Info on 09 Head Monster 103 Team 183cm

Why can't I find any info online on these? Only see the Monster 102 in the Head catalog. I know the 103 Team is a Team ski - but you can find info online on previous year's team versions... Tell me what you know. Thanks.
    Last edited by spthomson; 12-07-2008 at 06:03 PM.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

They are gonna be the exact same as every other iM103 and M103 ski from the last 5-6 years. Super versatile, used to be super wide, not so much anymore. I had a killer day in about 20" of fresh at snowbird once. Super duper damp, which I like in a ski. Basically a crud slayer. If they're cheap, I'd say drop in.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    They are gonna be the exact same as every other iM103 and M103 ski from the last 5-6 years. Super versatile, used to be super wide, not so much anymore. I had a killer day in about 20" of fresh at snowbird once. Super duper damp, which I like in a ski. Basically a crud slayer. If they're cheap, I'd say drop in.

Would you say they ski like a wide Monster 88 or are they far beefier?

Never skied the 88, but I'd say far beefier. They are a traditional sandwich contruction. To me they are damp like some nice 223 DH boards. I just read some past reviews (search iM103) and people keep saying it's not really a pow ski. I don't get this, like I said, they slayed in 20+ inches of new. But I do tend to ski very fast, so I don't usually have a problem getting a ski to plane. At this point, however, I have to assume one would have a fatter, maybe rockered, ski for deep days. If I had this ski I would bring it out on the day after the storm where I'm likely to find mostly chopped up powder.

last couple years was called the supermojo 103 team, yes?

Yes, and I think for the last 2-3 years you have only been able to get them direct from Head on prodeal or something. I don't think they showed up in shops unless it was a closeout batch or something.

IIRC Head has changed the ski to the supermojo 102. Different tip shape, but same burly construction and flex.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLineSeeker View Post
    IIRC Head has changed the ski to the supermojo 102. Different tip shape, but same burly construction and flex.
    The catalog shows a monster 102. Topsheet looks the same as the monster 103 team, except for the "103 team" designation near the tail. Says "monster" near the tip. No "supermojo".

The new Monster 102 is supposedly more forgiving (softer) and easier to ski. I think Head says that every year with little to no noticable difference. I Haven't skied the monster 102 yet, but the mojo 103 (last seasons version) is solid and fast. Basically a race ski for powder.
    The names went from i.m 103 to SuperMojo to Mojo 103 to now the Monster 102. The "team" versions are just the ones that weren't available for purchase in shops (I think).
    Also, the dimensions of all the skis mentioned above are the same, with the waist at 102 (I think- sorry, i'm too lazy to look it up in detail).
    Last edited by jonnyquest; 12-07-2008 at 07:59 PM.

I have the mojo 103's. Great ski, super damp and stable like everyone says. Great in crud and good in deep snow but not great. D(C) I also have monster 88's and there similar in terms of being damp but the 88 has quite a bit of side cut where the 103 has very little which I think makes it better in variable snow cause its less hooky. Everything I have read about the 102 has been good but haven't skied it and Head claims to have made it cause some people found the 103 a bit of a handful. I think in the 183 length they are powerful but very manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    I just read some past reviews (search iM103) and people keep saying it's not really a pow ski. I don't get this,

IMO the 103s tip profile is more sleek and has a lower profile then your typical pow ski. The 103's construction have a race inspired construction which is designed more for mach speeds then soft snow prowess. Combined this with an uber low tip profile, some NON-fast skiers will feel like the tip dives for the bottom.

it's kind of your classic comp ski - total bottom feeder unless you're hauling
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    ...I would have dove into that bush like Jon McMurray.

im103 is still a benchmark ski in my quiver -- just so frikken silky and damp at speed, unfazed by death cookies or small children that get in the way.

on gear swap i have some new condition, in-plastic im103s for sale. i'm actually hoping no one buys them so i can keep them for when my current pair finally die (they are my early season rock skis now).

powder performance is function of where you mount them and how fast you ski. but yeah, for mach speed gs turns in pow that is less than 3 feet deep, they work well.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I've got a pair of the '09s that I'm selling in Gear Swap. I was asking questions to determine if they'd see much, if any, action this year with my surgically repaired knee (not skiing yet). I decided they wouldn't...