Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi

It's official... I'm moving to SLC...

...and I'll be working in our West Jordan office. The girlfriend will be working at Alta and going to the U. I'd prefer to live in an area with access to LCC/BCC; LCC being the higher priority.

Question: Would living in West Jordan be a poor option? I was thinking Sandy or Cottonwood Heights would be better... The logic behind that is the thought that being closer to recreation/further from work is a better option than closer to work/further from recreation.

I know there have been threads on this subject before, but I thought I'd dig further. I'm planning on deleting this selfish thread after I extract some thoughts.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by ruletherock View Post
    The logic behind that is the thought that being closer to recreation/further from work is a better option than closer to work/further from recreation...
    Umm... duh?

being closer to recreation/further from work is a better option than closer to work/further from recreation.
    Definitely true. Being closer to the fun stuff means that you will take advantage of it more often. I have a nice work commute (by LA standards), but end up bailing on surf plans pretty often because the break's just a little too far away to be convenient*. If my work commute sucked, on the other hand, I would still go every day. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "[w]hen the stuff you actually want to do is ultimately within your own discretion, arrange things so that you will exercise that discretion in favor of funhoggery."

*Especially when you're hung over as fuck.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 11-24-2008 at 02:09 PM.

I'd say yeah to Cottonwood heights and or Sandy.

Im biased though. Sfotex and Skifishbum both live in Sandy, and sfotex is literally like 3 blocks away from me. Close Close to LCC...

Good luck and let us all know when you hit town.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    As Abraham Lincoln once said, "[w]hen the stuff you actually want to do is ultimately within your own discretion, arrange things so that you will exercise that discretion in favor of funhoggery."

*Especially when you're hung over as fuck.
    did he really say that?

I'm not sure if the area we just signed a lease for is good for our comutes or not (we will find out tomorrow) but I do know that we are across the street from one of the best gay-cruising parks in the city! YES!

The best part is that you won't be more than 3 blocks from your church no matter where you live. You should infiltrate the church and gain access to the mormon mine shafts.

I live in West Jordan.
    I don't mind living there.
    I commute to South Draper.
    I commute to Solitude.
    Both commutes are the same time wise.

If I lived in Sandy, both commutes would still be about the same, but I would be closer to the mtns and work.

With that said, I would like to be closer to the mountains, but who wouldn't.

FYI, there are some damn cheap nice houses in W. Jordan right now.
    I am of no help, huh.

So what office you workin at? Could stop over for beers after work.

As a bonus of living in West Jordan is you get to have Chris Buttars represent you. What a guy.
    sigless.

yeah...buttars. what a giant supertwat of a man

your 3 locations are at opposite ends of the valley so this is a tough one...

I think you'd need to look at schedules to really optimize this because if one of the commutes is getting used more than the others or during rush hour or whatever that would be a factor...

My first rough guess at the best spot for your 3 targets....

40 37.826n, 111 54.439w (plug that into google earth)
    it's off winchester with access to I-15 and 215 for GF and relatively close to WJ for you via city streets.

40 42.961n, 111 52.231w
    10 minutes to the U via: 1) I-80 to foothill or 2) 7th to 4th or whatever...
    45 mins to Alta
    +-20 minutes to WJ via I-80 to I-15 to 72nd or wherever

I'm starting to think that if you lived anywhere with access to the loop of freeway where I-80 east is the north side, I-15 is the west side, and 215 makes up the south and east sides, you'd be doing well too. figuring that your WJ is not far to the southwest of the far side of that loop via redwood rd or a jog on I-15 south to 90th or 72nd...then the U is just off the northeast side of that loop via foothill blvd. Then the canyons are just off the southeast side of the loop via wasatch blvd.

I think that's it! anywhere with quick access to that loop will do it.

You'd probably save some time to commute against the normal traffic flow so being around 7th east and i-80 so you're heading south to WJ (and east on I80/south on 215 to alta) in the morning while heavy traffic goes the other way. Also city streets to the U are no problem from there...

I don't know... some things to consider. good luck
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 11-24-2008 at 04:32 PM.

chris buttars is a black baby, a terrible dark thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

Im biased though. Sfotex and Skifishbum both live in Sandy, and sfotex is literally like 3 blocks away from me. Close Close to LCC...

I think I might even be closer than you guys. 2000 E @ 7200 S.

Ski commutes are very reasonable no matter where you live in SLC. I've gone from WVC to Snowbird in like 35-40 minutes before.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Explosion View Post
    Ski commutes are very reasonable no matter where you live in SLC. I've gone from WVC to Snowbird in like 35-40 minutes before.
    In general yeah, good point. But, just based on a couple dozen trips there, on days that the valley gets hit hard with snow too, don't the idiot drivers come out in droves on their 4 year old bald tires, or did it just seem like it?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    your 3 locations are at opposite ends of the valley so this is a tough one...
    Girlfriend is going to the U, not me... We won't be sharing housing, anyways. So, I've actually only got the two locations: 1) Work, and 2) happy-fun-times-LCC-BCC-access
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

then it's simple anywhere in the south valley. done.

that info about your GF is misleading!

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    In general yeah, good point. But, just based on a couple dozen trips there, on days that the valley gets hit hard with snow too, don't the idiot drivers come out in droves on their 4 year old bald tires, or did it just seem like it?
    roller derby days are fun days in salt lake.

sometimes I go driving just for shits and grins when it's like that. so much fun! not even being sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    roller derby days are fun days in salt lake.

sometimes I go driving just for shits and grins when it's like that. so much fun! not even being sarcastic
    Hell yeah. It's like moving slalom.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Girlfriend is going to the U, not me... We won't be sharing housing, anyways. So, I've actually only got the two locations: 1) Work, and 2) happy-fun-times-LCC-BCC-access
    I think the utards will need naked pics of the GF before making a fully ionformed response.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I think the utards will need naked pics of the GF before making a fully ionformed response.
    I concur. Not with Irul, but with Ublo.

The real question is what kind of beer do you drink?

Canned beer = West Side.

Bottled highly expensive UT State Liq. Store beer = Must live in Sandy with the beer snobs.
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 11-24-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I live in West Jordan.
    I don't mind living there.
    I commute to South Draper.
    I commute to Solitude.
    Both commutes are the same time wise.

If I lived in Sandy, both commutes would still be about the same, but I would be closer to the mtns and work.

With that said, I would like to be closer to the mountains, but who wouldn't.

FYI, there are some damn cheap nice houses in W. Jordan right now.
    I am of no help, huh.

So what office you workin at? Could stop over for beers after work.
    I agree. It takes me 30 minutes from my door to Snowbird on a decent Saturday morning, add 10-15 if there is snow on the road. East side or West side, all bets are off once in the canyon.
    There is a new policy for waiting at LCC when the canyon is closed for avalanche control. All vehicles will be stopped at the light on Wasatch Blvd. both southbound (LaCaille road) and at 9800 south. So unless you live in those houses at the mouth not many will get close to the mouth of the canyon until the gates are up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

worddd, or murray.

Cottonwood might be easier for the GF and you to split the commute.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post

Bottled highly expensive UT State Liq. Store beer = Must live in Sandy with the beer snobs.
    Did you just insinuate that I am a beer snob? I think you just made real beer snobs throw-up in their mouth’s a little bit.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I'm a good weed snob you got a problem with that BuZZY??
    Right on rtr look forward to meeting & makin some turns w/ you
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno