Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Steamboat Trees

Steamboat Trees

Not talking about the sticky ones right now, but that'd be great if a local could hook it up.

Anyways, I've been lurking the sh*t out of this forum for a while and I need some help. 2 buddies and I are going to Steamboat the week of Jan 3-10 and we've been wondering which runs have the best tree skiing? We're advanced/intermediate riders. We went to Breck last year and really liked the style of runs on Peak 7. The runs could've been steeper for sure, but the open, ungroomed style is what we're after.

all the trees at steamboat were either chopped down or burned away

there is no good skiing at Steamboat, its all flat intermediate groomers
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

will be out in the boat the same week. if we happened to come across one another I could possibly show you a couple places, but you would have to be blindfolded. Or, you can buy one of the pirate maps like all the gapers do.

but, laseranimal is right, steamboat sucks, stay at breck.

If you have already slain the sickgnar of Breck's Peak 7, I recommend skiing around the Morningside lift and the stuff over XMas Tree Bowl, N St Pats, and beyond. Just keep working your way around that side of the mountain. Most of this stuff is on trail maps so not exactly state secrets.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

ski howelsen hill it has better trees than werner

The no no local secrets of steamboat

The finest tree skiing Steamboat has to offer is refferred to by the locals as "the canyon". This area is host to a variety of expert terrain from fun tree skiing to "in your face" cliffs and chutes. Where is the shang-gri-la located you ask? Ride the sushine express lift and search the trees in between Flintlock and Tomahawk. Uncork a bottle of champagne powder my friend you are in luck.

Heheh. I fell into a creek in there one late season. Sucked.

LOOKING FOR SOME TREES TO POUND YOUR BRO IN HIS FUDGE HOLE, EH?
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

good luck finding a local to show you the best lines. Go explore the mountain yourself and stop asking for locals to hold your hand while skiing.

Bark beetles. Steamboat tree skiing is over.

Steamboat trees strike again. Vibes to the victim and their loved ones.
    Skier dies at Steamboat Resort after falling in tree well

awful. RIP.

I was there this weekend, skied Closets with my kiddo. We even talked about tree wells and how to avoid them. Seeing this news is a little scary.

RIP.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I was there this weekend, skied Closets with my kiddo. We even talked about tree wells and how to avoid them. Seeing this news is a little scary.

RIP.
    It's "closet" -the name came from an alternate pronunciation of "closed" (Claws-edd)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    It's "closet" -the name came from an alternate pronunciation of "closed" (Claws-edd)
    Thanks for the nitpicking, I'm glad it was important enough to you for you to bump. Your bump would have been improved, however, if it were correct. Regardless of historic origins, on the Steamboat website, it's listed as "Closets".
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks for the nitpicking, I'm glad it was important enough to you for you to bump. Your bump would have been improved, however, if it were correct. Regardless of historic origins, on the Steamboat website, it's listed as "Closets".
    Not nitpicking Mr Thinskinned, just giving some history. I lived there many moons ago, and it was was called "closet" then. Someone decided to rename it since then I guess...

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/...ty-of-sources/

apparently some still refer to it by the old name

https://blog.steamboat.com/secret-st...amboat-part-1/

First time at Steamboat many, many years ago, I had looked forward to champagne powder and tree skiing. I left immensely underwhelmed. I went back not too long ago, and ended up skiing with a local. He took me around the place and through some of his favorite tree runs. There happened to have been an overnight dump of about 10" or so, and it was a lot of fun trying to keep up with an ex-downhill racer. However, the snow was not like champagne but more like a nice porter; rich and creamy. At some point in my personal tour of Steamboat and his favorite runs, he blazed up a doobie. He kindly offered me a toke, but at the time, I worked for a company that did random drug testing, and I sometimes would operate heavy machinery, so I had to politely decline the offer. No matter, later on as we were loading up on a slow moving double, he being somewhat stoned, hooked his tips as we disembarked, and did a face plant. It would have been really funny, except he really hit hard with a thud! Luckily, my personal tour guide for the day, was no worse for wear, and we continued on our magical ski adventure of Steamboat.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    Not nitpicking Mr Thinskinned, just giving some history. I lived there many moons ago, and it was was called "closet" then. Someone decided to rename it since then I guess...

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/...ty-of-sources/
    You're a nitpicking idiot..... From the article you linked:

The “Closets” area got its name from the locals, Werner said.

“It was closed but they would ski it,” he said.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    You're a nitpicking idiot..... From the article you linked:
    Really now - don't finish that victory lap just yet. And this is silly, but set the wayback machine for 2010 and there ya go..And I wasn't aware of the name change, been a while since I've been there. But it happened in the last decade sometime apparently.

Can we all just agree that arguing over whether or not a run name has a letter at the end of it in a 12 year old thread is fucking pointless?

Naw, you're just further proving my point about how much of an idiot you are..... That is, arguing over a "S" on the end of a trail name. I really don't care either way.

Vibes to the skier that perished in a tree well, definitely sad.

I think both the nit pickers need to come out of their closets
    . . .

I'm sorry I referenced the name of a run I read on trail signs and trail maps, was just adding some personal context to the tragic story.

I'm sorry I referenced the name of a run I read on trail signs and trail maps, was just adding some personal context to the tragic story.
    I didn't mean to hijack this, the tragedy is horrible. So many accidents lately. I remember one day at Steamboat, skiing thru some trees just off the trail and heard a faint voice. Found some guy upside-down in a treewell, otherwise unhurt. Recruited some folks off the trail to help haul him out.
    I just pointed out that some marketing dickweed apparently took it upon themselves to rename this esteemed area after 40 years.

Name:  Steamboat_Closet..JPG
Views: 484
Size:  44.6 KB
    Last edited by DaveTV; 02-18-2020 at 08:02 PM.