Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

(Not) Just Another Opening Weekend in Aspen

Forgive me if this gets a bit lengthy, but frankly, this is the only group of people that would understand what I want to say. While I only know a handful of the people on this forum personally (Nitro, I’m looking at you), I am certain there is a common bond that brought you all here in the first place.

Seven months ago, after a series of unexplained headaches, particularly when exerting myself at altitude, doctors found an aneurysm in my brain that was ready to rupture.

The diagnosis came as a huge surprise to both my wife and I, as I was very healthy and had previously undergone CT scans and an MRI that came back negative. To drive home the point of how little I expected anything dire, the week before the diagnosis I skied Hayden Peak with one of my idols, Lou Dawson, and the very morning I found out about the aneurysm I was exchanging PMs on this forum with Mike Cuseo, getting advice for the trip I had planned the next day to climb and ski Garretts Peak.

As you can imagine, those plans changed rather abruptly, and on May 9th I had eight hours of surgery to clip the aneurysm shut. I was only 32 at the time, and the surgery, for many reasons, scared the shit out of me.

First and foremost, I didn’t want to leave my wife a widow at 30 years old. She’s an angel, and the thought of causing her pain and suffering was overwhelming.

I was also terrified that the surgery would leave me incapacitated, as any brain surgery has a chance of doing.

Somewhere on that list, much higher than most people would think it should be, was the fear that I wouldn’t get back on skis. I’ve been in Aspen for two years now, and I’ve experienced two epic seasons that have allowed me to climb and ski many of the peaks on my mental checklist. In doing so, I found a love for the mountains that I always knew was in me, but didn’t have a chance to flourish until I arrived in town.

One’s recovery from brain surgery is a tremendous unknown in the medical world; best case scenario, you’re looking at a full year to completely heal, worst case scenario you don’t make it through the operation. I made it through, neurologically intact to boot, but the physical recovery has been a bitch. Things I once took for granted have laid me out over the last few months, only adding to my fear that skiing might not be in the cards this season.

And that is why today was a day six months in the making. To be back on skis, making turns on six inches of powder resting atop bare ground on Ajax, brought a happiness to me that only the people on this forum can possibly comprehend.

When you go through something like this, people expect you to wake up every day and simply be grateful to be alive. After all, if the aneurysm had ruptured, and it had plentiful opportunities to do so, there is a 70% chance I’d be gone.

But it’s not that easy. The past six months have been very difficult. There’s been pain, both physical and psychological, and tremendous fear of the future. I can promise you, I haven’t treated every day since the surgery as a gift, as much as I wish that weren’t true.

And that, as you probably already know, is why skiing is what it is to us. Back on skis, those few hours on the slopes of Ajax were the first moments since this all went down that I genuinely knew I would be OK. They were the first moments that I truly appreciated how beautiful it is to be alive, and I was overwhelmingly grateful to be given one more day in the mountains.

The purpose of this post is not for you to be happy for me. Instead, I ask that you appreciate how blessed we are to have something in our lives to bring us the kind of joy I experienced today, a joy I once feared could be lost forever. Nobody else will get it; people assume that it’s the big picture things that will make you appreciate life, like your loved ones.

Well let me tell you, when I look at my wife, while I’m eternally grateful that I didn’t leave her, I’m also scared to death that I won’t be around in fifty years to grow old with her. That type of conflict prevents you from reaching true appreciation.

No, you need something like skiing -- something where you don’t think, you merely do -- in order to truly cherish being alive.

So go out and ski, and enjoy it like someone who knows that life is precious, and can be stripped from you at any moment. Ski hard, make the acquaintance of the guy riding the lift with you, and grab a beer with a buddy at the end of the day.

And remember how magnificent it is to be alive and in the mountains.
    Last edited by Kenny Brockelstien; 11-28-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Well-written and Well-said, thanks for putting everything in perspective. See you on the slopes!
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

"you need something like skiing -- something where you don’t think, you merely do -- in order to truly cherish being alive.
    And remember how magnificent it is to be alive and in the mountains."

So true. Congrats on your recovery. That is a feat few can rival.

Glad you got in some fun turns. Congrats on a key Maggot Bonus Time Club membership milestone.

Thanks for this, and cheers.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Good post. Cheers and happy thanksgiving to you!

Very nice. Thank you!

Congrats! Here's to many more turns!
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

amen. thanks for sharing.

Awesome story. Glad you've made it back out!

Very thoughtful and much appreciated. Gave me chills!

Here's to many more powder turns, summits, and moments of fully experiencing aliveness

Awesome, best thing I've read here in a while.

Nicely written, and congrats on being back! Heres to a lifetime of pow turns!

WOW. Thank you so much for chipping away at the shell of "taking for granted" that each of us build. The perspective that can be gained through your post is beyond valuable. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Dude, well said. Cograts on getting through the challenging times and having the care to express your experience to us. Thanksgiving has various meanings to everyone, but it is no coincidence we generally start our season around the holiday. Every time I click in, I am grateful, for skiing, for life, for our mtns. We are fortunate.

Thanks for the perspective!

that's cool - hope to meet you this winter
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Chaos_69 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Brockelstien View Post
    Forgive me if this gets a bit lengthy, but frankly, this is the only group of people that would understand what I want to say. While I only know a handful of the people on this forum personally (Nitro, I’m looking at you), I am certain there is a common bond that brought you all here in the first place.

Seven months ago, after a series of unexplained headaches, particularly when exerting myself at altitude, doctors found an aneurysm in my brain that was ready to rupture.

The diagnosis came as a huge surprise to both my wife and I, as I was very healthy and had previously undergone CT scans and an MRI that came back negative. To drive home the point of how little I expected anything dire, the week before the diagnosis I skied Hayden Peak with one of my idols, Lou Dawson, and the very morning I found out about the aneurysm I was exchanging PMs on this forum with Mike Cuseo, getting advice for the trip I had planned the next day to climb and ski Garretts Peak.

As you can imagine, those plans changed rather abruptly, and on May 9th I had eight hours of surgery to clip the aneurysm shut. I was only 32 at the time, and the surgery, for many reasons, scared the shit out of me.

First and foremost, I didn’t want to leave my wife a widow at 30 years old. She’s an angel, and the thought of causing her pain and suffering was overwhelming.

I was also terrified that the surgery would leave me incapacitated, as any brain surgery has a chance of doing.

Somewhere on that list, much higher than most people would think it should be, was the fear that I wouldn’t get back on skis. I’ve been in Aspen for two years now, and I’ve experienced two epic seasons that have allowed me to climb and ski many of the peaks on my mental checklist. In doing so, I found a love for the mountains that I always knew was in me, but didn’t have a chance to flourish until I arrived in town.

One’s recovery from brain surgery is a tremendous unknown in the medical world; best case scenario, you’re looking at a full year to completely heal, worst case scenario you don’t make it through the operation. I made it through, neurologically intact to boot, but the physical recovery has been a bitch. Things I once took for granted have laid me out over the last few months, only adding to my fear that skiing might not be in the cards this season.

And that is why today was a day six months in the making. To be back on skis, making turns on six inches of powder resting atop bare ground on Ajax, brought a happiness to me that only the people on this forum can possibly comprehend.

When you go through something like this, people expect you to wake up every day and simply be grateful to be alive. After all, if the aneurysm had ruptured, and it had significant opportunities to do so, there is a 70% chance I’d be gone.

But it’s not that easy. The past six months have been very difficult. There’s been pain, both physical and psychological, and tremendous fear of the future. I can promise you, I haven’t treated every day since the surgery as a gift, as much as I wish that weren’t true.

And that, as you probably already know, is why skiing is what it is to us. Back on skis, those few hours on the slopes of Ajax were the first moments since this all went down that I genuinely knew I would be OK. They were the first moments that I truly appreciated how beautiful it is to be alive, and I was overwhelmingly grateful to be given one more day in the mountains.

The purpose of this post is not for you to be happy for me. Instead, I ask that you appreciate how blessed we are to have something in our lives to bring us the kind of joy I experienced today, a joy I once feared could be lost forever. Nobody else will get it; people assume that it’s the big picture things that will make you appreciate life, like your loved ones.

Well let me tell you, when I look at my wife, while I’m eternally grateful that I didn’t leave her, I’m also scared to death that I won’t be around in fifty years to grow old with her. That type of conflict prevents you from reaching true appreciation.

No, you need something like skiing -- something where you don’t think, you merely do -- in order to truly cherish being alive.

So go out and ski, and enjoy it like someone who knows that life is precious, and can be stripped from you at any moment. Ski hard, make the acquaintance of the guy riding the lift with you, and grab a beer with a buddy at the end of the day.

And remember how magnificent it is to be alive and in the mountains.
    Too long, didn't read.

That was awesome man.

Is it cool if I put that on my blog?

awesome. congrats on getting back on the mountain. as a cancer survivor I know what it's like. makes a powder day that much sweeter. but like you say, makes any day that much sweeter. it's hard to do sometimes, but shit like that is why you should live every day like it's a powder day because you never know what can happen and you probably won't have control over it when it does anyway. peace.

[QUOTE=Chaos_69;2120295]Too long, didn't read.[/QUOTE

Nobody gives a shit!

Congrats Kenny.
    Suck It!

That was a refreshing change of pace. Congratulations on your recovery and have a great season.
    I don't like being outdoors Smithers, for one thing, there's too many fat children.

- Mr. Burns

Great words - great read! I am officially done bitching about the snowpack we have right now!

Positive Vibes to you bud. I can only hope to have the perspective on life that you have now that you have dealt with this and come through it. I still bitch about stupid stuff that doesnt matter. Makes me feel a bit small sometimes. Good luck to you, have a rippin season.
    Born on a mountain, raised in a cave, f'ing and skiing are all that I crave (and mountain biking too)

I tried to share this very same feeling with a 9 year old kid on the lift yesterday, and he looked like maybe he was going to jump just to get away from me. When I asked if he would have a beer later, he cried.
    WTF.

You know I am kidding, thanks for the post, I blew out my collarbone last year and spent the year doing jack shit. After that injury, I decided that I my life is wasting away here in the midwest, and we are working on a plan to get out. Posts like your help remind us what's good in life.

Keep on skiing friend, thanks again.

Thumbs up

Awesome. Just cracked a PBR for that.
    Drive slow, homie.