11-26-2008, 09:15 AM #1
PSA: how to use tech talk effectively
1. it has been discussed almost assuredly before. so just search. its easy. GO HERE: http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=01...%3Agoe34wkkkv8 then enter what you need to know. if you find a thread with good info, bump it and keep it fresh. other people are probably wondering the same thing.
2. asking for blanket statements is not good. ask to compare/contrast models. in general, people offering their opinion are not helpful, but people contrasting models attributes are much more helpful.
3. don't tell us your PSIA level. i don't even know what it means.
4. be honest with yourself when looking at equipment. actually don't, it keeps gear swap fresh!
5. a warranty is a manufacturers defect. you wrecking your skis is your fault. a shop botching something is their fault, but it is also your fault for bringing it to a shitty shop.
6. use spell check. most browsers even highlight miss-spelled words for you. use proper diction and standard English language. g-speak is lame in person. its doubly stupid on the interwebz. unless you are skier666. that dude is a cold blooded killer.
Last edited by marshalolson; 12-01-2008 at 08:27 PM.
11-26-2008, 10:50 AM #2
11-26-2008, 10:51 AM #3
Jondrums, that link is pure gold...firstname.lastname@example.org DOWN SKIS
11-26-2008, 10:58 AM #4
11-26-2008, 12:06 PM #5
I've found ~99% of what I need in tech talk by searching/bumping preexisting threads.
Edit: Deleted and reposted, to move the search link up.
11-27-2008, 01:43 PM #6
Why does the tgr search option have a minimum character limit? I know the google/site-specific option works, but it took me quite awhile here before I figured that out. In the meantime, no end of frustration trying to search for "lp" and getting nowhere, or "legend pro" and getting the "pro" part left out of the search. Ironically enough, even "BRO" didn't fly. I think that leads to a lot of failed searches and pointless new threads. Why don't they just fix the in-house search?
11-27-2008, 01:59 PM #7
it is the search engine that in bundled into the forum hosting software. its not a matter of "fixing" it, its a matter of that is what is available.
11-27-2008, 03:07 PM #8
11-28-2008, 04:31 AM #9
Use Google's servers to perform searches instead of TGR's. Must preserve and protect TGR tech talk database.
Now if we could mount a campaign to purge tech talk of all the worthless posts...Hillshire Farm is sexy
Grab both cheeks and sink your teeth into the ass of life.
11-28-2008, 07:41 AM #10
Anybody know an easy way to sort google results by how recent they are?
In advanced you can go and just pull results from the past day, week, month, year...but that's a pain in the ass. How do I make it do that from my google search bar?
The only thing giving the internal search any kind of edge over google is that it sorts results by recent...ness.
11-28-2008, 08:50 AM #11
You can also sort (here) by specific forum, like techtalk or gearswap. Is there a way to do that on google?
11-28-2008, 06:36 PM #12
Gold... cheers M.O.
back to silently absorbing knowledge on the forum
11-28-2008, 09:10 PM #13
See post #9 in this thread (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=28985) for an example of good etiquette from a JONG who only joined last month, but knows how to use the search function and properly bump a thread.
11-29-2008, 08:15 PM #14
Amen brotha! However, I'm still wondering how that fucker got away with killing your site... What gives?
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM #15
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM #16
dude, that link is BALLER!
12-01-2008, 10:55 PM #17
12-03-2008, 03:56 PM #18
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM #19
12-08-2008, 04:23 AM #20Watch the seventh episode of
The Blurred Chronicles
The Blurred Chronicles on facebook
'Karma' is an Eastern religious concept which views all human dramas as the will of God as opposed to present - and past - life actions.
12-11-2008, 09:30 PM #21rain
- Join Date
- Dec 2005
- Republik Indonesia
^ Glad I'm not the only one that laughed.
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM #22
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM #23
Adding a * to short searchs and using the TGR search function is straight OG.
Play safe kids."You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit
"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."
01-28-2009, 08:55 AM #24
Concerning posting reviews to Tech Talk.
If you have a somewhat lengthy review of a particular piece of gear, is it better to find your favorite review of the same item, say a ski, and add your review, or post an entirely new one?
03-06-2009, 08:37 PM #25Registered User
- Join Date
- Mar 2009
That is one cool projection clock!
This clock projects the time, date, or temp on the wall or ceiling http://www.liangdianup.com/clocks_1.htm some people call
it a ceiling clock but I call it a digital projection clock. I got the black one because at the time that was the only color
they had. But now they have them in black and also in white.