Question Combined Setup: TELE & AT???

Sorry if this issue was covered elsewhere... BUT...

Can it be done???

More specifically, can I mount an NTN tele binding along with a Dynafit heel piece in order to combine telemark and AT skiing on the same ski?

My vision is to mount a NTN tele binding and also mount Dynafit AT heel pieces to my Atomic Janak skis. I then hope to purchase Scarpa's T-X Pro boot (Dynafit compatible). I hope this will create a tele and AT setup on the same ski.

The only potential problem I envision with this project is spacing the Dynafit heel piece high enough off the ski in order to match the spacing of the NTN setup. I hope to overcome this issue by shimming the Dynafit heel piece to the corresponding height of the NTN spacing.

Well, what do you think?

Is it possible!?

besides the height issue, which i think is almost a non issue, id think you might have some issues with decambering the ski in tele mode during a turn or hitting a bump and contact the dynafit heel which will then place a lot of stress at the base of the post

with the heel in tour, or tele-tour, the clearance is pretty minimal
    just touring around ive contact the heel a few times when i go through little gullies or something
    this would be a non issue if you just adjust the heel back when you dont want to lock down your heel to ski down.

the other issue id see is release when in AT downhill mode which may or may not be an issue for you

both of these are relatively small though i suppose

cool idea
    definitely possible unless theres something im missing beyond this

tgr thread on this last year

thread on telemarktips

good luck getting a reliable release out of a contraption like that....
    Last edited by Bud; 11-19-2008 at 06:04 PM.

why would you want to in the first place?

it has been done....frankentele, it is even on youtube

Thanks.

I've thought about the heel piece issue... my idea was to just move the Dynafit heel back a slight bit further to aviod "heel bump."

I know I may compromise a reliable release, but I'm still willing to try this.

Bud, I'll check out those threads... thanks!

mntlion, I want the best of BOTH worlds. I think this potential tele/at option will allow me to crank tele turns or apline turns depending on the given situation. I like doing both!

PM jarlybart. He's the resident frankentele rep on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

this is a good idea and has been accomplished by the above. the real problem is that it is kinda ghey and it costs an arm and 1 teste and its heavier than either.