Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Kirkwood Comp

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for some insight into competing in the MSI comps this year. It really sounds like fun and I have learned from climbing competitions that comps are a great way to meet people who are into what your into. Im thinking about registering on monday for the Kirkwood comp so I have a few questions... I'm 17 and live in Los Angeles where I ski a much as I can i.e. 20-30 days a year. (if Im lucky) I guess id consider myself a good skier but living in L.A. so I really dont have/know anyone to ski with that is way better than me. Am I going to get eaten alive in a comp?? It seems like ski comps are pretty laid back the way climbing comps are.

Basically I'd just like to hear your guys take on ski comps.

Thanks,
    Alex

Hello darkness my old friend

comps are sweet, definalty a fun time, you most likely will get eaten alive, but you never no untill you give it go, and yes comps are pretty laid back for the most part, positive vibes in most cases, the excessive drinking and debauchery can get out of hand, but as someone who competes on and off i would say go for it!
    fyi...i would also use the search function to get some more info, lots of threads about this
    Last edited by thebigeast; 11-16-2008 at 03:32 AM.
    ayuh

I think since you're 17 you'll be forced into the Juniors class. I too will be competing for the first time at Kirkwood, and intend to get royally destroyed. I'm just there to have fun.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by hofferfish View Post
    . 20-30 days a year. (if Im lucky)

Do you feel comfortable skiing gnarly, cliffy terrain? I used to work at the K-Wood medical clinic, and I saw some pretty good skiers get wrecked at those comps. I'm not at all trying to discourage you from participating, but the comp venue is on a pretty serious part of the mountain that is "permanently closed" most of the year, except for the comp. Just a courteous warning to brush up on your steep skiing skills....take a bunch of trips to Mammoth. Be safe and have fun, just be aware of what you're getting into.
    Fuckin' shit up since 1964

As long as you ski within your means (ie, don't do something way harder than anything you've done before) and won't get you feelings hurt if you get a really low score (even good skiers can get low scores, especially on their first comp when they don't know what the judges are looking for), you'll be fine and have a great time. Then again, plenty of guys do great their first time around.

Oh, and a hint... they fill up very quickly, so be ready to register right when it opens.

I think I'll be okay with the terrain. I have never done any major hucking but could ski all of the inbounds/hikable terrain in Jackson Hole last year no problem. It seems to me that being fluid and skiing fast can get you more points than hucking and wrecking tho.

Does anyone know the specific comp dates? I know the registration is tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    I think since you're 17 you'll be forced into the Juniors class. I too will be competing for the first time at Kirkwood, and intend to get royally destroyed. I'm just there to have fun.
    Im turning 18 soon so I guess I'll be in the regular category... I agree when it all comes down to it I just want to have fun as well
    Last edited by hofferfish; 11-16-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: more

Hey...you'll be totally OK since you know your stuff, and know your limits. Have fun and I send you my best wishes....just beware the mandatory 85 footer into the icy mogul field at the mid-way point.....................ha, just fuckin' with ya!!!! You'll do fine and you're sure to get laid by a hot cougar too!! Have a great time, and please don't break anything...the poor clinic staff is busy enough with bay area gapers.

Does anyone know the specific comp dates? I know the registration is tomorrow.
    MSI has it listed as March 19-23 which is odd to me because the 23rd is a Monday. All the other events on the tour end on a Sunday. So I'm not entirely sure that is accurate.

If you can get up to Kirkwood at least once this year to scope the venue, you should, I'd be happy to show you around.
    .))
    .))

I love these threads it gives me a place to think about this stuff. The Big East said that for the most part the comps are laid back. I never get that feeling, it maybe because I'm really nervous before these events and I always finish in the middle of the pack. (this will be my third year, maybe I'll do better this year) Most people are friendly when you talk to them and supportive no matter how well you ski. I'm not a big beer drinker or smoker before the start and I think that may keep me a little out on the fringes and keep my anxiety level higher then most. You'll see me sucking down red bulls before the start. (I could never figure out how people ski so well when their drunk or stoned). The first comp I did I told a ton of people I was doing it, when the time came I wished I hadn't. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I think it just added more pressure. As the time draws closer my nerves start kicking in and I start seeing others who are in the comp. Seeing other competitors can make me question my abilities. If you ski around Kirkwood you will see some of the best on the tour. I also ski with guys who are better then me who don't do comps and that really makes me question myself. However, the only run that matters is in the comp and I seem to lift my level a bit that day. After it is all done I am always stoked no matter how well I ski. My alarm is set for 6am so I will see you there. Good luck and enjoy your time. Lets hope we get some snow soon.

If you can get up to Kirkwood at least once this year to scope the venue, you should, I'd be happy to show you around.
    Thanks dude. Im not sure that will be a reality tho. Im pretty cash strapped right now.
    Is the venue the same every year at KWOOD? the whole cirque looks pretty gnarly.

Im hoping to do some trips to mammoth this year. I have a pass there so I just need to figure out how to do everything on the cheap... Has anyone ever tried staying in Bishop and skiing in Mammoth over a weekend? I have some climbing friends who are going up to Bishop over thanksgiving so Im gunna try staying in Bishop with them... Thats like 2 hours of driving per day of skiing..

MSI has it listed as March 19-23 which is odd to me because the 23rd is a Monday. All the other events on the tour end on a Sunday. So I'm not entirely sure that is accurate.
    Bad weather day?
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Thanks dude. Im not sure that will be a reality tho. Im pretty cash strapped right now.
    Is the venue the same every year at KWOOD? the whole cirque looks pretty gnarly.

The qualifier is always held on Lookout Vista and the Finals are held on the Cirque. The Cirque can't be skied on regular days anyways, but Lookout Vista is part of in-bounds territory.
    .))
    .))

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Biggin's View Post
    I used to work at the K-Wood medical clinic, and I saw some pretty good skiers get wrecked a
    ij jsut want to take amomnte to thank you for fixing my borken ass a few times over the years when I hausled my ass into the lcinic to get ifxied. never during the comp but other dimes when I fell down a really stepp line and bounced off some rocks. i remember some hot nurse shoottin g me int he ass with soem pain killers. arty wast here thank you arty too. i think he drove me home?
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    ij jsut want to take amomnte to thank you for fixing my borken ass a few times over the years when I hausled my ass into the lcinic to get ifxied. never during the comp but other dimes when I fell down a really stepp line and bounced off some rocks. i remember some hot nurse shoottin g me int he ass with soem pain killers. arty wast here thank you arty too. i think he drove me home?
    A Ty DPPS!!! YES!!!

That was an interesting day at the clinic if I remember correctly. Wasn't there a dude in there with a broken femur or something? And yes, many thanks to the clinic folk. They did a killer job stitching up my gnarled lip. You've gotta love volcanic rock.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

comps are about supporting each others' aspirations. They're not actually competitive at all. If you have something to give other competitors, then you should compete. If you want to just enter to check out the scene, you should also compete... but just do so with the aspiration of just checking it out.

If you are modest enough, the world's best will be giving you advice because they envy you.

By all means... enter... just please be polite around the world's elite... many have been doing this for longer than you have been alive. And- they get all gooey for kids that take advice.

WOW! That filled Fast. its 7:06 MST and there are 5 spots left!!!

No problem, happy to have helped...I've skied with you and Len a time or 2 as well.

That was crazy how fast it sold out. Also how cool was $125 for the qualifiers. I thought that World Tour events were $175 for qualifiers. I'm stoked I got in. I bet there are a ton of bummed out guys out there who woke up right at 7MST and missed it just by the time it took for their computers to boot up. There going to need a qualifier for the qualifier next year. Its great to see the sport growing. I can't believe comps like Red Mountain don't sell out faster.

WOW! That filled Fast. its 7:06 MST and there are 5 spots left!!!

Those pain killers seem to still be working.

HAHA thanks for the drunk dial last night!

I think she fixed my face for me once our twice too!
    Last edited by kush1; 11-17-2008 at 03:49 PM.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Wow, after a post like that I'm glad Tyrone was able to get up in time to register.
    .))
    .))

Follow-up to this. The calendar on www.kirkwood.com has the event listed as March 18-22, which makes much more sense to me. Someone who has done these things before, how does the day distribution go? One recon day, one qualifier day, two finals days and a superfinals day?
    .))
    .))

Hey hofferfish: This^ is what happens to your brain after too many comps.

Wear a good helmet.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

How come I can't register?

Is it already full, or hasn't the registration been opened? It looks like just the waitlist is clickable...