Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ski / Snowboard Furniture....

Since it's only really snowing in one part of the country (I guess two, if you count AK), I decided to build a snowboard bench. It should be noted that I normally have zero Bob Villa skills, but on this occasion I made something that actually came out really nice.

I have seen some really cool ski chairs on here before, so how about posting some pics of cool ski / snowboard inspired or constructed furniture.

The police never find it as funny as you do.

Looks to me like you found the lost snowboard from Berthoud Pass. Find my virginity?

Also, looks like a much better application than originally designed for.
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jane Hottie View Post
    Looks to me like you found the lost snowboard from Berthoud Pass. Find my virginity?

Also, looks like a much better application than originally designed for.
    Never been to Berthoud.
    Why don't you like snowboarders? I like skiers even though the vast majority of them that I meet are self righteous dick holes

2x6's and fancy pressed vanier = $$$
    Live

Who said I don't like snowboarders. Who do you think I lost my virginity to?
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

And by the way, I take offense to dick hole.
    "Pffffft, Please."

This is Earlywood, Snowsprite, and Stayalerts Ullrfest creation:

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Attach a beer opener on it and call it good. How sturdy are those legs laterally?

Quote Originally Posted by H0G View Post
    How sturdy are those legs laterally?
    Solid - until those washerless bolt heads tear into the timber?

His bench makes me feel better about my rustic carpentry skillz

Last edited by PNWbrit; 12-05-2008 at 04:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

your bench

Might think about throwing some washers on there. Looks like your standard Douglas Fir building materials. That stuff is pretty soft and those bolts will dig in and you'll be wobbling around on there even without 12 beers in the belly.
    Give the wood a good sanding, stain with some Minwax Mahogany, and spray-paint the bolts and washers black and you'll have the sickest bench on the block!

Good work.

I picked this beauty up from a local area in the middle of summer. If anyone is from the Seattle area, summit at snoqualmie was selling these over the summer. Great deal at only 50 for a complete chair

This is the day i got it, started work on it right away. Started peelin away the old paint with Industrial paint stripper (wooo!! inhalants) and got that done in a few days. next was sanding away the rust (YAY LEAD BASED PAINTS) and that was fun. Got everything sanded down and ready to paint in about a week, then painted 2 coats of primer on followed by 2 coats of rust-o "hammered bronze".

I'm very proud of what I've got done so far, but I still need some help on the legs.

I'm thinking of making a steel base to hold it up, or going cheap and using sealed wood. Any suggestions as to how i could get this done? I've got the tubing to make a base, but lack a welder.

that looks awesome

did the top tubes come with it or did you have to get them elsewhere.
    If you got them custom bent im sure wherever it was has a welder
    Live

It came all together. I think what i'll end up doing is find a local welder and take the stuff to them and get it done for however much is reasonable. It's not a high priority seeing as how its winter and it's outside so I can't enjoy it often, but in the summer it'll be ontop of my deck where there is a view.

That is awesome!
    Stood upon a mountaintop.
    Walked barefoot in the Snow.

this is always a good way to recycle skis...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    this is always a good way to recycle skis...

Cool idea
    How careful do you have to be storing bottles this way?

Quote Originally Posted by skiingsamurai View Post
    2x6's and fancy pressed vanier = $$$
    No pressed veneer here and the back legs are 2x8's. This baby is solid wood and mad sturdy.

(unless you're talking about the snowboards, then yes fancy pressed veneer through out)

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Cool idea
    saw this idea a few years ago...not my photo though

If there was concern about too much pressure on the neck of the bottle you could put some kind of foam to line the inside of the drilled holes to pad it a little...

Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke View Post
    No pressed veneer here and the back legs are 2x8's. This baby is solid wood and mad sturdy.

(unless you're talking about the snowboards, then yes fancy pressed veneer through out)
    I think he means the slightly out of place looking leafy thing you've got going on with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Making a Pizza View Post
    I think he means the slightly out of place looking leafy thing you've got going on with it...
    That's solid wood as well. I hate particle board. I don't think it looks out of place, plus it looks better than the 1 1/2" open gap that it's covering.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Cool idea
    you don't have to worry. Most wine bottles are pretty solid. The ski one is cheating with a base though. Most of those type of holders don't have a base to hold them up:

I got a triple 60 chair also. Sanding it was a pain in the ass. I hung it on a 14" length of steel tubing (cost like $12) mounted inside a 2x6 structure bolted on a beam. It's beefy, and swings nicely. I also retrofitted an old bench that came with the cabin with skis from goodwill and made a nifty hat/glove drying area above the fireplace with the toe pieces. Total cost about $25.

We all know how this season has been so far. So, instead of ditching work to ski radical lines with deep pow and big drops... I've been at the office trying to fight off boredum and actually doing some real work like I am supposed to. I also cleaned up the place for the first time in a long time. I even vacuumed. And to add a nice touch, I built a coat rack from old skis.

ski coat rack 1 by powder4breakfast, on Flickr

ski coat rack 2 by powder4breakfast, on Flickr

spook Guest
    mt hood meadows was selling leftover yellow chairs (doubles) for $200. i wanted one but i just couldn't justify giving them another $200

Threw this together hastily so that I had something to put my mattress on. Once spring rolls around I will finish it off with a less fence like placement of the skis and some finishing touches on the side rails and four posters.

Yes that is a builtin USB port, one on each side for charging devices.