Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Time to vent. Laid off from two jobs toward the end of Jan. I fill out my unemployment claim for those weeks before I got laid off (my hours had been cut and I wasn't making much) . I checked that I had not been looking for work, as at that time I had two jobs which I expected to keep through the winter. So after waiting for a check for several weeks, I get a letter saying I had a scheduled phone interview at so and so time and date. After numerous attempts to call the unemployment offices, I send an e-mail and receive a response saying that because I had stated that I was not looking for work, the interview was needed to determine my eligibility. So fast forward to the day of the call. They give a two hour window for when you can expect the call. I was out on a backcountry tour, phone on and in pocket (very against my principles in the BC). It rings, I have it in my hands, and with my wet gloves I can't flip it open quick enough. The number is blocked, so I can't call it back. One call and that's it, no call back, just a message saying a decision will be made based on the info they have (which is pretty limited) and I'll find out by mail - in a few weeks. I've tried calling the unemployment offices well over 100 times in the past four days. I can't even get put on hold - just a recording saying the call volume is too much, try later, disconnected. My email request are on a page which asks how I would like to be contacted. I check phone every time, but haven't gotten a call yet, just some vaguely worded email that is not really specific to my case. So I've worked a total of one week since Feb. 1 and haven't gotten any check. Because I can't get through to anyone, I'm looking at several weeks of trading snail mail to resolve this. The system in CA sucks.

On the plus side, I've ridden a lot of pow the past few weeks, and knocked off quite a few lines that I've been looking at for a while. But I used to work mostly nights and got to ride M-F and actually have money. And it looks like my chances of finding work before summer are pretty slim.

OK, rant over - for now.

Uh, wow, not to be a dick, but that defines responsibility. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    So fast forward to the day of the call. They give a two hour window for when you can expect the call. I was out on a backcountry tour, phone on and in pocket (very against my principles in the BC). It rings, I have it in my hands, and with my wet gloves I can't flip it open quick enough. The number is blocked, so I can't call it back. One call and that's it, no call back, just a message saying a decision will be made based on the info they have (which is pretty limited) and I'll find out by mail - in a few weeks.

^^^Point taken, but it was either that or sit around with my thumb up my ass for two hours in the middle of the day while my buddies were out on a beautiful day riding pow on lines I've looked at for years. And I tried for most of two days to get through to reschedule or talk to a real person right then and there, but no go. The phone was in my hand on the first ring, just couldn't get a grip! But really, it's just BS that I had to do that to begin with, as the only reason I wasn't looking for work at the time is because I was working, and since I've been laid off, I've applied to several dozen places. Just for kicks, you should try walking into a business around here and ask for a job. Some of the reactions are priceless.

Well, I just got my notice of extended vacation today. Construction is coming to a screeching halt around here and it easily could be 2-3 months (or more?) before I get called back to work.

So, in the meantime I'll ski as much as I can, get caught up on all the shit that needs doing around here and take on whatever odd jobs and side projects I can get.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

planning Job for Divegirl

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    No job here...but I'm looking for a post-graduate internship or full time job (preferably) starting in July in regional planning, preferably for either a water district, parks and rec, bikeway/trails planning/management, or if I have to, for an architecture firm as a "green" planning consultant. If I'm really desperate, I'll work for an architect as a job captain or project designer. Any leads in CA or cool mountain-y places, let me know!
    Saw a planning opening on the California Parks and Rec website.

http://www.cprs.org/job/job_display.php?job_id=3386

Might be worth looking at.
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

^^^Point taken, but it was either that or sit around with my thumb up my ass for two hours in the middle of the day while my buddies were out on a beautiful day riding pow on lines I've looked at for years. And I tried for most of two days to get through to reschedule or talk to a real person right then and there, but no go. The phone was in my hand on the first ring, just couldn't get a grip! But really, it's just BS that I had to do that to begin with, as the only reason I wasn't looking for work at the time is because I was working, and since I've been laid off, I've applied to several dozen places. Just for kicks, you should try walking into a business around here and ask for a job. Some of the reactions are priceless.
    You are a fucking retard, no sympathy here. With that being said, I am waiting for my call today, between 1-3 p.m. pacific time from CA uneployment, and I have been laid off for 2 months.
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

Thumbs down

You sound like the kind of 22 yo dirtbag loser I had to deal with when I lived in the mountains. Way to go. Did you really think it was going to be easy? Considering the California budget crisis, I'm not surprised they are weeding out idiots like you. Good luck!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telechuck View Post
    Uh, wow, not to be a dick, but that defines responsibility. Good luck.
    an operation without redundancy defines stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by H0G View Post
    i got the cut this summer and again last monday. fun stuff.
    update.... i took ur job

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104259

Quote Originally Posted by samthaman View Post
    nothing but digging ditches or washing dishes in this town. anyone got any ideas that don't involve moving to a city or a 9-5 in a cube?
    Can you double-shift by washing dishes in a ditch?

Well, shit, I didn't think I was the only one here with a pow addiction that controls my life. Yeah, I could live somewhere shitty like San Clemente and work a real job and have a nice car to sit in traffic for a few hours a day and deal with suburban douchebags all the time, but that's a pretty lame lifestyle in my opinion. I live in Tahoe. I moved here because riding my snowboard and making an escape from civilization by hanging out in the forest all day brings me happiness. I'd rather be the poorest person here than the wealthiest person in some shitty place. The resort economies are the first to take a hit, and the fact of the matter is there is no work to be had until summer. I'm not abusing the system, just trying to survive, go to school, and set myself up with a better situation ASAP. I had a well-paying, steady job that I gave up because my boss was a coke fiend and couldn't handle his shit. I lost my recent job because I was the low man on the totem pole. I knew the call was coming that day, planned a tour where I'd be in cel range, and, well, shit happens. I posted here to vent a little bit, certainly not looking for sympathy, but I don't need any shit from people that don't really know me - and if you rode what I did that day, you'd understand.

Well, shit, I didn't think I was the only one here with a pow addiction that controls my life. Yeah, I could live somewhere shitty like San Clemente and work a real job and have a nice car to sit in traffic for a few hours a day and deal with suburban douchebags all the time, but that's a pretty lame lifestyle in my opinion. I live in Tahoe. I moved here because riding my snowboard and making an escape from civilization by hanging out in the forest all day brings me happiness. I'd rather be the poorest person here than the wealthiest person in some shitty place. The resort economies are the first to take a hit, and the fact of the matter is there is no work to be had until summer. I'm not abusing the system, just trying to survive, go to school, and set myself up with a better situation ASAP. I had a well-paying, steady job that I gave up because my boss was a coke fiend and couldn't handle his shit. I lost my recent job because I was the low man on the totem pole. I knew the call was coming that day, planned a tour where I'd be in cel range, and, well, shit happens. I posted here to vent a little bit, certainly not looking for sympathy, but I don't need any shit from people that don't really know me - and if you rode what I did that day, you'd understand.
    Don't worry, some day you'll grow up.

^^^ or sell out.
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole
    one and prayed for forgiveness." Emo Phillips

Today i joined the many unemployed, as i got laid off from my job this morning.

Anyone need a mechanical engineer with 3 years experience as a field engineer in the oil field, that includes management experience, responsibility for the safe usage and storage of explosives and radiation, in charge of high pressure operations, and also responsible for millions in equipment and people?

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post

Anyone need a mechanical engineer with 3 years experience as a field engineer in the oil field, that includes management experience, responsibility for the safe usage and storage of explosives and radiation, in charge of high pressure operations, and also responsible for millions in equipment and people?
    check out chevron in san ramon, ca. 2.5 from tahoe. They always hiring all types of engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksyrium View Post

Give a shout to Williston, ND as we are still staying fairly busy up here. A lot of operators shut down completion ops this past winter because of the weather, so this summer is going to gear up decently for frac work. Hopefully the rig count won't drop any more with oil rebounding a little bit.

By your job description, it sounds like you were working for a service company. SLB, BJ, and Sanjel have cut way back, Pumpco shut down their yard construction in Minot, HES has scaled back a little bit, and Superior now has a yard and is trying to bring in a fleet and lowball the market to get some work. As everyone has been strapped for experienced field engineers, give either red or blue a call and you might hit on a good lead. If you can handle living in North Dakota...

The system in CA sucks.
    I can agree, to an extent, with that part. They are under funded and and with the unemployment rate soaring, under staffed.

On the plus side - stick with it and eventually you will get your money. You can re-submit your original claim and just start from the beginning again.

It sucks - but you can't miss that phone call. They had my number wrong, and it was so fucking hard trying to get i touch. Try calling first thing in the morning, just before they open - like at 7:55.

Lots of unemployed in CA. Or break something and move to 'disability' - much easier to work with.

I = fUnemployed. Time to go back to school in stead of bouncing from shitty retail job to shitty retail job. Potentially incoming to Missoula! Those of you that saw my other thread about moving to BUTTe, it's probably out.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I can agree, to an extent, with that part. They are under funded and and with the unemployment rate soaring, under staffed.

On the plus side - stick with it and eventually you will get your money. You can re-submit your original claim and just start from the beginning again.

It sucks - but you can't miss that phone call. They had my number wrong, and it was so fucking hard trying to get i touch. Try calling first thing in the morning, just before they open - like at 7:55.

Lots of unemployed in CA. Or break something and move to 'disability' - much easier to work with.
    I was sitting around all day waiting for their phone call and it never came . I was thinking WTF? That was last Tuesday. My first check showed up today. The new claim form says to mail it in on the 29th. Impossible, today is the 30th! I think they are a little stretched at the EDD.

I kinda figured getting work would be impossible until summer, so I had planned on doing a ton a backcountry riding this spring. Somehow I found work, and it could potentially wind up being a better paying gig than any I've had before. I'll be in school for a few months, too. So I guess I'll only be riding a few days a week. I don't know if I've ever looked forward to working so much.

Adding my name to the list, definitely not happy to though.

To day was my D day, at least tomorrow looks like it going to be a great powder day!

damn CG, sorry to hear that.... i hope you are out enjoying the pow pow...
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

Dammit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barney View Post
    Saw a planning opening on the California Parks and Rec website.

http://www.cprs.org/job/job_display.php?job_id=3386

Might be worth looking at.
    I'm so pissed at myself. I saw this job about 2 weeks ago thinking I still had time to apply and totally missed it. Too busy studying for comps and volunteering, taking 4 classes, etc. I did apply for another open space position in the south bay region; we'll see how that goes. I also applied for 6 other jobs through Calopps.org and already received a call for one job interview for the City of Foster City.

barney - thanks for the heads up.
    bc-lovah

Good luck finding the job. I think we used to be neighbors in Oly heights.
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

barney - thanks. You're right - we used to live in the west half of Pastore's place on the corner. I hope you're not in the building industry - ? I hear it's not looking good at all right now...(especially in Truckee)
    Last edited by divegirl; 04-05-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    bc-lovah