Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Whats The Worst Thing You Have Done to a Brand New Pair of Skis

So.... I totally gave my brand new JJs a core shot on my first day on them. Seeing as I spent a long time researching and saving for these beauties I kind of feel like a dick for skiing them in "questionable" conditions. The shop guy I brought them to for a base weld looked at me like I was a total moron, and gave me a lecture after fixing them.

So I'm looking for stories of other people doing really bad shit to their new skis so I don't feel so bad.

Any pictures would be awesome as well.

Brand new 192 Thugs, opening day Blackcomb, November 2007, 4 coreshots.

I later compressed an edge and then cracked another. Those guys took a beating. No pictures as we have since parted ways.

Massive core shot as well on the first day, but i was a hair away from blowing the edge out as well

Brand new Line Prophets. Let the guys at REI mount them for me.

dimpled the bases on brand new mantras mounting them in a living room in Cham. then they were stolen at lunch the next day. talk about adding insult to injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Bah, whatever. Skis are for enjoying, not for hanging on the wall. If you were doing something stupid (mixed-media straightline?) then that'd be one thing, but otherwise shit happens. Get handy with the P-tex and don't worry about it.

ha ha
    At least I waited until the second day to core shot my new Scratch BC's a couple years ago. Last Sunday I left a good section of base material on the rocks @ Copper. They'll get fixed, but might not be able to get another tune out of them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Bah, whatever. Skis are for enjoying, not for hanging on the wall. If you were doing something stupid (mixed-media straightline?) then that'd be one thing, but otherwise shit happens. Get handy with the P-tex and don't worry about it.
    People actually use that term? "mixed media?"

You mean like skiing down a rock face or off a log?

Mixed fucking media??????????

Sometimes I drive on snow, sometimes on asphalt. I'm a multi-variable polyethylene tube traveler.

Worst thing I've ever done to a pair of skis? Rode a brand new snowboard early season at big sky. Not even on multi-perameter terrasupport.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Not me, but a friend watched his buddy on a brand new pair of skis... he hit something under the snow, went down and the ski flew off. Went straight up in the air, and landed tail first on an exposed rock... instant full length delam!

A friend got a pretty bad coreshot close to the edge on his new snowboard during the first day while trying to outrun a small surface slide.

A few days later, it was stolen, along with his car, clothes, climbing gear, diving gear and most of the rest of his posessions. Then he was denied a refund from the travel insurance company on the grounds that he was not travelling when the car was stolen, as it was parked close to home at the time. Oh, well...

A coreshot is not so bad after all.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

I got a coreshot while skinning uphill for the 1st run of a brand new pair of Buddha Explosivs.

I think the worst thing I've ever seen was when Glisseur brought his brand-spankin' new DPS 138's to the shop to get them mounted. Of course this was going to be a hand mount since the P18 jig isn't wide enough.... sure they were gonna be extra careful and whatnot.

We picked up the skis that afternoon and the holes weren't even close to lining up. Talk about a bummer.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    SSD nails it. Tools not jewels, bro, tools not jewels. Base weld that baby up and she's fine.

I guess I core-shot the shit out of my Ninthward 1-8-7s last year. Took it out for a tour in late October, maybe? But whatever, several base welds later it's still my go-to setup. No big deal.

Finger banged them with no lube !
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Broke in line blends on a 5-kink urban that took 20+ tries. Skis actually ended up fine, but I felt horrible doing it.

You wanna ruin a ski? Ski at Big Sky.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    People actually use that term?
    No, not to the best of my knowledge.

JimmyCarter I wasn't quite sure why you posted that grainy REI pic until I looked really close. Holy fuckin lol.

and yeah SirShred, SSD is bang on but I still can't help feel some remorse

Mounted them with tele bindings

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    You wanna ruin a ski? Ski at Big Sky.
    I loved skiing there but hated it 'cause I could never own brand new skis. I would always destroy at least 2 pair a year there. I did happen to snap a new pair of Atomic BD first day out. Caught a hidden branch coming off a cliff at JHMR forcing me backseat on some firm snow. Snapped the tail right behind my right binder.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Mounted them with tele bindings
    WE HAVE A WINNER!
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Last year, newish set of mythic riders (demo skis, four days on them, minty) mounted with p12 demo binders. Skied maybe one or two days lift-serviced, then got out my do-it-yourself touring rig and took them slack-country. Maybe second turn, smoked a rock, ripped out a 60cm slap to ground (first, and I hope last, time ever), pulled out to the side and watched it run, finished the run to the side, pulled the skis off to have a look. Compressed sidewall, core shot x2, permanently fubar'd edges right underfoot. Went from being the newest skis I'd ever owned to most damaged in a single run.

I actually snapped a K2 Enemy right behind the heel piece on the third or fourth day out, beatering pretty hard in the park. But after looking at the cross-section of the ski, and seeing they were basically constructed of a topsheet, a base, plywood sidewalls and a core of sawdust and styrofoam packing peanuts, I chalked it up more to shitty construction and less to operator error.

Gave them to an Aussie to mount.....Brand new Armada ANT's. Tech mounted them backwards, and by that I mean toe of the binding pointed towards the tail of the ski.....idiot.
    First Chair.....Last Call.....

Over the years, I've compressed edge and split sidewall on three pairs of skis either the first day, or within the first 3 days.

Also rock skied the crap out of a pair of public enemy's within the first month of owning them.

Last season I was virtually broke, had a pair of skinny sticks to ski the massive dumps Utah got. Finally I was able to afford a pair of Bluehouse Districts from Blurred (they were cheap, but I was really really broke). The first day out on them I snagged a rock under the snow and went down, double eject. I found one of them, but not the other. I skied on one ski back to the car, grabbed the skinny sticks and my shovel to go and search the area, no luck.

My brother found it around august while hiking.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.