• dynafit/4 hole tele

12 20.00%
  • every ski gets its own bindings

21 35.00%
  • only one pair of skis (ha.)

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Dynafits are for girls. (that don't huck)

185 lbs. Dunno what his DIN was at but they're Comforts. Scarpa Lasers that don't fit super well. He landed it. Just sayin'.

(yeah, it's not huge, but it's respectable IMHO... and it was a hardish [10 inches of super light fluff], flat landing... so anyway)

Dobish... how light do you think you guys can make it? The BND plate is listed as half a pound (doesn't say whether that's per plate, or for both).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

threaded inserts into skis = drilling through bases and putting in t-nuts or really big holes into the ski.... adapter plate = 4 holes. some dynafit folks are all about the weight aspect, but even so, a machined aluminum plate is going to be less than a pair of dukes, or freerides, or even the pures, not to mention the fact that you still are not picking up the plate like you are with other AT bindings....

at $400 for bindings that are awesome, you would think someone would want to pay $60 to be able to use a couple of pairs of skis. That is why I am asking. If it doesn't seem like it would be something that people are interested in, i'm not going to bother making them. I have had a couple of people say they were interested in the tele option, so i am just doing a little bit of research to find out interest.
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

i am guessing that they will come in at somewhere lighter than 1/2 a pound, but i will need to see what we can do. if we go with just a dynafit, then it will be lighter, but if we add in a 4 hole pattern, it will be a little more obviously.... hopefully tomorrow i can get a better idea of weights.

Just to give you an idea, these weighed 200 grams per ski (less than half a pound). They were 1/4" billet aluminum and could take both a freeride and a hammerhead. The large holes milled out of the center really reduced the weight and if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone thinner aluminum with stainless threaded inserts a la 22designs 2nd ski plate. A 2 plate system thinner with inserts should be able to come in below half that.

Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

So, the actual cost for 2 skis with one pair of binders would be $120, since you would need two sets of plates. From my perspective the best part about this would be being able to run either AT or tele binders on the same set of skis, but then you potentially have more binders than skis.
    I don't like being outdoors Smithers, for one thing, there's too many fat children.

- Mr. Burns

Smile

Dynafits are for girls. (when they don't huck)
    Fixed it for you.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Dynafits are for girls. (that don't huck)
    quit flailing around so much.

no you're kinda right. you can't go super hard on dynafits, but if you're a good skier you can get away with alot on them. you can still go huge on dynafits, you just might break a pin and you have to stomp that shit.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    They were 1/4" billet aluminum and could take both a freeride and a hammerhead. The large holes milled out of the center really reduced the weight and if I had it to do all over again, I would have gone thinner aluminum with stainless threaded inserts a la 22designs 2nd ski plate. A 2 plate system thinner with inserts should be able to come in below half that.
    Nice work, but, I agree that threaded steel inserts are the way to go, not only for the thinner dimension but also to extend the plate's functional life. IMO, any Al alloy (even 7075) is way too soft for such a short thread span and high stress application, certainly if the user is switching or moving bindings with any frequency. Another steel alloy (HT 4340 or whatever is used for Grade 8 or equivalent hardware) would be better than SS. Studs with nuts would be better yet, so long as the protruding nut does not interfere with the binding function (it might get a bit close, especially on the front fixture).

I have pondered machining my own Dynafit mounting plates and, if and when I do, I'll likely use bicycle water bottle braze ons fixtures (5mm x. 0.8mm pitch) for my inserts. But if you guys make a 2- or 3-position Dynafit-only plate with steel inserts, I'll likely buy your product instead of fabricating my own. I would be interested in the plates not for the purpose of switching bindings between skis, but instead for (a) the ability to move bindings fore and aft to change boot center location; and (b) a more field serviceable setup on backcountry trips.

Hey dobish - are you planning on making them so that you can have adjustable (+/-) mount points?

yes.... probably 2 or 3 options for mounting...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    quit flailing around so much.

no you're kinda right. you can't go super hard on dynafits, but if you're a good skier you can get away with alot on them. you can still go huge on dynafits, you just might break a pin and you have to stomp that shit.
    Sounds like Markers. Ski on those too?

I've done tele inserts out of necessity for a friend. We did a small story with pics on it in Powder years ago. With a hammer, a drill, a screwdriver, ptex stick and a scraper, we pulled it off. But the aftermarket inserts for tele weakened the sticks and they broke a couple weeks later. But that was for a guy who rails 195 superbros tele these days. And he'll prolly be the only guy in the US to break those, eventually.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Sounds good
    I'd be in for 3 or 4 sets of dyno tele models
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I think its clear that there needs to be more r&d on din-rated sneakers.

i like the idea. what about making the plate to fit a dynafit as well as some popular alpine binding. that way you could not only change between skis but also have a set of bindings for charging and dynafits for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    i like the idea. what about making the plate to fit a dynafit as well as some popular alpine binding. that way you could not only change between skis but also have a set of bindings for charging and dynafits for touring.
    the only problem with doing an alpine binding is there is no standardized hole pattern... we will probably end up doing one for a dynafit/alpine binding at some point, but i will need to look into that a lot more...

So what became of this concept? I'd be interested in the Dynafit setup.

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    ...I would be interested in the plates not for the purpose of switching bindings between skis, but instead for (a) the ability to move bindings fore and aft to change boot center location...

A Dynafit/Salomon plate would be pretty sick. Perfect for a fun shape ski. Resort or backcountry. With the release of the Factor, Zzues, Radium it makes sense.

Sounds like Markers. Ski on those too?

you don't ride on dukes???
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

binding will have 3 holes for the 01, and probably 3 holes for the dynafit. it is being put into the computer as we speak, and will realistically be done by the turn of the year.

Any update? I could go for 2 sets

yeah, we had some other projects... looking like an eta of the prototype next week...

Sweetness.

Next up: A baseplate for toe and heel pieces that has a wider hole pattern than rando racing toothpicks.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Analysis complete. Captain I suggest that we switch the prototype to the forwards position.

Make it so.

Time to do some damage at A-Basin on Sunday.

fenris, i don't even want to know why you have lego men as your ski technicians....