Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Salomon Ghost Pre-Ski Review

So I have been a Lange boot guy for basically the last 10 years, I can't find anything better that fits. However, I got a smokin deal on some Solly Ghosts so I figure I will give them a shot(never been a Solly boot fan)...so below is how they feel out of the box, will be skiing them today @ LL, and report a more in depth field test.

Out of the Box:

Put them on the heaters and then strapped them on the legs...The liner has a lace cinch that really gets the liner to wrap the legs(this felt good). The "last" seems relatively narrow(believe its in the 98mm family), but not as narrow as my Lange CompCS Pros fit.

Its hard to believe that with only two buckles you can get the type of foot purchase and stability this boot provides out of the box. The buckles/powerstrap are quite significant to say the least(each buckle is about 1.5" thick). You really feel it crank the shell closed.

From what I can tell, these boots should be just fine. I am gonna roll them stock right out the box and see what a little cold weather will do to change up the flex; right now @ room temp they are a little mushy. If they are still a little too soft, I will play around with the rear spoiler stiffener.

I will report back with the results...

FYI: they are a falcon with less buckles, and more bling. the lange HP fit is similar too

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    FYI: they are a falcon with less buckles, and more bling. the lange HP fit is similar too
    Close, but not quite. Ghost has the X3 plastic. Falcon does not. It makes all the difference. Well, that and the construction adds some flex properties that make this boot pop like a champange cork. Oh and the toe box is far different than the Falcon. So yeah, I guess I'll conclude, mntlion=wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SluffMgt View Post
    I am gonna roll them stock right out the box and see what a little cold weather will do to change up the flex; right now @ room temp they are a little mushy. If they are still a little too soft, I will play around with the rear spoiler stiffener.

I will report back with the results...
    Just ordered a pair of Ghosts yesterday. Tried them on in a store and they felt great, much better than any other boots I've tried on recently (been doing some extensive boot shopping lately). Good heel hold, and just barely enough room in the toe box. My only concern is the flex. I'm coming off of some really old Salomon X-Waves with a 110 flex, and although the Ghost also claims to be a 110 flex, they seemed to be a bit softer than my old boots. I'll look forward to hearing your on-snow review. For reference, can we get your height, weight, skier style, etc? And what is this rear spoiler stiffener you speak of?

I was told that it is the falcon shape. Me bad (or at least my boot rep)

Cody: is that X3 plasic in YOURS, or the boots for mortals too?

This is funny, I've also been riding Lange since day 1 and also switched over to Ghosts this year, finally hanging up a pair of Lange Banshee 9s about 7 years old. I've already skied the Ghosts 4 days. In store, I had some bad ankle pinch but otherwise dug the fit. I was a little worried about the whole thing, but I kind of figured.. why the hell not. I got a good price on them mind you.

I am 5'11", 165 lbs., and drive skis ranging from ANTs to Rossi Scratch BC WRS. In short, big pow straightliners to more poppy planks.

Well, after 4 days on hill I can say I love these boots. The thermomold gave a tight, precise fit but otherwise I have few if any fit issues. The ankle pinch is gone, and with toes right to the end I have neither toe pain nor shinbang, but a glove-like feel. The liner is quality, and I like the lace-up system. The boot isn't as wide as a standard Solly, so it fits even my Lange feets. The boot can get damn tight, with plenty of room left in the buckle as it packs out. My toes feel nice in there but I feel no real loss in precision with only 2 buckles. Undoing the top buckle and strap makes walking fairly easy for a downhill boot as well.

I quite like the rubber grip under the instep and use of rubber throughout the sole. It has already come in handy hiking over rocks. The rubber under the heel inside the shell is also quite nice for landings, and I do notice it.

As for flex, I find this to be a fairly stiff boot. Sure, it's not a plug race boot, but I didn't want a stiff-ass ankle-breaker. I wanted something very different as I've been feeling that a stiff boot is simply no longer necessary with fatter skis. I want something that gives me a more stable, upright stance so I am not pressuring forward as much. I wanted a boot that was tailored to some minor hiking, and that had design in it to accommodate for riding and landing switch. So far, this boot has proven me right on the terrible conditions we've been having out here. The boot holds together both laterally and with solid stiffness in the forward flex, edges well, and drives without hesitation. It's not as upright as an SPK, but that's sure as hell not what I want for a serious all mountain boot.

What else to say? Sure its got some bling, but this is also a damn fine boot that I think points the way forward. It has a lot of attention to detail (buckle savers!), quality construction (waterproof!), a wide footbed but a narrow last (at least for Solly). I quite like it.

If they made a 'walk' version of this boot, that would be an interesting entry for Solly into the AT crossover market.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I was told that it is the falcon shape. Me bad (or at least my boot rep)

Cody: is that X3 plasic in YOURS, or the boots for mortals too?

Yeah, every boot is X3 plastic. oh and your rep is mostly right, the mold is the falcon mold with only a toe-box adjustment. I was just pointing out other random details.

And to those concerned about softness, the softness you might feel while trying them is duly made up in the amount of pop and rebound these boots have. It's something I've noticed, other athletes have noticed and was confirmed to me by the boot genius engineer guys in Europe. It's not a selling point, nor can you really translate it that well because never before in boot making has 'pop' been involved in the techs of a boot. So yeah, kind of interesting.

Just so you all know, I was really really skeptical of this boot at first. But after two years of testing and development, this is the single best boot I've ever had by light-years. I can't even ski a four buckle boot anymore.

Anyways, that's my 2¢

Post-Ski Review

Per some requests, Resort: LL, Conditions: bottomless, chop, and more bottomless, Skis: Line EP's, bsl: 305(solly) 308(lange), I am 5'8" 160lbs, and am an aggressive skier. Now to the results.

Boot: So everything about the boot is really great. I did replace the foot beds with my customs. Like Alkasqualik said earlier, the flex is more poppy when you flex forward the boot responds and springs back. Coming from a '06 Lange WC120, the boot doesn't feel all that much softer, but extremely responsive. It handles anything from big fast fall line turns in the pow on chop, to nolliepops and switch landings. I liked how these boots felt when really pressing the front of the boot. The lace-up liner is nice and wraps the lower leg/shin nicely. The shin buckle and massive powerstrap are sufficient enough and are strategically placed to provide a super secure fit. The lower buckle is placed in just the right spot without providing too much instep pressure. The boot fits perfect everywhere(no pressure points or hot spots, except for my left big toe. I can truly say I am impressed with the Ghost.

Gripes: Alkasqualik had also mentioned something about the toe box of the Ghost being different from its cousin the Falcon. Is the toe height taller, from foot board to the top of the shell than the Falcon? If so, then this may be why my left big toe fucking is throbbing and feels like I am going to lose a toe-nail. And no the fit is not too big(Im two shells down). I even went down from a 26.5 Lange to a 26.0 in the Ghost. The Ghost is 3mm smaller in shell size than the Lange, but I can't imagine that 3mm would make a boot too small for my bigger left foot(my right foot feels $). I do think though there maybe a little extra room top to bottom, and my toes might be slammin up on the top whenever I get a little back or am really pressing the front of the skis. I am really bummed that this boot fucked my left toe because everything else is $$$$.
    Does anyone think going to 26.5 would make the difference for my bigger left foot. If I am correct(please correct me if I'm wrong), a 26 and 26.5 boot shell is the same shell size per the boot company, they just put a different size liner in the shell.

Any feedback on why my left toe may have got F'd that would be great. I've never had this problem with any of my other boots.

Get the shell blown out and tweak the liner. I just did the same on the big toes of my FTs and they are much better now

So if I really like my xwaves, but wouldn't mind a more narrow heel, I should get over the bling (I just don't think I'm cool enough) and try them on. Oh, and Cody, Down Days finally arrived...very good. Even the wife was into it!
    Support your local lurker!

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    So if I really like my xwaves, but wouldn't mind a more narrow heel, I should get over the bling (I just don't think I'm cool enough) and try them on. Oh, and Cody, Down Days finally arrived...very good. Even the wife was into it!
    If you like X-Waves I'd say the Impacts might be better. Same forward lean and last as the X-waves with a better cupped heal. Impact is 100 last and Ghost is 98 with a couple more degrees forward lead. Glad you and the wifey liked. Where you at these days? P-town?

Does anyone think going to 26.5 would make the difference for my bigger left foot. If I am correct(please correct me if I'm wrong), a 26 and 26.5 boot shell is the same shell size per the boot company, they just put a different size liner in the shell.

Any feedback on why my left toe may have got F'd that would be great. I've never had this problem with any of my other boots.

26 and 26.5 are the same shell, different liners (that both pack out to be about the same) or different footbeds (that you should replace)

just make sure your heel is back all the way on the L boot. if the heel is too far forward your toes will be too.

if not just get the end of the liner opened, and / or the shell punched a bit.

Wilsons in LL can help you, or come see me in banff.

I can't wait to try the ghost. My bro is getting a pair this year and luckily we share the same size/BSL (also sweet for swapping skis). If they turn out to be as good as everyone seems to say they are, they will replace my 03' sally pro models next season. Just need the snow now.

Had 2 days at revy with them and they rock. Really noticed the pop and the flex seems really natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    If it's narrow heel you seek, don't be afraid to go Falcon, or Pro Model from last year or this year. I rocked this years pro model last year, and it was the tits. I have a stupid skinny ankle and this is the only boot in stock form I've found that locks it down.

CT is right though, the Impact is also suppossed to be narrow in the heel. Try both (Impact 9/10, Falcon 9/10, or Pro Model) and see what feels best.

As far as the Ghost goes, it makes sense. Yeah there's one buckle on top, but it's pulling across a flap that is as wide as what two flaps on a 4 buckle boot would be. For me anyway, if I tighten one of the top two buckles, I have to tighten the other likewise or it's too loose and will flap open. So why not just make one buckle and a wide flap? And I seriously never buckle my toe buckle on a 4-buckle more than enough to keep it from flipping open. So, why not get rid of it? Voila, two buckle boot. Not all that radical really, but kudos to Salomon for doing something unconventional.

Now if they could just be as warm as intuition liners.....
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    the mold is the falcon mold with only a toe-box adjustment.
    So falcon=gun, right?

How is the toe box different? My guns fit near perfect, but I was thinking of the ghost as a future boot. I like the hiking features.

How does the weight compare to the gun? Another feature I like about the gun is how light it is. Still I wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer boot, which the ghost sounds like.

So you have the falcon last guns? Fit is pretty similar from what i can tell in my living room. Ghost is def. light, lighter than the falcon gun, which I think is part of the point of the whole two buckle thing. I hear they're gonna lose some of the punk studs next season to cut even more weight

Interesting to hear about the Ghost, I just assumed the two buckle systems was a marketing gimmick, like rear entry boots. I remember when rear entry boots were all the rage (I had a pair of Salomon sx92s myself), and then it seemed like in the span of one season rear entry was dead and everyone was making 4 buckles again. I thought one of the main reasons for moving back to the 4 buckle design was to give more control/precision tightening the boot that a reentry design could not match.

I'm currently in X-Wave 10s, I don't think I'll be replacing them this season, but if I do, I'll definitely make a point of trying the Ghost on. Does anyone know the difference between the Ghost and the SPK? I had a look on Salomon's site, it looks like the SPK is a park boot and the Ghost is more of a free ride boot, however the flex and buckle system look the same. Do they both fit the same or is one better suited to wider foot?
    Last edited by Dr.Evil; 12-07-2008 at 09:11 PM.

May have found the culprit

The boot fits perfect everywhere(no pressure points or hot spots, except for my left big toe
    So today, my left big toenail is pretty bruised on the top of the nail, but the front of the toe feels just fine(I've concluded the fit is okay front-back length wise). However, looking at the boot design I noticed there is a rivet at the end of the toe box that attaches a couple different pieces of plastic near the end of the boot. Ironically, this rivet is located directly above where my big toe sits in the boot. So I pulled the liner out of the shell and sure enough, the liner was also heavily dimpled right on the top of the liner(there is not much material here, I was originally thinking I may need to compress some foam in that area, but there is nothing to compress).

I felt the rivet in the shell and it was not sitting flush with the plastic(it was slightly tilted). So I took a dremmel and shaved down the metal rivet. I think this is what is the problem, because this did not happen to my right foot. I am going to wait for my toe to heal a little more before I ski this boot again, for now I will stick with my true love Langes. :yourock

Sore toes suck eh. Mine went numb today, I've solved the pain but the fit isn't quite there yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between the Ghost and the SPK? I had a look on Salomon's site, it looks like the SPK is a park boot and the Ghost is more of a free ride boot, however the flex and buckle system look the same. Do they both fit the same or is one better suited to wider foot?
    SPK = 102-104 last = wide and very upright boot and 80ish flex. The shape MIght work well for a large foot guy, but not the flex. Flex might work for a skinny/light kid, but not the shape?

Ghost = 98mm (falcon shape with tweaks). 120flex. better all around boot for more foot shapes

Anytime gear gets simpler and lighter, I'm stoked.

Any chance the super-genius-french-nuclear-physicist-boot-designer has ever posted or written an explanation of how the boot has more "pop?" Everything else makes sense to me, but if it's the same X3 plastic as the WC lab boots (PE) and there's no stringer or similar up the achilles then I don't get where the faster rebound would come from.

^The studs on the power strap, duh.

Quote Originally Posted by flip View Post
    Anytime gear gets simpler and lighter, I'm stoked.

Any chance the super-genius-french-nuclear-physicist-boot-designer has ever posted or written an explanation of how the boot has more "pop?" Everything else makes sense to me, but if it's the same X3 plastic as the WC lab boots (PE) and there's no stringer or similar up the achilles then I don't get where the faster rebound would come from.
    Yeah, but Joe, who seriously is a genius with boots and one of the coolest guys to ever work with, explains it in terms I can barely understand nor repeat coherently. In my opinion the 'pop' or rebound comes from the additional layer of molded plastic in high-ankle of the boot and mostly from the lack of a lower buck in under the high-ankle buckle. Since there is additional plastic and not metal in the area just above the fore-foot, lower-ankle area, the boot doesn't just flex forward on a single pivot point. It flexes into the plastic and the plastic wants to push back in a more reboundy way. God this is hard to explain in typing, but essentially what I see is that the lower cuff buckle causes the boot to pivot solely on the traditional flex point. When that buckle is gone but additional plastic is added for support, the ankle flexes more naturally and the additional plastic pushes back like a shock. Fuck, I should make a video or something to explain this. Visuals are much better.

But the last thing to consider is that Giorggio Rocca (the world cup champion Italian slalom skier) tested the Ghost boots in the summer slalom training. He liked the pop feeling so much that he helped design the new X3 to have pop and rebound like a Ghost. So now, Salomon is running with this new found rebound and pop idea into their highest performance boots. It's a crazy concept that kind of came up accidentally but is now influencing everyone from freeskiers to racers. Never before, in my opinion, has rebound been considered in boots. Now it opens up a whole new world of possibilities and technologies.

edit: or what Jamey said, he's a genius when it comes to studs. (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    But the last thing to consider is that Giorggio Rocca (the world cup champion Italian slalom skier) tested the Ghost boots in the summer slalom training. He liked the pop feeling so much that he helped design the new X3 to have pop and rebound like a Ghost. So now, Salomon is running with this new found rebound and pop idea into their highest performance boots. It's a crazy concept that kind of came up accidentally but is now influencing everyone from freeskiers to racers. Never before, in my opinion, has rebound been considered in boots. Now it opens up a whole new world of possibilities and technologies.
    This is fascinating, and explains why I like the boot so much. I couldn't quite put my finger on it -- there's something about it beyond the bling that speaks volumes about design.. and now I know what it is.

Now, has Solly come up with a way to make it please stop raining here in Whistler?
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats