Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aspen Mags!

Aspen Mags!

With Aspen opening for business on Thanksgiving day, is anyone around to skin up Ajax tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and make some turns before the onslaught of crowds shows up the next day? I've got the whole day off and would really like to get out.

I can't make it, but skinning up Snowmass was fun last night. Be careful of the snowmakers on their sleds.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

If you do go, post a report. I'd like to know how thin it is?

Usually Back of Bell, Sieberts or North Star will have the best snow this early.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    If you do go, post a report. I'd like to know how thin it is?

Usually Back of Bell, Sieberts or North Star will have the best snow this early.
    I'm gonna say none of those have good snow on them right now. We've had two storms this year and the last one was over two warm weeks ago.

Isn't tomorrow an AVSC day?

I would wait until Thurs. You won't be missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post

I would wait until Thurs. You won't be missing anything.
    I'd generally concur, other than the crowds

Haven't been in town for a few days, are the WCers still training on the mountain?

Might be able to skin up and ski back towards 1A, albeit just a groomer. From what I've heard we need over a foot to get a few more things open.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Haven't heard anything about the AVSC being up there. And yeah, pretty much the only reason I'm heading up is to avoid the crowds and see what the snow is like up top. The WC women were on course last Friday. I don't think they're allowed on course starting a week before the race.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I can't make it, but skinning up Snowmass was fun last night. Be careful of the snowmakers on their sleds.
    Look out for the uncovered Snowmaking trenches as well. That was a close one last night.

Wednesday is usually AVSC day, so unless they changed it this year you won't have the place to yourself and they also might have uphill rules in effect because of it.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I'm gonna say none of those have good snow on them right now. We've had two storms this year and the last one was over two warm weeks ago.
    Ouch! So what will be open? Ajax Express or just Nells?

I am drinking cocktails at the Sky Hotel at the moment and wishing I woulda brought my road bike.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Should be Ajax Express...Little Nell still looks like it needs a few days of snowmaking, so top to bottom could be a few more days.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    I am drinking cocktails at the Sky Hotel at the moment and wishing I woulda brought my road bike.
    Really? In the bar? odd....

If it snows will Ajax or Snowmass be able to drop ropes quicker? Flying back from Sunday so I'm hoping it snows a bunch Saturday and Sunday so they start dropping ropes MONDAY

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    If it snows will Ajax or Snowmass be able to drop ropes quicker? Flying back from Sunday so I'm hoping it snows a bunch Saturday and Sunday so they start dropping ropes MONDAY
    Don't get your hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    Yeah not likely, unfortunately. There's some snow in the forecast for the weekend, but not nearly enough to start dropping ropes

I was talking to Greg H today, rumor is just lift 4 and 5. Nothing at the top.

and I was told today that no employee passes on Ajax. Only Slowmass
    Last edited by Lloyd Braun; 11-25-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I was talking to Greg H today, rumor is just lift 4 and 5. Nothing at the top.
    4 and 5? Which are those? Newspaper says Gondie and Ajax with the same trails as last year.

4 and 5? Which are those? Newspaper says Gondie and Ajax with the same trails as last year.
    4-Little Nell
    5-Bell.

Didn't see that in the paper, but that would be better. They are really trying to get the Nell open so the 4-5 thing would make sense. If they get the top open then I would expect top to bottom through spar, but again who knows. You going up thursday Funken?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    4-Little Nell
    5-Bell.

Didn't see that in the paper, but that would be better. They are really trying to get the Nell open so the 4-5 thing would make sense. If they get the top open then I would expect top to bottom through spar, but again who knows. You going up thursday Funken?
    www.aspentimes.com. I think they'll be pretty close to opening Spar and Nell by the weekend (hopefully). And hell yes I'll be there, probably on Praxis.

Really? In the bar? odd....
    Nah, the bar is closed so I am self-serving. The jacuzzi is open for business, however!

someone did say they were going to try and open the mountain top to bottom, so who knows? Think I'll skin up behind Ashcroft and dig some holes in my skis.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    Nah, the bar is closed so I am self-serving. The jacuzzi is open for business, however!
    Ha I know. Stop by the desk tomorrow night.

www.aspentimes.com. I think they'll be pretty close to opening Spar and Nell by the weekend (hopefully). And hell yes I'll be there, probably on Praxis.
    I can hear the guns going now, I'll be up there on my Made Ns

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNowWorkLater View Post
    With Aspen opening for business on Thanksgiving day, is anyone around to skin up Ajax tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and make some turns before the onslaught of crowds shows up the next day? I've got the whole day off and would really like to get out.
    You should have it pretty much to yourself, here's the update from AVSC:

AVSC Ski and Snowboard Day Cancelled

While snow is in the forecast, it will not arrive in time for AVSC's Ski and Snowboard Day. Aspen Skiing Company has limited natural snow on their runs and are saving it for opening day, Thanksgiving. We appreciate Aspen Skiing Company making the day available to AVSC in past years and wish them all the best for their official opening on Thursday, November 27th. Thanks to all the winter sports enthusiasts looking forward to joining us. Here's hoping Mother Nature blesses us with more white stuff later this week!

I'll be around town on the Mtn Bike - vintage Kona on Wednesday
    "One Dollar, cheaper than a lift ticket and it lasts forever" Powder Winter 72-73 Issue #1

I have what they are opening on another computer.... slowmass is opening about twice as much acreage as Aspen. The models aren't predicting too much snow until the 4th either...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

OK... didn't quite make it onto the mountain this morning. The snow guns were going full blast when I got up though.

That being said, who's going to be out for opening day? I'd like to get out for a few laps in the morning before putting on my fat jeans and stuffing myself with turkey.

I'll be out in a yellow arc'teryx jacket and k2 Coombas with Fritchis.
    Last edited by SkiNowWorkLater; 11-26-2008 at 03:17 PM.