Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Jackson/Targhee/Teton Conditions Thread.

The Official Jackson/Targhee/Teton Conditions Thread.

Looks like it is snowing pretty hard up at Teton Pass. There are also alot of people up there according to the cams. Any mags up there?

"Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

I just hiked out to the top of black's canyon. It's not snowing too hard yet, but it looks like its on its way!

It's been mostly just foggy up there recently. Did a few laps on Avy Bowl...tried to ski Static the other day....but low vis turned us back.
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

Any beta on the snow amount on top of the pass?
    "Slid into the cave where Rocky was waiting with the bong and the snowlerblades"

I know someplace nearby that's good...

Date: 11/10/2008
    Time: 1400
    Snow Water Equivalent (inches): 4.4
    Snow Depth (inches):19.4
    Elevation: 9,500+

Sorry, you'll have to figure where out where it is on your own... shouldn't be too hard

looks like snow til friday.

i just got back from tele bowl for a quick lap or two around 4pm...

deep and soft- over a foot of deepness the past several days. manky for sure. it'll be a good, solid base building snow. wasn't snowing much at all while i was there- just socked in with clouds/mist. didn't hit bottom at all. definitely decent skiing. it was raining lightly pretty far up the pass from the jackson side, but not at the top.

wind seemed to be picking up, was much colder up top. maybe the west side of the pass is fairing better? word of mouth up there- top of glory was good- saw 2 guys coming down twin slides, lookers right-slide. scratchy. so maybe a bit more would help that cause.

be back early AM for some laps. will post.
    Last edited by ono; 11-12-2008 at 05:49 PM.

damn- if you didn't hit bottom in telemark bowl then its gotten considerably deeper since saturday...

i'm sure the ghee and towgotee are better right now, but if theres enough new snow that telemark bowl is good, i bet that eidleweiss and avy bowl are skiing decent (skied avy bowl on monday and had a mix of good turns and hitting bottom)

yeah... definitely deeper since saturday. and thicker if i recall. didn't ski, but walked around. there's probably an 8-10" harder base, and 12"+ of mank in telemark. its got a lot more water content now- it sponged up. they're calling for more tonight, so we'll see the consistency in the morning. i'll be out around 8am. hoping for more good- which is what it was today.

update- the pass was in better shape this morning- then again this afternoon when i went for a repeat. still pretty heavy, but has dried out some. the top couple inches were pellets/graupel and pretty sweet at that once you started to float. got in some nice untracked turns. wind was howling, depositing snow on into the well-tracked bowls- tele, olympic, etc. it was damn fun, and was definitely feeling the goodness today.
    Last edited by ono; 11-13-2008 at 09:54 PM.

I skied the ghee the past two days, not today, but its in great shape. On Tuesday, there was about six inches of pow sitting on a heavy density snow base which made for some good turns without hitting much. Yesterday there was another 6 to 8 inches of new on top of that and other than not being able to see more than ten feet, you could pretty much charge full on. Tomorrow, however i get to try out the new sled at togwotee and have a feeling the turns are gonna be pretty sweet there with the latest snotel reading at 25 inches at the road! Its like Christmas when a brand new SkiDoo Xp shows up, yee haw!

Low viz at the Ghee'?

Unpossible.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Balls taking a brand new sled out this early...

Togwotee sucks right now, anyway

I am going Mt. biking tomorrow AM on frozen trails, no snow below 7500, AFIK.
    Why the fuck not, should be (hopefully) the last ride of the season...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Seems like the webcam on the pass is muffed up, its showingpics from 6 hrs ago, not updating, anyonge know whats up?

those cameras have been doing that off and on for the past couple days.

snow- maybe crusted up in the pass this AM... gotta go see.

Heard it rained all the way to the top of Targhee night before last and a good chunk of the base is gone.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Quote Originally Posted by MuleSkinner View Post
    Heard it rained all the way to the top of Targhee night before last and a good chunk of the base is gone.
    . Saw the Daily which said they were considering opening tomorrow, a week early. That doesn't sound too likely now, whaddya think MS?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sonofabitch! I choose to reject you're facts and will continue to believe it snowed the entire time top to bottom. (since I am headed over tomorrow)
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

it might snow this afternoon which could make for a good time tomorrow.... the ghee doesn't need all that much of a base in some cool sections (which may not be rad enough for you, kush )

Quote Originally Posted by kush1 View Post
    Sonofabitch! I choose to reject you're facts and will continue to believe it snowed the entire time top to bottom. (since I am headed over tomorrow)
    Let me know if you end up going. I don't have to work till 3pm and we have a free pass there if they open early. I might possibly do Mon/Tues too.
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

Unfortunately, the news is true and was confirmed. They were thinking of possibly opening sat and supposedly that is no longer the case. I am still thinking of heading over and going for a skin sat morning.
    Last edited by MuleSkinner; 11-14-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

Quote Originally Posted by NippleHighPow View Post
    Let me know if you end up going. I don't have to work till 3pm and we have a free pass there if they open early. I might possibly do Mon/Tues too.
    So I shouldn't let you know since they aren't opening? You to lazy to skin these days man?

I am headed over for sure tomorrow, I have been patient enough.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

I went for a skin at the pass yesterday as a matter of fact. I just prefer lifts. A whole lot less sweating. I could be interested, but I'll see how intoxicated I get tonight. For now I'll just watch snow guns in the village.
    "Figure if I study high, take the test high, I'll get high scores..." -Redman

Targhee snotel reading 22.5 inches at 9260 ft. It must not have rained that hard.