Page 167 of 191 FirstFirst ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 4757
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    ^^ as someone who has just eye-fucked Snowbowl in the fall, this place has so much potential. If y’all were getting 300 inch winters or had massive brushing, it would be epic. Good on you for the volunteer work!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Just wait until you meet Pat.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    To really appreciate Pat, one must wait in the bar until Pat emerges in his post-work "something more comfortable", specifically: wide-brimmed hat, massive puffy coat, and thermal longees. Apparently, Pat noticed the hot chicks who strip down to their underwear apres ski, and adopted it, going home and taking off his pants before going up to the bar.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by stan51 View Post
    There is a volunteer crew that does some clearing and brushing each fall to work off passes. Last year we spent a day opening up West Bowl mostly below the bike trail. This year, we spent a day thinning above the bike trail and got to maybe 100 yards above Gelande ridge. Didn't get to the alder sapling forest on the East Bowl side this year. Last year we got Chicken Chute, A-face, and almost all of the traverse from East Bowl to A-face. Our big projects this year were Mogul Alley, top of Whipped Cream and the bottom half of High Roller.
    Thanks for all your hard work!
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    ^^ as someone who has just eye-fucked Snowbowl in the fall, this place has so much potential. If y’all were getting 300 inch winters or had massive brushing, it would be epic. Good on you for the volunteer work!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    300?! That's average. Maybe even below average. The problem is how low altitude the base is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Dude got a new lease on life after a battle with cancer and is a whole different person. Or so I've heard and kinda seen.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

IG post today with a pic of the new load station. In typical SB fashion zero details or updates included.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/ClhhHHRvSLQ/?hl=en

Season pass pick up at Snowbowl: Saturday and Sunday (12/3, 4) 11am- 3pm.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Thanks for putting the heads up here. Keeping the fingers crossed for some more preseason dumpage.

Based on how things go, might be having to rest the legs by Saturday.

Hearing second-hand rumors from people who've been around awhile that the new lift had a setback is going to be delayed. You heard anything?

I heard the haul rope got installed.
    I also learned there is a surprising amount of safety oversight from the FS. So there's gotta be all kinds of testing and inspections and stuff before they can let the public anywhere near it. Which is nice, actually.
    No longer stuck.

maybe the USFS got wind of the people almost being decapitated first few days the snowpark lift ran and decided they had better show up and look at things :-).

Skytrac has a pretty good resume, so I have a lot more confidence in this lift than any of the other lifts at snowbowl. Pretty standard to have inspections, load tests prior to public loading.

I heard the haul rope got installed.
    I also learned there is a surprising amount of safety oversight from the FS. So there's gotta be all kinds of testing and inspections and stuff before they can let the public anywhere near it. Which is nice, actually.
    Of course, load testing is done on all lifts every year, and certainly would have been figured into the timeline, from the outset, by Sky Trac. If there is a delay, it seems it would be something unforeseen, probably affecting the actual operation of the lift. That's my unofficial guess devoid of most facts.

If it makes you guys feel any better, Whitefish is still fussing around with the install on their new lift too. As of yesterday, they were working on the splice for the rope. They're still acting like they're on schedule for opening day, which is one week from today. I remain skeptical.

I got a very late start, but I went up and did a very short hike (half way up lower Paradise), to see what was what. I got some quality powder turns. Day one in the books.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	436276

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    maybe the USFS got wind of the people almost being decapitated first few days the snowpark lift ran and decided they had better show up and look at things :-).

Skytrac has a pretty good resume, so I have a lot more confidence in this lift than any of the other lifts at snowbowl. Pretty standard to have inspections, load tests prior to public loading.
    LMAO, how could I forget about that!
    I got a very late start, but I went up and did a very short hike (half way up lower Paradise), to see what was what. I got some quality powder turns. Day one in the books.

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	436276
    Nice.
    No longer stuck.

Wind was blowing pretty hard at the top so i didn't go down lavelle.

Name:	PXL_20221201_224403266.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	436296

Name:  PXL_20221201_225843498.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:	PXL_20221201_233840059.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	436298

is this a new map or an old map? first time i noticed the "future expansion" runs

Name:	PXL_20221201_224523610.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	448.8 KB 
ID:	436301

I don't know how new that map is, but it certainly isn't the old map.

I went up to Snowbowl to pick up my pass, afterwards I climbed. I went as far as Far East, then skied the trees skier's left of it, because Far East was seriously tracked out. The seventy-five, or so, vehicles in L2 gave evidence of an army of climbers. Paradise was so tracked that it was developing bumps in places. Longhorn, though well skied better than it ever has for me in all my years at The Bowl (though I tend to avoid it).

It was a pretty day, and I took a few scenery shots:

At the bottom of the still chairless Transporter Lift, I saw a guy cranking a come-along in front of the bull-wheel, it looked like he might have been hoisting the haul cable. (I forgot to ask Brad about the lift)

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	436629

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	436631

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	436632

Name:	IMG_0107.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	436633

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    is this a new map or an old map? first time i noticed the "future expansion" runs

Name:	PXL_20221201_224523610.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	448.8 KB 
ID:	436301
    Were you up at the top of Snowpark? That's where I've seen this map before.

It gave me the impression that snowbowl had James Niehues paint their new map with the fully-finished expansion, but also had an interim version with that stuff clone stamped out in PS.

Pass pickup Sunday morning. Lots of discussion and speculation about the lift as we were waiting in line. Guy inside ticket office said that the load test was scheduled for 15th (or 19th?).

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Being as it will be one of the steepest chair lifts in the country, I'm sure Sky Trac will find some uncommon difficulties finishing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    I bet they will be just fine: https://skytraclifts.com/a-skytrac-near-you/
    I suppose in this case "just fine" means that it won't be load tested and ready to operate on opening day.

That map is at the top of lavelle.

went and got my pass today. car in the ditch, line of like 20 cars going up, people skiing up and down all over the place at the base.

Anyway, I skied again today. glad I checked the temp at pt 6 and saw it was 20 degrees warmer than in town otherwise i probably would have just stayed inside.

Can anyone confirm that the bowl is opening tomorrow?

I feel like they would have mentioned something by now? Website doesn't seem to have any updates, haven't seen any social media posts. It didn't really seem ready to go yesterday as far as grooming and cat tracks and whatnot. Lavelle was running for a bit while I was up there and some patrollers were skiing. But hey they have one more whole day!

Snow is pretty good though, been up there a bunch and will probably go again today.

Name:	PXL_20221207_225448550.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	437356

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    Can anyone confirm that the bowl is opening tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I feel like they would have mentioned something by now? Website doesn't seem to have any updates, haven't seen any social media posts. It didn't really seem ready to go yesterday as far as grooming and cat tracks and whatnot. Lavelle was running for a bit while I was up there and some patrollers were skiing. But hey they have one more whole day!

Snow is pretty good though, been up there a bunch and will probably go again today.
    In true Snowbowl fashion, Snowbowl has resisted any good sense in posting notifications, however, the very fact that patrollers were up there yesterday, suggests that they will indeed open tomorrow, since I can recall, in previous years, the patrol not showing up until 10 am on opening day to check the mountain out. The Morrises are not inclined to doing any work before the last minute, so it is not surprising the snow report (on their web site), and the snow phone, have not been up-dated, and still have the end of the season messages.

I don't doubt they will open tomorrow, I will be up there for opening bell, and will have my AT gear in the car, just in case.

I'm glad we're all on the same page.

Only SnowBowl would have their opening day information buried two pages deep on a 90ies era looking web page format.
    https://www.montanasnowbowl.com/wint...nts-2022-2023/