Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

the OFFICIAL maggot unemployement thread

Well, just got the big middle finger (along with 3000 other fellow ex-wamu employees) from management. 60 day working notice, last day is Jan 29. Most the Home Loans execs who were responsible for our collapse got jobs with Chase, so that's good for them Oh well, good timing to have lots of free time with ski season here!

Any other unemployed mags out there? Lets share our favorite recipes and dental tips

I suppose you can always move back in to dentistry? I hear there's a sweet conference coming up in NYC.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

If you live in WA state, their unemployment system isn't too bad for a skier - just make "3 contacts a week".

Only occasionally do you have to actually produce your job search logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    If you live in WA state, their unemployment system isn't too bad for a skier - just make "3 contacts a week".

Between savings, severance, and unenjoyment I figure I can make it comfortably 9 months. I have a pass to Alpental already and with gas getting cheaper every week I'm looking forward to lots of turns this winter. That's the good news in all this.

I've been self-employed by force since July. I hate the insecurity of it, but it's nice to be able to make your own schedule.

I'm in non-pay status until March 1.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

i am jobless and happy!

Im jobless as well. SOMEONE PLEASE HIRE ME!

You people have 'jobs'?
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Jobless over here - by my own choice. Should have a paycheck coming once a month til about February which is nice. Have saved a shit ton over the past year as I planned on leaving.

Not looking forward to the ensuing job search. Thinking I may just do something part-time for the rest of the ski season and try to get as many days on the hill as possible.

I've been purposefully ignoring talk of the job market lately because I told myself I was quitting at the end of this year no matter what. Is is THAT bad???
    It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. –Ernest Hemingway

Unfortunately, I was laid off with no notice, I make next to nothing as it is (and report even less as I wait tables) so my unemployment check doesn't amount to much, I'll be going back to work (2 jobs) in a few weeks when ski season gets going, there is still no snow here, and I can't afford to go somewhere else.

I'm unemployed. I did close a big deal though recently, so I am ok for a few months. Somebody hire me!
    sigless.

um, i havent worked since rafting season ended, like august 15th or something. had enough money for my month and a half roadtrip, but have been STRUGGLING here in tahoe since. if i would have stayed in brecktown i would have been working since mid october, which hurts even more. i have 2 resort jobs lined up, but that relies on the mtns actually opening.

i have learned that 40's are the cheapest way to drink, totino's pizzas are 1.75, and cheez-its are 2 for 1. besides that ive been on the rice or ramen diet again that i thought i wouldnt have to do again after college.....

i got the cut this summer and again last monday. fun stuff.

I picked a great time to graduate college with a degree in finance.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    I picked a great time to graduate college with a degree in finance.
    Nice work! I think that bests me graduating in IT in 2001.. right in the middle of the tech bubble bursting. It wouldn't be a bad time to stay in school and get your MBA, or masters in whatever. By the time you're out things should be better. ...or you could do the responsible thing and just ski all winter

unemployment recipes and dental tips:

recipe: ramen noodles
    dental tip: Kamchatka Vodka

Being unemployed sucks so bad and is so awesome at the same time.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    moved to NYC in mid august, had a soft offer lined up with American Express, woke up one morning to see they cut 7,000 jobs and that the department I had been interviewing with would be having a hiring freeze till at least jan. seriously thinking about bumming out in Colorado again this season.

I've been unemployed a few times, all but one by choice. First I'm really happy, then the job search starts, then I wondered If I made a mistake as I find nothing...then ofcourse, I get something and to date has always been better than what I left. Given the sky is falling mentality that people are tossing around the planet lately. I'm glad to be working right now, even though I'd rather not be.

Should get word next week that Dec 31 will be my last day. Already booked a one way flight to CO at the end of the month Anyone want to sublet a room in NYC for the next 8 months?

Quote Originally Posted by GordonShumway View Post
    Between savings, severance, and unenjoyment I figure I can make it comfortably 9 months. I have a pass to Alpental already and with gas getting cheaper every week I'm looking forward to lots of turns this winter. That's the good news in all this.
    So what are you complaining about?

I moved across the country for a job that didn't work out. Spent 2 months jobless and now work parttime at a job I thought was going to be full time. Awesome way to begin life after grad school.

unemployed here, by choice. I probably still would've had my firm job, but Fallin's teaching position was going to be cut to at least half time.

we're in south america until may. Inflation is a bitch down here, so life is not all roses in the $$ category. Luckily I have had 2 clients keep me on to work remotely since august.

lotsa former bankers on the gringo trail down here!
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

got extended till 2/28 @ wach, doesn't look good after that
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post

I'll pass along an un-enjoyment tip I learned from a wise man many years ago (I'm just trying to give something back to the sport);

Look at the Sunday classifieds or wherever and find 3 or 4 jobs in your field, or maybe not even in your field, that you are underqualified for and send them a photocopy of your resume and a shitty cover letter. They send you a letter saying "thanks for your interest etc., etc.". You keep the letters as proof you've been looking for work.

Weekly cost - like 45 minutes and maybe $2.50, and you've got all sorts of documention to show you've been actively seeking employment without the risk of actually getting a job offer.
    Why must I feel like that, why must I chase the cat?
    Nuthin' but the dog in me. George Clinton

Unfortunately, I was laid off with no notice, I make next to nothing as it is (and report even less as I wait tables)
    damn, it must be rough out there if they laying off waitors.