is my wife, Morgan Fairchild.......
    Just wait, you'll notice it after a few years.

I think I picked a good year for shoulder surgery.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Crystal Theater on Sunday:

LTP on Saturday:

Fresh snow,good times!POWDER! Mark Heyka sucks. Mt(non)Skier is a lame,bitchy, gear monger.

It was a "variable conditions" day, some shallow freshies to be true, but with submerged chicken heads and coral reef in many places, and some of the worst visibility in the history of the universe, well, almost.

I thought tuesday and wednesday were pretty damn good with all things considered. I found some enjoyable places to ski. windows was nice (although still crusty underneath but I assume thats to be expected) and meadows was surprising really fun if you traversed a little bit. also far east on tuesday was fun. skipped out today becuase of an appointment.

has anyone skied jenny bowl at all?? ive seen a lot of people with gear up there this week so i assume thats where they were headed. interested to know how it is out there.

and screw my boss for giving me the 11-3 shift monday tuesday and wednesday next week not only does that take the whole day away from being able to ski up at the bowl but 4 hour shifts, come the fuck on.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    has anyone skied jenny bowl at all?? ive seen a lot of people with gear up there this week so i assume thats where they were headed.
    Jenny Bowl is reserved for gapers without gear.

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    Fresh snow,good times!POWDER! Mark Heyka sucks. Mt(non)Skier is a lame,bitchy, gear monger.
    do i know you? i'm confused.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier