View Poll Results: What to Do W/ The BCS?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Scarp It and Go Back to Old System

2 2.50%
  • Scrap It and Go to 8 Team Playoff

32 40.00%
  • Scrap It and Go To 16 Team Playoff

30 37.50%
  • Don't Give a Fuck

7 8.75%
  • Brett Loves His Dildo

9 11.25%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The BCS Sucks

saw this 12 team playoff posted on another forum and liked it (other than the bama win assumption)

12 team playoff, 6 bcs conf champs get auto-bid, non bcs schools (including ND) get aut-bid if top ten. Remaining slots filled up by top BCS ranked teams. Seeded based on BCS rank.

every (major) conference guaranteed at least 1 entrant.
    All non BCS schools actually have a chance for the title, instead of a consolation BCS game

no one with a legit reason gets left out.
    Auto bids (assuming higher ranked team wins champ)
    Big East: #13 Cincinnati
    Big Televen: # 8 Penn St.
    Big 12: #2 OU
    SEC: #1 Bama
    ACC: #17 Boston College
    Pac 10: #5 USC

Then you give #6 Utah and #9 Boise St. bids (they're top ten), now you only have 4 more at large spots:
    #3 tu
    #4 Florida (they wouldn't drop hardly)
    # 7 Tech
    #10 tOSU

Seeds:
    1 Bama
    2 OU
    3 tu
    4 USC (assumes Florida drops to 5 after bama loss)
    5 Florida
    6 Utah
    7 Tech
    8 Penn St.
    9 Boise St.
    10 tOSU
    11 Cincy
    12 Boston College

Bama, OU, tu, and USC would get byes

bracket:
    Bama
    Penn St./Boise St. winner

USC
    Florida/BC winner

OU
    tech/tOSU winner

tu
    Utah/Cincy winner

Don't tell me that so and so doesn't deserve to be in it. Tell me what team would get screwed over, or why this fails.

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    Yes a playoff would be nice but it doesn't matter until the BCS fails and if anyone can show me what year the BCS didn't clearly choose a national champion, I'd like to see it.
    2004! Auburn undefeated SEC team.

or 2003 USC, (but that one was just another BCS screwup)

Undefeated in a major conference and not at least Co-champs is an utter failure.
    Last edited by Razorslug; 12-01-2008 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenplake View Post
    UF is unstoppable right now, even with Harvin injured.

I saw Urban on my way to class today. He said Harvin is fine and will kick ass.

UF is gonna kill Bama and should go on DESTROY everyone else.
    Sexual climax lasts mere moments; but Deep Powder is extended Nirvana.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxsnowskisquatch View Post
    I saw Urban on my way to class today. He said Harvin is fine and will kick ass.

UF is gonna kill Bama and should go on DESTROY everyone else.
    Urban's gonna be at Notre Dame next year it sounds like. So enjoy it now.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

doubt it. Why would he want to walk into that shit hole, even if they offered him a lot of money?
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

Because they're Notre Dame. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSearchingforPowder View Post
    doubt it. Why would he want to walk into that shit hole, even if they offered him a lot of money?
    Yes, other than money and prestige? He went to a Catholic high school in the midwest and was an assistant at ND for five years. But he's under contract with the Gators through 2012 and had ample opportunity to take the ND job when he signed his current contract with Florida, so I doubt it'll happen.

The problem with the BCS is that it isn't about football, it's about money. That's why Ohio State gets the at-large this year at #10 instead of Boise State at #9. The Humanitarian Bowl (played in Boise) is trying to pair up Boise State and Ball State (The battle of the undefeated BSUs). Why? Because if Boise State goes to another bowl, they only sell 22,000 tickets instead of 30,000 if BSU plays at home. It's all about money, BCS or non-BCS.

FWIW - BSU vs. Penn St would be an interesting match-up.
    Shut your eyes and think of somewhere. Somewhere cold and caked with snow.

Ccard- I don't see how that formula wouldn't work. If it's all about money - well there's plenty of money in that playoff. PLUS how much more money is there out there to be made off of the cinderella upset...imagine Boise state beating juggernaut Florida for the title...that would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Easy solution is a playoff (at least 10 teams but no more than 16).
    How do you run a 10 team playoff? Do you give the top teams buys? I think 8 is fair, quick and simple. How many teams outside of the top 8 are deserving of a national title shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim J View Post
    How do you run a 10 team playoff? Do you give the top teams buys? I think 8 is fair, quick and simple. How many teams outside of the top 8 are deserving of a national title shot?
    Very few, if any.

I voted for 16 just because I'd get to watch more football. Kind of a no-brainer for any football fan, right?
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    ...those piece of crap big east teams have won the last three or so BCS bowls they've been in, so fuck off.
    The top Big east team is Cincinnatti....#13. Think they could beat Boise?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    Yes a playoff would be nice but it doesn't matter until the BCS fails and if anyone can show me what year the BCS didn't clearly choose a national champion, I'd like to see it.
    2004. Go look it up. 3 undeafeated MAJOR CONFERENCE teams at the end of the season - USC, OK, Auburn. USC defeats OK, Auburn wins Sugar bowl and remians undefeated. USC get championship. That is not a clear champion with 2 big conference schools undefeated at the end of the season.

the thing that hurt auburn here is the pre-season rankings. the pre-season rankings weigh too much of a factor in the BCS forumla; and what most of th etime they are retarded rankings anyway.

for example Ohio State is always ranked high in the pre-season polls, and then they play a team outside of the Big 10 and get emabarassed on national TV.
    1 WIDE Ski
    'and don't worry its clean, because I never get laid anyways.' - leroy jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    the thing that hurt auburn here is the pre-season rankings. the pre-season rankings weigh too much of a factor in the BCS forumla; and what most of th etime they are retarded rankings anyway.
    Playing OOC games against Louisiana-Monroe, The Citadal and Louisiana Tech couldn't have had anything to do with this, now could it?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Indulge my little daydream of sticking a thumb in Urban's eye . . . .

Utah plays Florida and wins!!!
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Playing OOC games against Louisiana-Monroe, The Citadal and Louisiana Tech couldn't have had anything to do with this, now could it?
    as opposed to playing in conference games against Washington, Washington State, Standford, UCLA, and Oregon State? And OOC games against Notre Dame and Colorado State...Yeah, tough line up there. With that schudule is there a ranking higher then #1 you can give a team pre-season?
    1 WIDE Ski

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by CUBUCK View Post
    Curious who USC has beaten that you would consider them a top two team? Beating up on Washington, Washington State is hardly impressive.
    just sayin
    Heyyyy take it easy on Wazzu. WSU's winning percentage is way higher than the UW's

That being said, if USC is so mediocre, where does that land Ohio State in your opinion? #20-25?
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    as opposed to playing in conference games against Washington, Washington State, Standford, UCLA, and Oregon State? And OOC games against Notre Dame and Colorado State...Yeah, tough line up there. With that schudule is there a ranking higher then #1 you can give a team pre-season?
    No team can control their conference schedule. Why do you bring up conference games? I didn't mention Old Miss, Vanderbilt or other crappy SEC squads that Auburn may have played that year.

I'm strictly talking OOC.

Teams that schedule FCS schools, or very low tier FBS, can forfeit any claim to a championship when there are other contenders who have a history of scheduling worthy competition.

And suppose that Auburn had played SC in the 05 BCS game instead of Oklahoma. Exactly what would they have done differently in that game to keep from losing like they did to the Trojans in 02 and 03?
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

[Lumpy man-love]And in 04, Washington St. was coming off of consecutive 10-win seasons and a BCS appearance![/Lumpy man-love]
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

No team can control their conference schedule. Why do you bring up conference games? I didn't mention Old Miss, Vanderbilt or other crappy SEC squads that Auburn may have played that year.

Teams that schedule FCS schools, or very low tier FBS, can forfeit any claim to a championship when there are other contenders who have a history of scheduling worthy competition.

And suppose that Auburn had played SC in the 05 BCS game instead of Oklahoma. Exactly what would they have done differently in that game to keep from losing like they did to the Trojans in 02 and 03?
    I don't know what would have happened in an USC-Auburn game. Gonehuckin said if anyone can show me what year the BCS didn't clearly choose a national champion, I'd like to see it; so i showed an example.

The SEC conference games are much tougher then PAC-10 games. I know you can't control your conference, but i was raising the issue of 'strength-of-conference' (and in that conference you can only mention Ole' Miss and Vandy as crap teams, unlike the Pac-10 which is almost crap up and down the list.) So then just refer to my OCC games USC played. Weak sauce; no doubt about it.

I live in CA but grew up in Miami, went to Florida, am engaged to a Trojan (who grew up in Kansas so I watch the big-12 games every week), have 2 best buddies (Michigan and Oregon), grew up watching Big-10 football (mom and dad went to Illinois), and I watch Pac-10 games every week (location.) So I have a pretty good understanding of the conferences. I love college football.

One interesting solution I heard about the BCS would be to do a re-ranking after the BCS bowl games, and let #1 play #2 for the championship. it would kind of use the BCS bowls as a playoff, but keep the tradition of the bowl games (not the sponsors, but the actual bowl games) alive. I like this option.
    1 WIDE Ski

16 is best because then you get every conference champ. + some at large teams. sure some huge potential underdogs but the 15/2 and 16/1 games in hoops are still interesting, and even sometimes turn into great games. while there will probably be some bitching about which at larges don't make it, you have really no grounds to complain about being left out of a tourney if you don't win your conference.

i'm really annoyed at the idea of texas playing for the championship

So you're saying that a team that goes undefeated after playing 5-6 top 25 teams in conference and 4 creampuffs OOC has no claim to a championship, while a team that plays in a crappy conference but schedules and beats 1-2 top 25 teams OOC does?

Strength of schedule is strength of schedule, it doesn't matter whether teams can control the games or not.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    The top Big east team is Cincinnatti....#13. Think they could beat Boise?
    Yep. They could. I'm not saying they would, but they certainly fucking could. Any given Saturday.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Quote Originally Posted by Ccard257 View Post
    So you're saying that a team that goes undefeated after playing 5-6 top 25 teams in conference and 4 creampuffs OOC has no claim to a championship, while a team that plays in a crappy conference but schedules and beats 1-2 top 25 teams OOC does?
    Nice counter, however, most SEC schools schedule like Auburn. It's easy for a team to be ranked when they schedule 3-4 guaranteed wins and then play at least a couple of weak teams in-conference. There's 4-6, or 5-7 wins right there. Split the rest of your games and you're ranked. I like to look at what a given team can control, it's OOC line up.

I just happen to have more respect for programs that don't schedule the likes of Coast Guard Academy, Central Carolina St. and Sisters of Mercy U.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    Yep. They could. I'm not saying they would, but they certainly fucking could. Any given Saturday.

Hypothetical bet, straight up...who do you take?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.