bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?

Life Magazine @ Google

Life Magazine archive photos on Google: http://images.google.com/hosted/life

Search millions of photographs from the LIFE photo archive, stretching from the 1750s to today. Most were never published and are now available for the first time through the joint work of LIFE and Google.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

sweet heads up! 1750s?!

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    sweet heads up! 1750s?!
    Yeah, I just had to quote that one. I wonder how long it will take for that statement to be challenged...

On another note: http://images.google.com/images?q=skiing+source%3Alife
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

That's really cool T, thanks!!!!!

Were there even cameras in 1750?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    That's really cool T, thanks!!!!!

Were there even cameras in 1750?
    "cameras" yes, photographs... no.

So this one by William Henry Jackson of Yellowstone's Lower Falls, from 1871 [the year before the park was established, and is supposed to have helped influence Congress to in fact designate the park] is an 'albumen print'. Is that what they were using in the 1700's too? [photo jong]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Hugh Conway Guest
    No. Albumen prints were invented in 1850. Albumen is a fancy word for eggwhite. Mix Eggwhite + Salt solution. Dip paper in. Let dry. Coat paper with silver nitrate. Let dry in dark. Place paper under glass negative. Expose.

The camera obscura is a very old device. Before photography, the optical elements of a camera were used to project an image on a wall. It is said that painters like Vermeer used the devices to project a scene onto canvas and paint/trace the projected image. I believe the discovery of reactive chemicals and the correct combination that make "photographs" as we know it possible happened in the 1800s, hundreds of years after the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    The camera obscura is a very old device. Before photography, the optical elements of a camera were used to project an image on a wall. It is said that painters like Vermeer used the devices to project a scene onto canvas and paint/trace the projected image. I believe the discovery of reactive chemicals and the correct combination that make "photographs" as we know it possible happened in the 1800s, hundreds of years after the camera.

That's all correct.

Some great photos. Thanks for the link T.

Heli Skiing - the early days.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Speaking of ski boats . . . .

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Good page on early photography: http://www.neatorama.com/2006/08/29/...y-photography/

The world's first true photograph:

The grainy picture above is the world’s first photograph called "View from the Window at Le Gras" (circa 1826), taken and developed by French photographer pioneer Joseph Nicéphore Niépce. He called this process "heliography" or sun drawing - it certainly was a long process: the exposure time was about 8 hours.

x post in ski/snowboard for the ski related pics. People have found some cool things there.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=140752

I'm lovin' this archive. I was searching all sorts of US History tag words during class today, found some really awesome stuff.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

I worked for a company a while back that had the New York Times archive of negatives. I am digging these Life photos though.
    Talking shit about a pretty sunset.