Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How to wring money out of rocks

OK doing some research on scrounging for money for an article...and ski bums and reformed ski bums certainly know how do to that. Tips would be appreciated...I'll start it off:

Sell your:
    Hair
    Body
    Blood
    Jewelery
    Stuff
    Change
    Scrap metal

Need links:
    Power level MMORPG characters
    Affiliate advertising
    Last edited by gonzo; 12-08-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: ring -> wring
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    OK doing some research on scrounging for money for an article...and ski bums and reformed ski bums certainly know how do to that. Tips would be appreciated...I'll start it off:

Sell your:

Body
    Drug studies/"clinical research"/whatever -- do not even think about it. Very bad idea, no matter what they claim. Don't do it.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post
    Drug studies/"clinical research"/whatever -- do not even think about it. Very bad idea, no matter what they claim. Don't do it.
    you sound like you're speaking from experience? good stories?

i had an unemployed buddy who was going to do a sleep study for 2 months several years ago. no communication, "timeless environment" (no clocks), IV in all the time, sleep drugs, no TV, only reading material, etc. he got like $10k if he did the whole thing but way less if he bailed without finishing. we talked him out of it.

I thought this thread was going to be up my alley. I want my money back.

well at least your signature has a clinical trial reference

i had an unemployed buddy who was going to do a sleep study for 2 months several years ago. no communication, "timeless environment" (no clocks), IV in all the time, sleep drugs, no TV, only reading material, etc. he got like $10k if he did the whole thing but way less if he bailed without finishing. we talked him out of it.
    That sounds a little creepy.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

meth heads are all over this

I live in a college town and at the end of every quarter and especially at the end of the year students throw away a shitload of home furnishings. I'm wondering if there is money to be made dumpster diving these things and taking them to donation for the tax write-off. Definitely dirtbag, but no immediate payoff.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be up my alley. I want my money back.
    That's a word puzzle, isn't it? Well, I figured it out and yeah, you can get money for that.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    meth heads are all over this
    They would be.
    The recyclables market has all but collapsed. I suppose they're hoarding and waiting for a rebound.

Another good one:

Voice/Time(phone support)

Anyone have any good experiences with paid online surveys?

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I live in a college town and at the end of every quarter and especially at the end of the year students throw away a shitload of home furnishings. I'm wondering if there is money to be made dumpster diving these things and taking them to donation for the tax write-off. Definitely dirtbag, but no immediate payoff.
    I've done this and sold some of the stuff on ebay. We used to drive over to campus with a large pickup truck and fill the bed a couple times over. DVD players, TIVO's, TV's (craigslist for those), computers, printers, and lots of other random shit. Some of it we kept (its a great place to get lumber; kids build bunk beds or whatever in their room, and then throw it all away at the end of the year). Its amazing what people throw away. I didn't have to buy laundry detergent for about 3 years.

Did you ever find any weed? I lost some back in '98.

No, but if you're missing some bong water that was heavily embedded into an upholstered chair, I think I found that.

Surprisingly, that chair didn't sell for much.

anyone ever driven cars from point to point for money?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    No, but if you're missing some bong water that was heavily embedded into an upholstered chair, I think I found that.
    Dang, I remember that chair. It probably had a little puke on it, too.

Ah, the good old days.

yeah whats the deal with online surveys? Scam as suspected? or are there a few buck to be had?
    Drive slow, homie.

anyone ever driven cars from point to point for money?
    A couple times. A friend of the family helped run a dealership and when I needed some cash he would pay me $15/hr to drive a car from one dealership to another a couple hours a way. Drop it off, pick up one of their cars and bring it back. Pretty simple. Never done the real long distance but I know people who have and who've paid to have their car driven. It's a win win situation for both parties IMO.
    It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - Rocky

I thought the powerleveling MMORPG was completely outsourced to China as nobody could compete for those incredibly low wages.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

I have a friend who mines for gold on world of warcraft, and then sells it for real actual cash. When he told me about this, it blew my mind.

I also had a different friend in college do one of those clinical studies. He was gone for 2 weeks and got paid like 2 grand for it. I think it was some lame drug for blood pressure, I can't really remember. He said the worst part was getting blood drawn like 15 times a day.

As for myself, I just work a crappy job for low pay. Which would make a pretty boring article. But mornings off is mornings off.

How about buying stuff at the DI/Goodwill and selling it on ebay?

I read a magazine story about migrant clinical trial test crash dummies a year or so ago.
    These were people who made it their jobs.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    I thought the powerleveling MMORPG was completely outsourced to China as nobody could compete for those incredibly low wages.
    I pay a couple of fellas in Guangzhou $.05 a post. The do a capital job

I used to go into old gold/silver mines in CO that hadn't been worked in a while and didn't have an active claim with a metal detector. A couple of hours and a bit of luck and there was money to be made.

You didn't put sell drugs as an option

Bullshit on the "clinical studies" thing. A lot of the time you just get something as simple as an MRI, give blood, or take vitamin pills. I can't think of a single case of a well person becoming ill or dying from participating in a clinical trial(I'm not talking about sick people participating in intervention studies). They are broken down into types too; observation and intervention--someone might just want to observe a natural phenomenon.

They can be nice too--free acupuncture or massages.

I used to pick up bodies from a regional airport and drive them to their rural funeral home destination of choice. Not a bad job for some spending money.