Anybody ski the karhu storm yet?

I was bending these in the shop today- not the BC, the regular ones. Looks like a nice kind of old schoolish ski, nice flex pattern, nice dimensions. Search on here yielded limited info. I'm thinking could be nice for resort/side-country with a duke/baron? Yes? No? Maybe?

Ya, thanks, I saw 3pins comments when I searched. I'm still wondering if anyone else has skied them. Looked nice in the shop, 96mm underfoot, 32mm sidecut, medium flex, stiffer tail, feels like it would ski like a fat gs ski, maybe lp-esque but more sidecut so turnier? Hard to know.

Quote Originally Posted by srsosbso View Post
    lp-esque
    Never heard that term used for a karhu before
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

I have not been on them, but Backcountry Mag gear guide had really good things to say about them. Soft tip/ Stiff tail- pretty much in line with what you already heard.

I would like to see Karhu make a ~110-120 waisted ski.
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by srsosbso View Post
    Ya, thanks, I saw 3pins comments when I searched. I'm still wondering if anyone else has skied them. Looked nice in the shop, 96mm underfoot, 32mm sidecut, medium flex, stiffer tail, feels like it would ski like a fat gs ski, maybe lp-esque but more sidecut so turnier? Hard to know.
    Can't compare it directly to the LP, since I haven't skied that, but I've spent a season on the Storm. For me (aggressive tele skier who likes a lot of alpine crossover skis) it's the perfect day-to-day rig. My previous favorite for that role was the original Mantra, and I like the Storm better. Similar characteristics, but a little less turny. I think your fat gs ski is a pretty apt description, with great edgehold, especially in med/long turns. It rewards aggressive skiing, but is still approachable and easy to ski at slower speeds.

That was the only ski I brought to Whitewater last year for the Cold Smoke Fest (in less than cold smoke conditions), and I was really happy with it for inbounds and touring from the resort. Paired with a Duke/Baron for resort/sidecountry, I think you'd be pretty well set for day-to-day.

I don't think you'll find many reviews of the Storm yet outside of our athletes, but the magazine reviews were all great (Backcountry Editor's Choice, Skiing, Outside, Powder, Off-Piste). Here's the Backcountry Editor's Choice review:

This Storm didn’t leave any destruction in its wake—just impressed testers. “A smooth ride,” said one. “Give these babies an aggressive skier and they’ll give the sugar.”

With a robust Macroblock core, in which strips of maple and aspen are laminated in parallel, and Karhu’s visible Titanal 3 metal construction technology, the Storm scored highest in dampness, long turns, and busting-through-tough-snow aptitude. “Easy turn initiation with a smooth, buttery pop to the turns,” said one Green Mountain transplant. “A great all-around powder touring ski,” said another, “awesome at high speeds, and also at slower speed, short turns.”

Some skiers found the Storm a bit much in tight quarters, “Not great in tight trees,” said one. Another found the flex unusual, “Soft shovel and stiff tail made for a tough balance.” But consider this from a young tele-tester: “The stiff tail is great for snapping out of turns."

I agree with the stiff tail/softer tip assessment, but I've personally never found the tip too soft or lacking.

mn_teleskier - I hear ya... if I had a ~115-120 waist ski like the Storm, that would be the only two tele skis I'd need.

Still looking for an East Coast touring/tree ski ~

I'm still looking for a touring and tree ski for the East Coast and this thread caught my eye. Are the non-BC versions still light enough for regular touring? How big a boot is needed to drive them (particularly the Storm)?

The 09 Janak Bro and the Coomba are 2 others I'd like to hear experiences on.

The sidecuts and weights for the Karhu and K2's can be found here:
    http://www.bentgate.com/skidiandwe.html

And the Janak Bro:
    http://www.telemarkski.com/atomic_sk...2_p11110.h tm

I thought the Line Prophet 100 was going to be it for me, but it's more ski than I care to drag around on tour. I'm after the float of a 90mm++ ski tho.

Will mount with Fritschi's and drive with a Garmont Adrenalin.

I can't help you out about the storms, as I ended up getting a pair of slightly used dps wailers- similiar dimensions, a little lighter, a bit stiffer, cheaper. I still think the storm looks like a great choice.

Can't help you with the skis you have listed below, but what about the G3 Reverend? 92 at the waist + a great ski. I tele on it and it is my favorite ski of all time.

FYI (you might already know this)- the Janak Bro has a serious twintip like the Prophet you do not like- so take that into consideration concerning what length/weight you choose. The Coomba on the other hand runs long (like most K2's)- it would be safe to say that the 181 Coomba has a longer running length than the 185 Prophet and fairly close to the 193 Janak Bro. Storm - I am lurking on the sidelines as it looks like a great ski for when my Reverends bite the dust.

PM 3 Pin about the Storm- even though he is affiliated with them, he will give an honest answer IMHO or stear you toward a different ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippocampus27 View Post
    I'm still looking for a touring and tree ski for the East Coast and this thread caught my eye. Are the non-BC versions still light enough for regular touring? How big a boot is needed to drive them (particularly the Storm)?

And the Janak Bro:

I thought the Line Prophet 100 was going to be it for me, but it's more ski than I care to drag around on tour. I'm after the float of a 90mm++ ski tho.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by mn_teleskier View Post
    The Coomba on the other hand runs long (like most K2's)- it would be safe to say that the 181 Coomba has a longer running length than the 185 Prophet and fairly close to the 193 Janak Bro. Storm - I am lurking on the sidelines as it looks like a great ski for when my Reverends bite the dust.
    I measured my 181 Coomba's the other day and got about 183cm tip to tail using a straight tape (not following contours of the ski). Also, the tail is totally flat so the running length is probably another few cm longer than an equivalent twin or partial twin. The definately ski long, but they're not difficult to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippocampus27 View Post

And the Janak Bro:

The non-BC Storm is definitely light enough for touring. Float's just as good as the Team/Prophet 100 in my opinion, but the weight's lighter. I don't have a weight on the Janak Bro, but our weights have the regular Storm just heavier than the Coomba and lighter than skis like the BD Verdict. The Bent Gate weights that you have there put the Storm lighter than both of those, as well as other comparable skis (Goliath Sluff, Mantra, El Hombre).

With the flat tail on the Storm it's much more tour-friendly than the Team/Prophet 100 (tip shape too), and it does run truer to length (longer). You'd be fine driving them with Fritschis and Adrenalins. I've seen them skied with Dynafits/Spirit 3s up to Dukes/Adrenalines, etc.