Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    the heav is the shiat along with Kirkwood. It just doesn't get nearly the snow that Kirkwood gets, so yeah kirkwood is better in that respect hands down. What blows about Kirkwood is that the best aspect to that mountain is the cirque which happens to be closed to the public. That's the only beef I have with kirkwood. It would be like closing down the Palisades at Squaw or Keyhole at Alpine
    Last edited by StormTrooper; 11-11-2008 at 11:55 PM.

kirkwood needs your money the most. why dont ya help em out and buy a pass so they can stay open through new years after which it'll go bellyup

Quote Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
    What blows about Kirkwood is that the best aspect to that mountain is the cirque which happens to be closed to the public. It would be like closing down the Palisades at Squaw or Keyhole at Alpine
    I don't know about that. Keyhole and Palisades are both pretty tame compared to the Cirque - and much much smaller in scale - both acreage and vertical.

Still, I wish they would open it, but it is not the same.

If you live in SLT you might want to get a Heavenly pass too just so you can get in partial days without the long (and now expensive) 45 minute drive to Kirkwood each way. Some days you just want a couple laps, you know?

Motts and Kilabrew canyons are actually pretty good, plus there is the aforementioned tree skiing. But Kirkwood is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ja_surf View Post
    More groom more better
    I've never been one to tell anyone how to run their business, but this is where I draw the line. It's like the Heave is daring me to not bring my disposable income and "level 6" girlfriend to their hill anymore. Every time I try to make an excuse for having a Heavenly pass they go and do something that makes it inexcusable.

Unbelievable.

BSS Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gisforgaper View Post
    I've never been one to tell anyone how to run their business, but this is where I draw the line. It's like the Heave is daring me to not bring my disposable income and "level 6" girlfriend to their hill anymore. Every time I try to make an excuse for having a Heavenly pass they go and do something that makes it inexcusable.

Unbelievable.
    Completely. That's why I've been saying KW is the only logical choice. Tell everybody.

Plus just think of all the free concrete and rebar you'll get with that pass.

Kirkwood is the best Tahoe resort hands down......if you dont believe me go to Squaw or Heavenly on a powder day instead.
    LET IT SNOW

Quote Originally Posted by BSS View Post
    Completely. That's why I've been saying KW is the only logical choice. Tell everybody.

Plus just think of all the free concrete and rebar you'll get with that pass.
    yes, but with heavenly you get the concrete and the rebar, plus unbelievable hole ownership opportunities. Rags, I say buy a heavenly pass, and then I'll show you all the gates and some other secret stashes. Actually, rather than show you, I'll post them here.

btw- how did you change your name? did you have to go to the county clerk?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by gisforgaper View Post

Unbelievable.
    I bet these cuts bring the Heave more business. Most resorts, and especially the Heave, make their money from intermediate groomer loving tourist. Besides, there is still hundreds of acres in there that remain untouched. Try going ten feet to the left or right of the cut.

I would actually support KW catering more to the intermediate group, as long as it kept my pass price down. Honestly, the tourons are good for preserving powder.

As for the Heave vs. KW on a powder day? I'd say KW gets tracked faster. There is a boat load of good terrain in the woods at the Heave, and more than half the people on the hill never leave the cut runs.

Rags - invest in a Heave pass if you are living in SLT. It will make all the road closure and power outage days worth it. And you could even go out for a two hour lunch break.

He's living in SLT and working weekends right? If the OP has the means, I would go with a mid-week pass for both the heave and the wood. He could probably get a mid-week pass at both resorts for roughly the same price as one 7 day with no blackout dates.

Next year he would then be able to make an informed decision. Most people prefer Kirkwood for snow quality, variety, challenge, BC access and small crowds; but the heave mid-week does has it's merits too (proximity, view, trees, reliability).

Parting shot: Heavenly is like a Toyota. It looks great new and rarely breaks down; however, it's inspiration factor is on par with what cheesburgers are to Mcdonalds.

that would be work out great if either resort offered a midweek pass. the cheapest it can be currently done without some special deal is $289 for kirkwoods 6-wood and $379 for Heavenly's Value Pass. Still $668 for skiing two great mountains every day except 7 is not bad.