Thread: Stones fans...

Stones fans...

They just put out some coffee table thing that is an "oral history", "written" by them (Bill Wyman wasn't invited!!). Here's a real interesting tidbit that was excerpted in the NYTBR today:

"Jagger, who became hooked on applause at the age of 4 when he performed ''Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered'' at a Christmas gathering, does not hesitate to discuss the band's failures. For example, even though ''Exile on Main Street,'' released in 1972, is viewed by many critics as the band's greatest record, Jagger dislikes it.

''When I listen to 'Exile,' '' he explains, ''it has some of the worst mixes I've ever heard. I'd love to remix the record, not just because of the vocals, but because generally I think it sounds lousy. . . . 'Exile' is really a mixture of bits and pieces left over from the previous album. . . . Those were mixed up with a few slightly more grungy things done in the south of France. It's seen as one album all recorded there and it really wasn't. We just chucked everything in. As long as people like the album, that's fine. It's just that I don't particularly think it's a great album.''"

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! DO NOT LET MICK TOUCH THE MIXING BOARD!!!

The Stones are my favorite band. Always have been, always will be. But somebody needs to tell Mick to tone down that ego a few thousand notches. If you've ever heard any of his solo albums, you'd realize that allowing him to mess with Exile would be a really, really, really bad idea. I've never seen someone put out swill more consistently than Mick Jagger. His solo stuff is simply atrocious. And it can be argued that the recent Stones stuff is his fault too.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Originally posted by Arty50
    I've never seen someone put out swill more consistently than Mick Jagger.
    Oh, yes you have - his name is Paul McCartney.

I actually like "Wandering Spirit". or whatever it's called...The Mick solo album with "Don't Tear Me Up" on it, if only for that tune. I think that's as good a song as the Stones have released in the last 20 years. Of course, that may be moe indicative of the fact that they should have hung it up a while ago...

That being said, if he thinks that he can improve on Exile, I think that by all means he should try. Because if that album can get any better, then damnnnnn.......

I'm not a classic rocker type dood- not at all. But when you're in the presence of genius, you GOTTA bow down. And that's what Exile is for me. Un-Fuck-Withable.

"Ventilator Blues."
    "Lovin' Cup."
    "Tumblin' Dice."
    "Torn and Frayed."
    "Just Want to See His Face."

I mean, come on.

The Stones is one of the best band.Wandering Spirit is one of the best album from it.His solo stuff is simply atrocious. And we can say that the recent Stones thing is his fault too.

I completely agree with Mick. Out of the 18 songs, on Exile, I actually like 4-5 (although Sweet Virginia is one of my all-time favs.) . To me, Sticky Fingers is the bans best, followed by Let it Bleed.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Mick has a point. I've got a pretty high-rez system (EOMS is playing now) and the mixes are kind of sloppy. You can hear -- and I kind of like -- the raw sound. But a well done remastering/remix could be cool. How about "Exile Stripped"?
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

The "slop" is what makes that album great. The blues and blues based rock are all about a filthy band fucked up on god knows what up on a stage in a club with smoke so thick you can barely see through it pouring their heart and soul and imperfections out on the stage. The Stones of that era had that in spades, and that's exactly what made them great. If you take that in a studio and "clean it up," you're neutering that intangible quality that grabs your soul by its throat and rips it out of your chest.

That dirty sound is what so many bands lack today, and it's why you get threads like this:
    [ame=http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152960]Is there such a thing as good solid ROCK anymore? Gimme your suggestions[/ame]

The old Stones were just downright filthy. And that's why I love them.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Speaking of studio recordings, I was just reminded of something...

If you can get your hands on the Black Box, please do so.

Mods should tuck this thread away for another 7 years and see if anyone's opinion changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    And it can be argued that the recent Stones stuff is his fault too.
    Only because Keith doesn't have it anymore. Which is the biggest bummer of what the Stones have become.

Keith was always the soul of the band (after Brian Jones died).

Mick was always just a front man with big lips and a bigger ego (still loved his singing though on those early Stones albums).
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Keith was always the soul of the band (after Brian Jones died).

Mick was always just a front man with big lips and a bigger ego (still loved his singing though on those early Stones albums).
    You should read Keef's book.

Interesting stuff about the evolution of their whole dynamic. Not just the headline making stuff about him and Jagger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    You should read Keef's book.

Interesting stuff about the evolution of their whole dynamic. Not just the headline making stuff about him and Jagger.
    Haven't read his, but I did read one back in the early 80's. Pretty good read. Seemed to be more about the cultural lifestyle stuff than the in depth how the music was made stuff.

Mick was the smart/promoter one, London school of economics student wasn't he ??
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Only because Keith doesn't have it anymore. Which is the biggest bummer of what the Stones have become.
    None of them have it anymore (with the possible exception of Charlie), but that doesn't excuse all of what happened since Taylor left.

Case in point, go listen to Main Offender circa 1992. Keith and his band, the Expensive Whinos, put together an awesome album and were even better live. I saw them at the Universal Ampitheater when they toured in support of the album and they kicked ass.

you guys should check out the cover by The Gaslight Anthem, they did "Tumblin' Dice." it sounds amazing.