Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Used my 188 Coombas for the first time, at Whistler December 22ish 08. We had more snow at the suburbs of Seattle than Whistler did at their base, but we already had paid for the vacation. Nothing good was open. Harmony(not open, small cat track hike to get to the outer parts of it) somehow held week old pow that was very fun to ski, but with massive rocks all around. Not any base damage the first half of the day, then decided to do one run in a different spot near it. No core shots or ripped out edges..which was incredibly surprising. Hours of P-Tex work and edges that wouldn't come back though. Luckily I replaced those with 202 Lotus 138s this year though.
    The next day I took out my new 181 Chronics, which I didn't care about as much, and put some base damage on them but they are actually pretty durable. I hate those skis. Luckily broke them the last day of the season by landing switch on rut on a skied out landing and snapped a tail, so I got Evo credit warranty.

Borrowed my little bro's new to him XXX's at Copper, and managed to hit a rock compress the edge crack the sidewall and rip out about four inches of base. After noticing this he informed me of how much "my" new skis just cost me.

Crushed two pairs of PR's with 6-10 days on them each, skis were not made for the big kids. one bent directly in back of the binding and the second in front of the binding as well as shooting the foam innards out the sides.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Accidently took a piss on a pair of brand new DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Sometimes I drive on snow, sometimes on asphalt. I'm a multi-variable polyethylene tube traveler.
    Holy shit, I thought I was the only one!
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Broke a pair, got a new pair on warranty, broke one first run.

Quote Originally Posted by SP_sam-O View Post
    Used my 188 Coombas for the first time, at Whistler December 22ish 08. We had more snow at the suburbs of Seattle than Whistler did at their base, but we already had paid for the vacation. Nothing good was open. Harmony(not open, small cat track hike to get to the outer parts of it) somehow held week old pow that was very fun to ski, but with massive rocks all around. Not any base damage the first half of the day, then decided to do one run in a different spot near it. No core shots or ripped out edges..which was incredibly surprising. Hours of P-Tex work and edges that wouldn't come back though. Luckily I replaced those with 202 Lotus 138s this year though.
    The next day I took out my new 181 Chronics, which I didn't care about as much, and put some base damage on them but they are actually pretty durable. I hate those skis. Luckily broke them the last day of the season by landing switch on rut on a skied out landing and snapped a tail, so I got Evo credit warranty.
    Here's a picture from that day:

When X-Screams were $775, I leaned a brand new pair that I had just mounted against my shop table, forgetting that I had a propane torch burning on that table.

Before I knew it they were on fire. Bubbling, melting, through the glass, into the foam core. Done deal. $775.

Had to find a way to have the shop eat them without my boss knowing. Sort of had to scam 775 dollars out of everything else the shop was doing for the rest of that year then sell that other pair of skis.

^^^That'd be a great scene for the next Hot Dog type movie Hollywood makes.

drilling holes for our new rental fleet, about 100 pairs in, i switched bits to a new one. then i proceeded to drill right through the bases of a k2 apache, comanche (junior ski) turns out the collar of the bit when it is new is just as sharp as the tip. oops

no reprocussions though, 1 out of 205 ain't bad

tried to fix with black epoxy, no dice, its virtually impossible to epoxy a small deep hole with not getting any air bubbles in it

Dimpled the base of a pair of Stocklis mounting some Fritschi Freeride Pluses even though I knew they were thin. I'd laid out set of short screws but somehow they got mixed up with some normal length ones. Sheisse!

I got them out and managed to get the bases backed up with epoxy and flat but still..I fucked up.

Mounted a toepiece way crooked on a new pair of skis...completely obliterated all confidence I had in freehand mounting and it took about a year to build that back up
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    So.... I totally gave my brand new JJs a core shot on my first day on them. Seeing as I spent a long time researching and saving for these beauties I kind of feel like a dick for skiing them in "questionable" conditions. The shop guy I brought them to for a base weld looked at me like I was a total moron, and gave me a lecture after fixing them.

So I'm looking for stories of other people doing really bad shit to their new skis so I don't feel so bad.

Any pictures would be awesome as well.
    i always that was the case, you coreshot your new skis then is snows....a lot

a fucking newbie way back in the day ,it didnt occur to me people steal skis, left em on the car outside of the ski boot bar in whistler ... got em stolen

I put the jig on backwards on one ski and drilled one ski correct and one bassackwards. Didn't realize until I left the shop and had to go back and explain, and re-ask to use the jig again.
    Irreplicability in Professionalismness

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Mounted a toepiece way crooked on a new pair of skis...completely obliterated all confidence I had in freehand mounting and it took about a year to build that back up
    This is why I now pay shops $10-15 to just drill the holes... the measuring takes so long and you have to be exact.

Look somethings like this? Brand new pair of Watch Lifes(luckily, I got them for about $125 as a rock/destroy in park/ early season gravel ski).

They both look similar to this...There is a reason I made this mistake, but not something I am willing to say.
    Somehow I haven't noticed it at all while carving or any type of skiing except tail gunning over flats, where the tails start to drift toward the right.

Well not skis, but 2 times when I've gotten a sweet new surfboard, both got huge tail dings first time out.

Two blunders:

1) As a first-year shop Jong, mounted a pair of custom-order Super G skis for a customer, mistaking the boot midsole mark for the boot toe mark. (waaaayyyy too far back.) Customer did not notice, did great in the race. Me dumb.

2) Took a new pair of race-stock Atomic Super-G skis into the bumps....broke 'em...oops. Me dumb.
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

let a friend take them for a burn...let us say swiss cheese a' la' P-tex

#1. Let someone else mount them. crooked as hell. Last time for that.

#2. When I was 16 I mounted a brand new pair of Olin's for mid sole when it was a toe mark... In hind sight, that may have been the very first center mounted ski??

I don't really care to much of what happens once they get to the snow. That's what they are made for. There is always a sense of relief after that first base damage. kind of like bailing on that brand new bike.

Skiing Rossignol skis. I learned as a late teenager they where junk & still don't ski them. I wasted my early years on Rossignol skis.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Good old-school summer thread bump.

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyDaddy77 View Post
    Borrowed my little bro's new to him XXX's at Copper, and managed to hit a rock compress the edge crack the sidewall and rip out about four inches of base.
    Still pissed about it too, ya dick.

I once murdered a pair of merlin VI's first day out. Was following a buddy, thinking, I never ski this run. Last time I skied this run, I killed my salomon 9E's...

Same
    fucking
    rock.

Two feet of edge, core blown to splinters, cap mutilated beyond recognition. K2 warranty ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    When X-Screams were $775, I leaned a brand new pair that I had just mounted against my shop table, forgetting that I had a propane torch burning on that table.

Before I knew it they were on fire. Bubbling, melting, through the glass, into the foam core. Done deal. $775.

Had to find a way to have the shop eat them without my boss knowing. Sort of had to scam 775 dollars out of everything else the shop was doing for the rest of that year then sell that other pair of skis.
    lol...this thread pops up from the dead and I almost posted this same story. I guess there's no need.

I put a core shot on some new skis the first day of my season up at Mammoth last year. It was a foot deep. No regrets at all. +1 to tools not jewels.

Kind of off topic buuuuut first 3 hours on my brand new JJs at JHMR ended with a torn ACL, torn meniscus, and fractured tibia back in February... definitely the worst thing I've done ON a brand new pair of skis. JJs in perfect shape but I'm still doing PT three days a week...

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

Gold. I posted this somewhere in here before (not this thread). My first yr in a shop at Stowe I had mounted and was prepping some Olin's (HQ were in stowe at that time) for the GM or president's wife. Hot waxing them I was sidetracked by something and left the iron cooking in one spot. Base of the ski heaved. I ground it down as much as possible and then we just gave them to her the next day. ...ahh, she couldn't ski anyway

edit - blowing up a pair of new skis via blown edge, core shot, etc...that doesn't count. That's just called Skiing...and not being a sally with your new boards.